Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T56 Reverse Lockout with E-brake

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default T56 Reverse Lockout with E-brake

This is just to give everyone another option for hooking up the reverse lockout solenoid on a T56, that's using a PCM from a truck with a 4.8/5.3/6.0/6.2
The truck PCM's aren't wired for the Reverse Lockout on pin# 44 and can't be programmed to use it.
Sorry for no pics, but this one is really easy and straight forward.

WIRING ON SENSOR
A: LT. GREEN - Switched Ground with E-brake handle wire
B: PINK - Switched +12v with key on

I ran the PINK wire over to the Reverse Light Switch on the trans and spliced into the BROWN wire, which is switched 12v
I ran the LT. GREEN wire up by the shifter, drilled a small hole (use a rubber grommet), and spliced into the one wire going to the E-brake handle.

FUNCTION
With the key on and the E-brake pulled (just enough for the dash light to come on), the reverse lockout solenoid will activate and open the gate to reverse.
I've been running mine this way and it works really well. If I need to back into a parking spot, I pull the E-brake up one click to activate the dash light and shift into reverse easy peasy!

If you need a pigtail for the reverse lockout solenoid go here:

https://www.eficonnection.com/home/p...nector-pigtail
Old 08-24-2016, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool idea.... I like it!
Old 08-25-2016, 06:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just use a Hurst Line Lock button.... hit the button and both my line lock and the reverse lockout gets activated.. I have tried to use a switch between, but the switch I must have used, cuts the volts and it cause the line lock to not activate, so I just wire them together...
Old 08-25-2016, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With HP Tuners 3.0 software and the segment swap functionality being implemented in the programs main interface you can segment swap over T56 transmission info from a Camaro in some applications. This will allow for normal RLO functionality.

However, this is a great alternative and nice write-up!
Old 08-25-2016, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by jcvett56
With HP Tuners 3.0 software and the segment swap functionality being implemented in the programs main interface you can segment swap over T56 transmission info from a Camaro in some applications. This will allow for normal RLO functionality.

Can someone confirm this? I just downloaded 3.0 (although I think there are firmware updates) and only opened the segment swap function.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jcvett56

That's great to know! I'll be asking my tuner about this in the future.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Interesting idea, but wouldn't a button or switch be easier than using the brake?
Old 08-26-2016, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Most people use the brake lights

Tap into the stop light wire with the pink wire and ground the green. The rev lock solenoid is released when on the brakes. Most people already have the brake depressed when switching from forward to reverse gears, so this wont change driving style
Old 08-26-2016, 07:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pocket
Most people use the brake lights

Tap into the stop light wire with the pink wire and ground the green. The rev lock solenoid is released when on the brakes. Most people already have the brake depressed when switching from forward to reverse gears, so this wont change driving style
That is another option, and a well documented one. I didn't want to wear out my solenoid faster by having it constantly switching with the brake pedal.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Interesting idea, but wouldn't a button or switch be easier than using the brake?
To each their own. I'm not a fan of tacky toggle switches and prefer to keep things as OE as possible.
The only other idea I had was to make a spring loaded, pull-up collar under the shift **** that would ground the circuit when pulled up. Much like a few cars have from the factory. Kinda like this:

Old 08-26-2016, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Whats keeping you from switching PCMs? The classic 0411 box controls the function just fine and is a very similar pinout to most green/blue boxes

The shifter mounted switch is a nice idea, but you'll be flexing and bending the wires with every gear change. You worry about a dead solenoid, but wires can only be bent so many times before they break. They are metal afterall
Old 08-27-2016, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pocket
The shifter mounted switch is a nice idea, but you'll be flexing and bending the wires with every gear change. You worry about a dead solenoid, but wires can only be bent so many times before they break. They are metal afterall
I have been using the Hurst LIne Lock switch on my shifter for 10+ years without any issue... just saying..

BC
Old 03-13-2017, 09:22 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I got reverse lockout programming working in my p59 Blue green truck pcm swap. I did have to do a segment swap with a manual trans segment to get it working. Now my pcm controls the reverse lockout and a shift light. This is the way to do it guys, there's no reason to do it any other way. Some will say that there is no manual transmission segment available for XXXOS, but there is always a way to hex edit a manual transmission segment into pretty much any OS as I am using a 2003 Suburban flex fuel OS with a custom manual transmission segment swap.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by i420tom
I got reverse lockout programming working in my p59 Blue green truck pcm swap. I did have to do a segment swap with a manual trans segment to get it working. Now my pcm controls the reverse lockout and a shift light. This is the way to do it guys, there's no reason to do it any other way. Some will say that there is no manual transmission segment available for XXXOS, but there is always a way to hex edit a manual transmission segment into pretty much any OS as I am using a 2003 Suburban flex fuel OS with a custom manual transmission segment swap.
@i420tom, any more info on this? Am in the process of p59 swapping my t56 fbody for flex fuel capabilities. I also like having things as close to OEM functionality as possible. I do have HP tuners and fairly advanced computer knowledge. Would be happy to learn more about getting the reverse lockout to work in my tune.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:48 PM
9 Second Club

If you have the same OS as me, it'll be an easy transmission segment swap, mine is working 100%, I'm even using the hptuners shift light settings. Works great.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:04 PM

Not 100% sure on the OS as I don't have it hooked up yet. What did you use to get the segment from?
Old 03-26-2018, 08:04 AM
9 Second Club

Hex editor
Old 03-26-2018, 08:53 AM

Could you be a little more specific? Or point me in the right direction to learn more myself?

Quick Reply: T56 Reverse Lockout with E-brake