Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

411 blue/red ECU

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 878 Posts

Default 411 blue/red ECU

I am helping a buddy with a swap and I have a questions regarding the oil pressure sender.

Does the blue/red ECU have inputs from the oil pressure sender? Is this information transmitted over the OBDII port?

Andrew
Old 01-22-2017, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, it is not needed nor is it over the obd2 port.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

what tuning software? you can use the stock oil psi sensor with HPT. there's a PID already in the drop downs for regular inputs/outputs.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by truckdoug
what tuning software? you can use the stock oil psi sensor with HPT. there's a PID already in the drop downs for regular inputs/outputs.
We don't have any tuning software. He got this harness from Street and Performance and they are now out of business. It's a pretty good harness actually, but I wanted to make sure it works before doing the final installation.

The reason that I was asking is because we are also integrating Dakota Digital VHX gauges. He got the optional OBD interface for them, so I wanted to know if oil pressure was passed along. Zipster said it was not transmitted to the OBD port and if that is the case, I see very little incentive to use the OBDII module.

Andrew
Old 01-22-2017, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Word, I was just lettign you know you can log oil pressure through the PCM and serial data if you desire.

I personally don't, but I do log fuel pressure and turbine drive pressure. The stock oil psi sensor is pretty useful if a little bulky. very good quality 0-100psi .5-4.5v linear sensor for virtually free.

Anyways sounds like you have it sussed.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm logging oil pressure through HP Tuners on my blue / Red PCM through the OBD2 port. Your scanner simply needs to know what to look for.
There is a switch that may need to be enabled with the calibration, but it works without a hitch.

1999 to 2004 Corvettes have the wiring and switch enabled. I'm using a 2002 Camaro OS in this instance and it has been working perfectly all last summer.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

the Dakota digital gauges should show all your sensor outputs using the obd2 port connection. That mainly y they make it plug and play like that.

But later in the future if u try and tune that vehicle u will need to unplug your gauges to be able to connect with hptuners. Something about hptuners want work ontop of the digital Dakota with both pluged into the obs2. just a FYI.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think I decided that not using the OBD port would make life easier. There are just too many other things that don't go over the OBD connection that I have to hook up. Might as well just make all the connections. The harness that he has already has everything (VSS and tach out, etc...).

Andrew
Old 01-23-2017, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As mentioned above the Dakota Digital on a Gen 3 engine will show most data except oil pressure. You have to install their sending unit. On an E38 or any Gen IV or V engine all the data including oil pressure can be grabbed with their CANBUS BIM module. I believe you can also extract gear position. But it sounds like you are going the hardwire mode, no issue with doing that.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Andrew, I looked into that as well for my Nova. As stated it gets complicated. The one thing that kept me from doing it was that you have to toggle through each display in the DIC on the gauge panel while driving to see what you want. You can't see it at a glance like you can on the gauges on the dash.....

T,
Old 01-23-2017, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TomM
Andrew, I looked into that as well for my Nova. As stated it gets complicated. The one thing that kept me from doing it was that you have to toggle through each display in the DIC on the gauge panel while driving to see what you want. You can't see it at a glance like you can on the gauges on the dash.....

T,
Tom,

Are you saying that it would just be easier and work better if I didn't mess with the OBDII module?

Andrew
Old 01-23-2017, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

It was for me.....I think it's just too much to mess with for little return. Never did purchase one but after reading about it, didn't really see the value added. DD makes some great stuff and they give you all the senders etc to hook up the really important functions....last thing I wanted was another "module" to install and/or possibly fail at some point....

On the GMPP connect and cruise packages I have installed, I never used the factory sender. Just unplugged it and tied it back in the harness. DD gives you the metric adapter to screw into the port and install their sender....easy, simple and done....

T,
Old 01-23-2017, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TomM
It was for me.....I think it's just too much to mess with for little return. Never did purchase one but after reading about it, didn't really see the value added. DD makes some great stuff and they give you all the senders etc to hook up the really important functions....last thing I wanted was another "module" to install and/or possibly fail at some point....

On the GMPP connect and cruise packages I have installed, I never used the factory sender. Just unplugged it and tied it back in the harness. DD gives you the metric adapter to screw into the port and install their sender....easy, simple and done....

T,
Thanks Tom.

I will definitely go with the basic DD install and not bother with the OBDII module.

Andrew

Quick Reply: 411 blue/red ECU