Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does LS1 have a VIN or serial number that gives away the year?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Does LS1 have a VIN or serial number that gives away the year?

I live in California and am doing a 240SX swap. For smog purposes, I have to run all emission gear that came with the motor. But since all LS1 blocks are the same, could I not just get an LS6 intake manifold and eliminate the EGR so that I can say the motor is, say, a 2001 in order to simplify the swap (oh, and gain HP, too)? Is there a VIN or serial number on the block (besides the block code on the back below the head, which won't be seen) that readily gives away the year of the block (and would NOT allow me to lie to the ref about the year)?
Old 08-24-2016, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StorminMatt
I live in California and am doing a 240SX swap. For smog purposes, I have to run all emission gear that came with the motor. But since all LS1 blocks are the same, could I not just get an LS6 intake manifold and eliminate the EGR so that I can say the motor is, say, a 2001 in order to simplify the swap (oh, and gain HP, too)? Is there a VIN or serial number on the block (besides the block code on the back below the head, which won't be seen) that readily gives away the year of the block (and would NOT allow me to lie to the ref about the year)?
Aluminum blocks have a casting with the last digits of the year in the front of them
Old 08-24-2016, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks pretty hidden, though.

Quick Reply: Does LS1 have a VIN or serial number that gives away the year?