Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for CX Racing LS1 oil pan dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for CX Racing LS1 oil pan dimensions

As the title says, I'm looking for CX Racing LS1 oil pan dimensions. They're site doesn't list them and their tech line doesn't know or give them out. I've done some searching here and came up with nothing. If someone knows of a specific post, please point me in the right direction. Someone has to know. Thanks.

Last edited by gboy; 01-20-2017 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Cuz I sux at grammar.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:13 PM
FormerVendor

While not the CX Racing pan, we offer a wide variety of pans for custom applications. Hopefully one of these can work for what you are trying to do.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:16 AM
Teching In

Thanks Aaron. I'm looking for a rear sump pan that's 4" deep x 9" long (sump width isn't an issue) and the area in front of the sump about 1.5". Have a strong feeling I'm going to be butchering a sheetmetal pan to get want I need. This for street application stock stroke ls1.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You haven't even told us which kind of car this is going in. Something tells me a 240...
Old 01-22-2017, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Naw, Jag XJ6. Car was a sbc swap when I bought it and now doin' a turbo ls1. The ls1 sits low and back in the engine bay and having trouble finding off the shelf pan. Might have to raise the engine up a lil' to help things out. Here's it with the hot side being finished up. Sorry about the pic size.

Last edited by gboy; 01-22-2017 at 10:34 AM. Reason: cuz
Old 01-22-2017, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

Have you checked out Mast Motorsports pan? In my swap, I wanted the pan that would let me place the engine as low as possible over my steering rack with sump at the back and a sump that wasn't terribly long (crossmember interference)....
Old 01-22-2017, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Holley 302-2 pan
Old 01-23-2017, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The CX oil pans are car-specific. They are designed to hold as much oil as possible while fitting around the subframe, exhaust, steering, etc of a specific chassis. Since CX doesn't make an oil pan for any Jag chassis, what exactly do you expect to happen?
Old 01-23-2017, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You'd probably be best to check out jagsthatrun.com
Old 01-23-2017, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

They don't have anything except a decades old manual that shows how you might put an old small block into an XJS or XJ sedan, nothing LS related for Jag. OP will have to do what a lot of us do - mock up, measure and fab.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:54 AM
Teching In

I checked out the Mast pan That pan seems to be close, but the area forward of the sump isn't shallow enough and the sump is still too deep. The cost of it, plus the cost of having it modified would be getting into custom fab'd prices. Trying to stay away that.

Holley 302-2 pan is close but still not shallow enough.

As far as the CX Racing pans are concerned, are they vehicle specific or are they specific to their swap kits? Seems like every picture of a rear sump LS1 pan on their web site is the same(Chevelle pan has notches for steering linkage). Their pans seem to be designed for limited clearance(chassis and ground) applications and those happen to be the same challenges I'm facing with my project. Since I have not dealt with one of their pans in the wild, I'm asking the forum if someone has and if they would be charitable enough to pass on any information they happen to have. Ideally CX Racing would have the information available. If they have a pan that fits my needs, I would in return buy a oil pan from them that while not specific to my application would still work. That's what I would expect to happen. When dealing with the challenges involved with swaps/hybrids, it seems to me that one is only limited by one's own shortsightedness(within reason). The whole concept of doing one is to mix/match/create the parts needed to obtain one's goal.

Michael's right, Jags That Run is pretty much dry for this application. Not being negative about them, just nothing specific to this swap.IRC, the website states that their product will not work for ls1 swaps. Jaguar Specialties does offer a kit(motor/tranny mounts, instructions and fair amount of diy), but you will need to have your pan cut/welded for similar clearance issues.

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'll be butchering a pan to fit and maybe adding a some plate to the cross member (like a skid plate) to protect the sump.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Be sure to post up some pics with whatever you come up with....bound to help others that run into similar dimensional challenges.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Finally came up with a solution for my oil pans woes. Wound up getting a FleaBay steel oil pan and help fab'ng a new sump.
FleaBay Pan

I cut the old sump off with plans of trimming down and moving the sump back on the pan base. Instead we just fab'd a new sump out of 16 gauge sheet. Notched it for the remote filter adapter and rounded a corner to clear the r&p.

Dimensions are roughly 13"wide x 8"long x 5" deep measuring from the pan rail. Capacity is roughly 6qts. Not pretty, but is was cheap. Wound up having to make some spacers out 1/4" aluminum plate for the engine mount bases to get more clearance for the crossmember. The engine is going to be Accusump'd too. I'll post pics of the pan installed, in case anybody cares.

I know this a "day late and dollar short", but does anyone know how much oil is in the pan of an LS w/factory oil pump while running?

Also looking for ideas/suggestions on baffles for the sump.

Last edited by gboy; 10-07-2017 at 12:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking for CX Racing LS1 oil pan dimensions