Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Vapor Vent to Engine (No EVAP Sensor) 5.3 LS in '86 K5 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Vapor Vent to Engine (No EVAP Sensor) 5.3 LS in '86 K5 Blazer

I have a 2003 5.3 LS engine in a 1986 Chevy K5 Blazer. My wiring harness no longer has wiring or the plug to make the EVAP solenoid work. So, my question is "how do I route the fuel canister vapor to the engine?" I can't stand the fuel vapor smells on hot days, so I have to come up with way to burn the vapors off in the engine. I've considered the following options, but I'm open to suggestions.

1.) I had considered maybe using a "t" fitting on the PCV vent line and pull vacuum on both the crankcase and vapor canister, but I suspect I'd just create a small vacuum leak since air could be pulling in from the gas cap all the way through the vent line.
2.) I considered venting the fuel vapor to the air intake filter assembly, but I'm concerned fuel vapor might adversely affect the MAF sensor readings.

I would sure appreciate any suggestions or comments on this.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PWagon
I have a 2003 5.3 LS engine in a 1986 Chevy K5 Blazer. My wiring harness no longer has wiring or the plug to make the EVAP solenoid work. So, my question is "how do I route the fuel canister vapor to the engine?" I can't stand the fuel vapor smells on hot days, so I have to come up with way to burn the vapors off in the engine. I've considered the following options, but I'm open to suggestions.

1.) I had considered maybe using a "t" fitting on the PCV vent line and pull vacuum on both the crankcase and vapor canister, but I suspect I'd just create a small vacuum leak since air could be pulling in from the gas cap all the way through the vent line.
2.) I considered venting the fuel vapor to the air intake filter assembly, but I'm concerned fuel vapor might adversely affect the MAF sensor readings.

I would sure appreciate any suggestions or comments on this.
On my 78 K5 I just added a vent line from the tank sending unit to and ran it up near the filler neck. I really haven't the fuel smell.

Quick Reply: Fuel Vapor Vent to Engine (No EVAP Sensor) 5.3 LS in '86 K5 Blazer