Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator inlet/ outlet

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 07:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator inlet/ outlet

Doing a swap...6.0 in earlier Ford...has a Griffin rad with Rh upper tank inlet and a Lh lower tank inlet..
would it matter which out let on engine went where? Or do it have to have same side in/out on rad?
Thanks
Old 11-30-2016, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Default radiator inlet/outlet

The LS engine is a bit weird as the inlet is where the thermostat is and the outlet is at the top of the pump, that being said it really doesnt matter which port on the radiator you use for the inlet outlet. I ran my Fox body with LS2 and a Griffin Mustang radiator for years with them hooked up "backwards", IE the outlet went to the bottom left and the inlet went to the top right, just the opposite of a stock Fox Mustang. I currently run a Griffin swap radiator which is a dual pass and I ran the engine outlet to the bottom of the radiator and engine inlet comes from the to half of the radiator. IE it fills the bottom half of the radiator first then goes across the top half to the inlet, I know it seems backwards but it works and I have never had any cooling problems with eithe setup. I know they say not to run the pressure side to the tank with the radiator cap but like I said I never had an issue.

Last edited by 79LS1FOX; 11-30-2016 at 04:49 PM. Reason: add some text
Old 12-02-2016, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

If it were mine I would run a crossover tube at the bottom so the lower radiator connection is connected to the inlet of the waterpump. This ensures the inlet to the pump is always flooded, so it will prime and pump coolant even if the system is low on coolant.

If you connect the upper radiator connection to the inlet of your water pump there is a risk that if your radiator gets low on coolant, the pump will be sucking air and will not prime.

Quick Reply: Radiator inlet/ outlet