Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HP Tuner

I know a bit about Engines, electronics and computers but I have never did any ECM based tuning! I think I have a pretty good basic understanding of what and how the system and sensors work. I’m now installing a LS-3 376/525 crate in my old cobra kit car and I want to be able to tune or at least monitor it’s tune! I understand the basic tune is pretty good but by it’s nature it has to be a bit generic since all installs will be a bit different depending on intake track and exhaust choices!

I’m looking at HP Tuner and wondering Standard or Pro? Opinions?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2016, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

the pro has inputs for additional sensors(wideband, boost pressure etc..) as well as the ability to log data without having a laptop in the car.

to me it's worth the extra coin for that feature alone.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Buy the pro and a uego wideband, connect the wideband to the interface and go to town. If you don't buy the pro and decide later that you want it, you can still get it for about 300$ more. You cannot read or ask enough questions because it is a convoluted(sp) system at best. I put off for two years digging into it and started watching more videos and reading. When you buy it, you can join the HPT forums, get others tunes from the repository and there are many folks who don't mind answering questions as long as they are spelled correctly and not too vague. Good luck. It is a great feeling to be able to make positive changes to your setup without paying through the nose.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys, the pro is what I was thinking. I already have a Auto Meter GT Series Wideband O2 Gauge. I think it has 0-5 volt output but will need to check! I'm going the Pro!

Al
Old 12-04-2016, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by LS525cobra
Thanks guys, the pro is what I was thinking. I already have a Auto Meter GT Series Wideband O2 Gauge. I think it has 0-5 volt output but will need to check! I'm going the Pro!

Al
If you haven't bought a wideband already, try and find one that uses the newer bosch 4.9 sensor. it's more accurate at values richer and leaner than stoich for gasoline. the sensor lasts longer as well.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I would go with the pro whether you plan to use it now or not. I went the standard route because I figured I'd only do part throttle tuning and let the pros do WOT and about a year later I paid to upgrade. As for wideband, I use the LC-2 (4.9 sensor) because I only plug it to my interface without a gauge. You can change the report speed and customize the outputs for fuel type.

Quick Reply: HP Tuner