Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS swap into 68 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS swap into 68 Camaro

I'm considering a swap into my car, I like the idea of a "turnkey" setup. I'm more interested in the 300 to 400 hp range and intend for my car to be a cruiser and take on trips. There is a turnkey option offered by Gas Huffer I wondered if anyone was familiar with this setup and had some feedback. The link below is for one of their products

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-3L-LS-Turn...oAAOSwyjBW5B-P
Old 01-24-2017, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

I've never heard of them, but that seems like an awful lot of money for a system that is not exactly turnkey and you will pay extra for all the other things not included like the correct oil pan, trans crossmember, headers, efi tank, proper accessory drive, ect.

I've seen complete 5.3 installs for that price (labor included).

I would find a good low mileage complete motor/trans pullout and order the holley swap kit.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input. I have and am still looking at salvage yard routes as well
Old 01-27-2017, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

I agree, that is a lot of money for a 5.3.

I am in the process of swapping in a 5.3 and t56 into my car. I found a used 5.3 for $500 which came with wiring and ecu and the transmission for $1500. Still need headers, oil pan, and etc. Do your homework before you order the mounts. It really depends on what you want and what you are willing to modify for the retro-fit. In my opinion, I think that Holley has the best kit out there as their kit is the only one where they actually built a new pan to incorporate the best driveline angle with no modifications to the body.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:30 PM
Teching In

For that price you can get a crate LS3. I did an LS swap in my 68 C10 truck and I'm doing one in my 67 Camaro as well, if I had to do it over again I could have saved money in my Camaro swap buy just buying a crate LS3 motor and not going the junkyard swap/rebuild method and I would have had a warranty. For my C10 truck it was a budget build with a $600 4.8 liter from craigslist but in the end I still had probably almost $4k into the motor/transmission.

You might want to check out some of the LS swaps on the camaros.net forums and get some reccomendation from their, if you haven't already.

Quick Reply: LS swap into 68 Camaro