Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 over heating

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a shop about 6 mins from my house would it be safe to drive there?
Old 08-24-2016, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

my bet would be it has a air lock in it still, jack the front of the car up with the radiator cap open start the car use a shop vacuum with a rag over the top of the fill point and cup the vacuum with your hands to use the shop vac to suck the air bubbles through the system y will be able to hear the bubble move through and the level of you radiator will drop about a qt. lets see a picture of the radiator do you have a fan shroud? are your fans coming on? how are they controlled?
Old 08-24-2016, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by E.rodz
my bet would be it has a air lock in it still, jack the front of the car up with the radiator cap open start the car use a shop vacuum with a rag over the top of the fill point and cup the vacuum with your hands to use the shop vac to suck the air bubbles through the system y will be able to hear the bubble move through and the level of you radiator will drop about a qt. lets see a picture of the radiator do you have a fan shroud? are your fans coming on? how are they controlled?

Old 08-24-2016, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanmanls1
i found the steam ports how exactly do I bleed them?
The front steam ports are connected by a crossover tube which has a T in it with a hose from it going to the radiator neck... remove this hose from the T and let air out (to avoid making a mess, redirect whatever comes out using a length if clear tube so you can see when air stops).
Old 08-24-2016, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks like your steam tube hose goes to the neck of the radiator under the cap. This will not work...period, and it's trapping air in your system. Move your steam tube hose to that bung that's plugged off under the radiator cap.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by s14hunter
It looks like your steam tube hose goes to the neck of the radiator under the cap. This will not work...period, and it's trapping air in your system. Move your steam tube hose to that bung that's plugged off under the radiator cap.
Ok thank you. So I attach it to the radiator where the black piece of foam is? Why would the person I bought it from have it set up like this? Also, should I keep the line coming from the transmission cooler attached to the hose under the cap or join it with the steam hose?
Old 08-24-2016, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Ok thank you. So I attach it to the radiator where the black piece of foam is? Why would the person I bought it from have it set up like this? Also, should I keep the line coming from the transmission cooler attached to the hose under the cap or join it with the steam hose?
Let's start here. Which type of radiator cap do you have?

Old 08-24-2016, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Let's start here. Which type of radiator cap do you have?

1st one
Old 08-24-2016, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Okay, so your cap is sealing off the radiator UNDER that hose. That port on the neck of the radiator is for an overflow tank. So when the pressure in the radiator becomes more than the cap's rated pressure, the cap will open up and bleed off that pressure to the overflow tank. Nothing should be ran to that port except an overflow tank, THAT'S IT.
Whoever ran the steam tube and trans-cooler lines together and into that port on the radiator is a re-tard.

Last edited by s14hunter; 08-24-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

+1 correct, the steam port outlet must be located underneath the radiator cap valve.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

As for the trans cooler line, I'm not an automatic guy by any means. Maybe someone more familiar can chime in on where/how to route that line.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by joecar
+1 correct, the steam port outlet must be located underneath the radiator cap valve.
So I have to run the line to the outlet with rubber type of cap on it? Sorry just double checking
Old 08-24-2016, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

The air has to accumulate under the rad cap valve, as pressure increases the rad cap valve vents the air into the overflow bottle.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

So I have to run the line to the outlet with rubber type of cap on it? Sorry just double checking
Yes. It's probably a threaded bung. If it doesn't have a barb fitting then you'll need to run to the hardware store.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Yes. It's probably a threaded bung. If it doesn't have a barb fitting then you'll need to run to the hardware store.
Thank you Sir!!! I was wondering since they had it like that for so low has it caused damage to the engine?
Old 08-25-2016, 09:33 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you Sir!!! I was wondering since they had it like that for so low has it caused damage to the engine?
If you don't have any signs of a blown head gasket, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
On a side note, since you're not running A/C, if you really want a well sorted cooling system you could run a degas/surge tank.
Basically the steam tube(s) get routed to the top of the tank, and the bottom of the tank gets tee'd into the heater core return hose. See the pics below.
You have to make sure of two things:
1. The tank is the highest point of the system.
2. The cap on the radiator is either a non-pressure cap (like the one on the right in the above pic), or rated at a higher pressure than the one on the degas/surge tank.

With this type of setup, you'll have zero chance of air being trapped anywhere in the system which makes the system as efficient as possible and run cooler than basic overflow setups.
Also, you'll never have to bleed or burp the cooling system. Since the degas/surge tank is the highest point, any air in the system will automatically find it's way to the tank, get pressurized and bled off.

Last edited by s14hunter; 08-25-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Ok so the port the the rubber piece on it has no threads. its just a nipple coming out of radiator. Can I buy a fitting to fit the steam hose or should I use the threaded port below with the brass type of plug in it
Old 08-25-2016, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

Either attach a hose and down size it somehow to fit the smaller steam tube hose. Or use that plugged port under it, and get a hose barb fitting that threads into that spot.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

UPDATE!!!! Ok So I have the steam hose hooked up and ran the over flow byitself to the top port.. DID I DO THIS RIGHT?!!?
Old 08-25-2016, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Now do I still need to bleed out the steam ports? Also thank you guys for the help y'all are FREAKIN awesome

Quick Reply: ls1 over heating