Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 + 07 Corvette T56 TRANSAXLE?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 + 07 Corvette T56 TRANSAXLE?!?!?!?

Yes, I searched on this forum for advice on this but was unable to find anything that helped.. maybe it's the 28th hour awake creeping up on me.

So I just got off the phone with JEGS and they said that the 2007 Corvette T56 Trans I just purchased will not work with my 69 Camaro build. The reason for this is because that transmission is meant to be mated to a transaxle? Which.. will not work with my LS1 (LM7) conversion/swap?

Here are some pics (provided the powers that be have allowed a plebe like myself to post them yet)
Attached Thumbnails LS1 + 07 Corvette T56 TRANSAXLE?!?!?!?-img_4910.jpg   LS1 + 07 Corvette T56 TRANSAXLE?!?!?!?-img_4912.jpg   LS1 + 07 Corvette T56 TRANSAXLE?!?!?!?-img_4489.jpg   LS1 + 07 Corvette T56 TRANSAXLE?!?!?!?-img_4486.jpg  
Old 09-09-2016, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What's the question?

My question is, why did you order one for a Vette?

Here is a Vette transmission, it is mounted at the rear of the car on the rear / transaxle.

I think it can be made to fit right behind the engine & use a traditional driveshaft, but requires more parts. You should just buy a regular transmission.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:38 AM

Allow me to sweeten the cherry on this one. The engine supposedly has 139k miles. However.. a quick VIN check reveals that the truck this engine was pulled from had 299k miles in September 2015. So.. 309k now? So now we're talking about a $580 rebuild kit (pistons, bearings, gaskets etc.) + machining and checking the block, possibly needing to bore it just to get decent compression? I should've just bought a pull out. At least then I would've gotten a legit LS1 + T56 minus the Headaches.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:40 AM

Why? Because.. I'm an idiot who thought I saw somewhere that I could pop one of these in into my LM7. Isn't there a year for the vettes where this is a possibility? lol.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of good info here and also a first gen
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...to-a-Fbody-one
Old 09-09-2016, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Transaxle in a Camaro sounds kind of fun IYAM.

Seriously though, the link above covers the conversion.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:51 PM

Thank you all for your help and input. Today has been very and lightning to say the least :-)
Old 09-09-2016, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

What just happened?
Old 09-09-2016, 07:57 PM

1024hrs - Immediate ground support requested by LFX. It turns out a wrong part was purchased.

0030+hrs - Bravo Command dispatches a 3 personnel squad to rv location. A joint operation spearheaded by Samckitt, Jenson, and Itsslo was conducted. The BDA identified key flaws in LFX's logistical "Late Model Corvette based T56" + Transaxle operation. Further analysis revealed the lack of "Napa-Know-How" required, by LFX, to assemble and implement this component into the early model 69 Camaro. Working on a limited budget, set forth by the Secretary of Defense, LFX is unable to proceed with the implementation of this T56 due to a combination of factors; lack of competent manpower at location, depleted funds, and Journeyman/Master technical requirements necessary for fluid functionality.

1121hrs - Wing Commander orders mission to be aborted.

1125hrs - EVAC personnel arrive. 0 enemy KIA, 0 friendly KIA. One 07 Corvette T56 Tranny is left collecting dust until LFX sells it on the black market.

Debrief/Lessons Learned:

-Dont get excited when you see T56 and a low price tag. Check for compatibility.

-Scour the forums for specifications

-Bite the pillow at night to ease the pain of having dropped a grand on a "useless to you" transmission.

-Generously lubricate yourself before buying second hand parts.

---///End of Statement///---
Old 09-10-2016, 11:26 AM
12 Second Club

1223 Hrs - Reader thoroughly entertained by your post, not your troubles to be clear. The manner in which you described the situation.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Droptopws6
1223 Hrs - Reader thoroughly entertained by your post, not your troubles to be clear. The manner in which you described the situation.
haha thank you. Gotta have a sense of humor. It could always be worse. Couldve bought a 2005 Scion Tc for 6 grand cash for your girlfriend, driven it for 20miles off the lot only for it to break down and leave you s.o.l on the highway, and tried to have diagnose the problem in an idiotic fashion such as cranking the engine repeatedly until you lock it, threw money at it and paid several craigslist "mechanics" to diagnose the issue, only to eventually buy a refurbished engine and paid for the engine + install a grand total of $2870, and then hand the keys back to the girlfriend only for her to drink and drive and total the car the day after the repair. Did I mention the mechanical failure was just the fuel pump which only cost $40? Break up with her, forget to remove the insurance and she causes 100k worth of damage to city property, you find out a year later after the fact when the insurance company tells you that they'll be lawyering up to fight the damages assessed.. Only you weren't calling the insurance company to update your insurance, you were just checking on the status of your claim because you were involved in an accident during a tornado and since the cops couldn't come out to do a police report you had to shell out $2000 for your deductible because neither party could prove who was at fault.

Then the Volkswagen Diesel Scandal begins and you have the chance to wipe this large bill of stupidity totally clean. And you buy the wrong transmission.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Get a T56 Magnum and don't look back.

Andrew

Quick Reply: LS1 + 07 Corvette T56 TRANSAXLE?!?!?!?