Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Donor Trk Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Donor Trk Swap?

If I have complete LS 4.8, Harness, PCM, and 4160E Trans, everything came off 2004 Silverado, if I get the Vats erased will everything else work if I just install it on another vehicle, or am I missing something that I should still do or not do? If I got a guage cluster would that even make it easier or not, any advise would be great, thx again Dana

Last edited by Chevymanty; 12-02-2016 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Want to add
Old 12-02-2016, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Everything else should work though you may have some emissions controls codes, depending on what's hooked up or left off. Most tuners remove VATS, rear 02 sensors and tell the computer not to run the diagnostics for emissions systems.
The gauge cluster can be safely left in the '04. You might be able to use it but most folks adapt the gauges in their swap vehicle to the LS or run aftermarket gauges in a new surround. I really don't recall if the ECM drives gauges directly or through CAN or what... I just went to Speedway Motors and got a 5 gauge set + bezel.
My advise: throw away or sell no part of that '04 until your project car is done & you know you don't need anything else. You'd be shocked how many bits of wire, plumbing, odds & ends parts etc you can pick off the donor and save time and money with.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:40 AM
Staging Lane

Yossarian 19, thx, I would rather use my gauges (new) but they were for my 350 Chevy, do u have any info to hook up my Guages or just pretend I haven't changed anything,and thx again Dana
Old 12-03-2016, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Just use the senders that came with your gauges in your new motor, there's a plug in the back of pass side head for coolant, and many ways to do the oil sender, allot of people ditch the factory sender at the rear of the block and adapt to the aftermarket gauges sender, typically 1/8"npt, this is also the case for the water temp sender, ls stuff is a much larger metric size so you will need adapters.
The tach will require a wire out of the pcm that may need signal to be "boosted" let me know if you want some details on that, figured out a pretty simple way to hook up.

This is what I'm gonna switch to so I can still see the oil press being read by pcm, and still have my aftermarket gauge read from same source

This how it currently is, I'll be swapping out the silver peice for the one in the pic above.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

Looks sweet, all info is great, Iam getting close to finishing my ifs on my Stude pickup, then I will go full boar on motor, I will be sending my Computor in for deleting soon, thx again, Dana
Old 12-03-2016, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

What ifs are you putting on your truck?
Old 12-03-2016, 11:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Slocaddy, I think you may be using a newer engine that the PCM may actually reas oil pressure, but on an '04 it doesn't, so the OP can just ditch the factory sender and put the aftermarket one in its place with either a store bought adapter, or just break off the plastic part of the stock sender and drill and tap the aluminum base, that's what I do, since its basically free if you have a drill and the tap.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey nova, I actually did mod the factory sender base for my aftermarket sender, but it didn't put it high enough not interfere with one of lifter valley bolts, other wise works great!
Anywho I'm actually using a 04 can pcm, and while I know the factory sender is not required for engine function(as it runs just fine without it) I though it would read "actual oil pressure" when a scanner is hooked up??

I guess what asking is should I even bother hooking it back up?

Quick Reply: Question about Donor Trk Swap?