Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

55 Chevy, 6.0, Turbo, Holley

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Love your hot and cold side plumbing! So cool to see different cars/different layouts, can't wait to hear how it all works together

P.s., tools will be copied.......thanks!
Old 12-28-2016, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't take credit for the muffler clamp/vice grip tool, I saw it somewhere else and copied it. Seems like I saw it on here but I really don't remember.

Got this 5" tight radius elbow from intakehoses.com, fits great.

Here is the air filter, got it off of ebay

I always thought the 55 was a big car but after working on this for a while now there's really limited space front to back under the hood. Luckily that big bulbous hood has lots of room to go up
Old 12-28-2016, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

Here's some shots of the hand controls. The company that makes them doesn't like to sell parts to individuals. I guarantee I can install them better than most of the people that work at those places but they still won't sell me parts. THEY want to do the install and overcharge you.

I've collected a few different units over the years so I managed to piece together to right brackets to get it installed.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Got the exhaust buttoned yesterday. It actually turned out pretty good.

The car is going to get a cage before too long so this may have to be moved around a bit. It has two dynomax bullet mufflers, I didn't want to do just a straight dump and be obnoxiously loud.

It turns out right in front of the passenger rear tire.

This is caught up to my current status now. I have some more wiring that needs to be done but I'm getting close to the first start up.

My goal is to crank it before New Years and time is running out.

Last edited by squarles67; 05-16-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

Got a lot done over the holidays. Put some override switches in the trunk. These are for the intercooler pump, the water/methanol pump, and the two fuel pumps. All these are controlled by the Dominator and these are just overrides to activate the relays on each. That makes testing easier for example it makes it a snap to set the static fuel pressure.

Also got the tank and pump mounted for the meth injection.

Ran out of Argon before I could finish the brackets though....uggg

Last edited by squarles67; 01-09-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

I also got a bunch of my wiring and electrical loose ends finished up.

I was able to make my New Years startup deadline but just barely. This is my first fuel injection build and first time tuning with the laptop. Once I got the learn feature figured out I was able to keep it running long enough for the fuel table to correct itself so the car would idle.

I still have a few more things to finish up before I can start driving it so the rest of the table can be corrected.

It's really cool the way it works but I have to admit I was a little overwhelmed at first.

It starts at the first turn of the key and idles just fine. The fuel table is still a bit lean so it doesn't rev clean. My wheels and tires should be here by tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to drive it this weekend if the weather is ok.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I approve of the exhaust
Old 01-06-2017, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slocaddy
I approve of the exhaust
I "ovaled" mine the same way you did, in the press

That Caddy is cool for sure
Old 01-06-2017, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another SETX resident here...I'm in Beaumont! It looks like you've just about got this 55 licked; but if you need some help i'd be happy to (just shoot me a PM). Very cool car you've got there...
Old 01-06-2017, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by crockerdave
Another SETX resident here...I'm in Beaumont! It looks like you've just about got this 55 licked; but if you need some help i'd be happy to (just shoot me a PM). Very cool car you've got there...
Thanks, I just might do that
Old 01-09-2017, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Not to Hi-Jack your thread, but I made my own version of your valve spring compressor. I've been wanting one, just didn't have the money to buy one, and couldn't think of a good way to build one.

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails 55 Chevy, 6.0, Turbo, Holley-0106170718.jpg  
Old 01-09-2017, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
Not to Hi-Jack your thread, but I made my own version of your valve spring compressor. I've been wanting one, just didn't have the money to buy one, and couldn't think of a good way to build one.

Thanks again.
You're welcome

I've gotten so many good ideas from here I'm glad to be able to contribute
Old 01-09-2017, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome build on that 55. Lots of great ideas you have. I also have a 55 but im converting it into a 2dr. Im selling it it. Too many cars to take care of. Keep up the great work and she is going to be real fast
Old 01-09-2017, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

My wheels and tires came in. Now I know why people used to cut the rear wheel wells on these cars, I had to take the driveshaft out to get the rear end low enough to get them on.

I don't have the front seat back in it yet but I drove it down the road yesterday anyway....lol....couldn't stand waiting anymore. My wife was kinda pissed but she'll get over it.

First time it's been out of the shop in a couple of years. It's too cold to wash it though. I'll be glad when I can get all that old masking tape the previous owner left on there off

Old 01-16-2017, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

25 last Saturday and almost 80 this past Saturday, gotta love Southeast Texas weather. I was able to get it cleaned up. That damned old masking tape the PO left on there was a royal PITA to get off of there.

Looks a whole lot better with it off though.

I was able to drive it on Saturday. Still working on the tune but getting there. I did find out I have to get the clamps a bit tighter on the cold side....lol. After a good tightening on all of them it didn't happen anymore. Scared the crap out of me when it did it the first time.

Another thing I found out is that modern computerized alignment machines don't work on a 55 Chevy because of the low fender well in the back. They can't put the alignment jigs on the back wheels so I have to find a place with an old school machine (and tech for that matter) to get it aligned.

It actually drives really good and doesn't pull so it's not far off but I want to get someone to check it.

Last edited by squarles67; 01-16-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Nice build love tri 5 chevys
Old 01-16-2017, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by squarles67
25 last Saturday and almost 80 this past Saturday, gotta love Southeast Texas weather. I was able to get it cleaned up. That damned old masking tape the PO left on there was a royal PITA to get off of there.

I was able to drive it on Saturday. Still working on the tune but getting there. I did find out I have to get the clamps a bit tighter on the cold side....lol. After a good tightening on all of them it didn't happen anymore. Scared the crap out of me when it did it the first time.

Another thing I found out is that modern computerized alignment machines don't work on a 55 Chevy because of the low fender well in the back. They can't put the alignment jigs on the back wheels so I have to find a place with an old school machine (and tech for that matter) to get it aligned.

It actually drives really good and doesn't pull so it's not far off but I want to get someone to check it.
Lol!! Pipe blowing off happens to me too! Thought I grenaded the motor....
Old 01-17-2017, 06:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats on getting it moving under it's own power. That is always a happy feeling.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Congrats on getting it moving under it's own power. That is always a happy feeling.
Yes it is!
Old 02-21-2017, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by squarles67

First of all... AWESOME BUILD!!! You do great work, man!
As far as the alignment, if you find the right place, they won't even need a machine. You can measure camber, caster and toe right there on the ground with home-made turntables. I did my last 4 alignments on a concrete floor. 2 on my 2010 Tundra, one on a 2003 envoy, and of course, my 57.
Where would you say your engine placement is compared to the engine you removed? Is the bell housing flange forward by quite a bit from where it was? I'm considering doing some work to my cross-member to give the oil pan more clearance if I end up where yours is. Thanks for the wonderful pics!

Quick Reply: 55 Chevy, 6.0, Turbo, Holley