Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

~ Projekt 57 Chevy Rocket Ship ~

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ~ Projekt 57 Chevy Rocket Ship ~

I suppose it's time to start a build thread. My garage hasn't seen this much of me in a really long time.
I decided to bring my old beater sedan into the next millennium with a fuel injected & supercharged aluminum 5.3L LS.

The car:
1957 Chevrolet 4dr Sedan.

The current engine:
1971 Vette 350 punched to 355 with flat top TRWs, angle plug "bow tie" heads with 2.08/1.65 valves, Comp Cams conical valve springs, aluminum retainers, roller rockers, Isky 280 Mega Cam, MSD distributor, Mallory spark box, Edelbrock RPM intake with 750cfm Edelbrock carb. Power runs through a '94 Mustang T5WC 5 speed transmission via the 1970 Chevelle 12" clutch.

Attached Thumbnails ~ Projekt 57 Chevy Rocket Ship ~-coca-cola.jpg   ~ Projekt 57 Chevy Rocket Ship ~-funkytown.jpg   ~ Projekt 57 Chevy Rocket Ship ~-img_20160709_100038346.jpg  
Old 03-15-2017, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

I've got the engine apart and parts have been rolling in so I have some pics to share. I'm using factory parts for much of the build. It's a 2008 LC9 5.3 aluminum block.
I'm only doing minor port cleanup on the 317 heads, but I did have the machine shop mill them .010". I've chosen to use the factory GM LS9 supercharger cam paired with Comp Cams valve springs and GM rockers with a Harland Sharp trunnion upgrade. (bought here)
The block is currently at Mann Speed Specialty getting cleaned up and machine honed. I'm having them press my new cam bearings in while they have it. I'm gonna use Speedmaster head studs because I just can't swallow the near $300 price tag on the ARP stuff. I'm sure ARP is worth $300/set but I'm not exactly made of money. First thing I did when they arrived was inspect the nuts and they all look good. Yee Haw!

Last edited by socal57chevy; 03-15-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Drilled and tapped my valley cover for a manual gauge in addition to the factory 08 sending unit for the ECU. I cleaned and painted some parts, too. I've accumulated enough pieces from other engines to do the DOD and VVT delete with the LS9 3-bolt cam.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Purdy Parts!
I'll prolly cut off the 3-bold flanges and install V-band flanges on the headers before I install them. I HATE exhaust leaks. Hate, hate, hate them! It's why I have the 2.5" Ram Horn manifolds on the current motor. I'm considering using studs on the exhaust flanges at the head. Still up in the air, but I have a bunch of them from my 2.2/2.5L Chrysler days, so I may end up using them on this thing.

Last edited by socal57chevy; 03-15-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

Small steps...
I got head number two done and reassembled, then bagged it up until time to bolt it on.
I worked on the purge solenoid delete and made a hold down bracket for my MAP sensor. I also did some light porting, smoothing, polishing of the throttle body and bolted it to the intake.

Last edited by socal57chevy; 03-21-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

i love it!! i still have my first car! 57 chevy 4dr sedan...great old cars...mine is a time warp car..still has 8-track lol..kool build! i will be watching!!
Old 03-21-2017, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Great build thread. As you can see I already have a 5.3 LS in my '57 Pontiac Star Chief, and it works real well. You won't regret the conversion.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool build. Love the car
Old 03-21-2017, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Cool, good to finally see a build thread on this baby.

I'm using budget ebay head studs on one of my engines and factory bolts on the rest. No offense to ARP, but I feel their LSx products are a waste of money for anything less than an all out race engine.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by learning91
i love it!! i still have my first car! 57 chevy 4dr sedan...great old cars...mine is a time warp car..still has 8-track lol..kool build! i will be watching!!
I've had this car since I was 18. Traded a half dozen cars to my old man for it. My mom's brother built it out of junk yard parts back in the 70s. The junk yard was owned my dad's uncle so the old car has some sentimental value to me. I still have all my 8-tracks someplace. Nothing more cool than hearing the quadraphonic head unit change gears right in the middle of Carouselambra. Hahaha!
Originally Posted by KiwiStarChief
Great build thread. As you can see I already have a 5.3 LS in my '57 Pontiac Star Chief, and it works real well. You won't regret the conversion.
Oh yeah, I've seen that car/avatar floating around in the posts around here. Fine looking Poncho ya got there.
Originally Posted by wph351
Cool build. Love the car
Thanks man! Can't wait to start putting things together. Seems like dismantling and cleaning is all I've been doing lately.
Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Cool, good to finally see a build thread on this baby.

I'm using budget ebay head studs on one of my engines and factory bolts on the rest. No offense to ARP, but I feel their LSx products are a waste of money for anything less than an all out race engine.
I had it up at the flea market on Saturday, but it was dead up there when I pulled through. I heard there was a gathering down in Lees Summit.
I talked to a few guys running the ebay studs and they're really happy with them...even after moving them from engine to engine. I am gonna spend the money ad do ARP bolts on the rods.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Ahhh, the good old Funky Town! Its looking a bit run down these days, but the '57 looks nice! Can't wait for summer to get here so the cruises start back up and I can check it out in person. But then again, I dont want it to come too soon because I have to have my car done before then and I have a lot of stuff to do.......
Old 03-23-2017, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Ahhh, the good old Funky Town! Its looking a bit run down these days, but the '57 looks nice! Can't wait for summer to get here so the cruises start back up and I can check it out in person. But then again, I dont want it to come too soon because I have to have my car done before then and I have a lot of stuff to do.......
I honestly thought the building was abandoned, then I drove by one friday night and the place was packed to the gills. hahaha
My old 57 is full of rust and bondo, but looks decent at a distance. I'm afraid the paint is what's holding it together. I rattle canned that blue about 10 years ago to see If I'd like the color.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck and have fun!
Old 03-24-2017, 04:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by socal57chevy
I had it up at the flea market on Saturday, but it was dead up there when I pulled through. I heard there was a gathering down in Lees Summit.
I talked to a few guys running the ebay studs and they're really happy with them...even after moving them from engine to engine. I am gonna spend the money ad do ARP bolts on the rods.

Well crap, we missed each other!!!

I was there in my Camaro, but left early to continue working on my Impala. There were 10 or maybe 15 cars at the high point and a few of my friends started to leave. I knew I should have called you.

You may want to check around on the ARP rod bolts thing if you are doing stock rods. Years ago I thought I read they were not a straight drop in and something needed to be modified. I have personally never used their rod bolts on one of these engines so I can't say.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think you need to put new rod bolts in, those are Gen4 rods and should be good to go as long as you don't spin it to 7K
Old 03-24-2017, 09:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

I honestly thought the building was abandoned, then I drove by one friday night and the place was packed to the gills. hahaha
My old 57 is full of rust and bondo, but looks decent at a distance. I'm afraid the paint is what's holding it together. I rattle canned that blue about 10 years ago to see If I'd like the color.
That blue paint is from spray cans? It doesn't look bad in the pics, and usually I can spot a spray can job a mile away.

And Funky Town is open? I totally thought they closed years ago, probably from the looks of the place.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by squarles67
Good luck and have fun!
I'm having a load of fun so far! Working on fuel rails/pump/lines and tank. I ordered a new 19gal Ford F-150 gas tank. I'll probably install a walbro equipped fuel pump assy with a Corvette filter/regulator and ebay returnless fuel rails.
Originally Posted by squarles67
I don't think you need to put new rod bolts in, those are Gen4 rods and should be good to go as long as you don't spin it to 7K
Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Well crap, we missed each other!!!

I was there in my Camaro, but left early to continue working on my Impala. There were 10 or maybe 15 cars at the high point and a few of my friends started to leave. I knew I should have called you.

You may want to check around on the ARP rod bolts thing if you are doing stock rods. Years ago I thought I read they were not a straight drop in and something needed to be modified. I have personally never used their rod bolts on one of these engines so I can't say.
Well I done did buy the ARP bolts so I guess I'll use them. lol
I'm gonna try to put together a Tundra meet on Apr. 8 over at Chux Trux. We'll head to the flea market when that winds down.
Originally Posted by ls1nova71
That blue paint is from spray cans? It doesn't look bad in the pics, and usually I can spot a spray can job a mile away.

And Funky Town is open? I totally thought they closed years ago, probably from the looks of the place.
Yup. I did in in the garage of my townhouse back in Ohio, then some in the garage at the house in SoCal. It's high metallic and every stoke wanted to lay the flake in a different direction. It was really hard to get it to look decent. I think there's about $47 in spray paint on the car. I was gonna use a roller if I ever decided to buy automotive paint and do it "right".

I was amazed at how many cars were crammed into that CrazyTown parking lot.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

Can't see in your pictures......But......If you have the stock steering in your car those headers won't work...........Just say'in ........
Old 03-27-2017, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kwhizz
Can't see in your pictures......But......If you have the stock steering in your car those headers won't work...........Just say'in ........
I was worried about that. I have a pair of truck manifolds as backups, too.
I also have a modified 605 steering box that I was thinking about installing while the motor was out. I've had it for a few years but can't seem to bring myself to sawzall my steering shaft. lol
I was really hoping the block huggers would work. Thanks, man. Been watching your 57 build, too. Very nice ride.

Shiny new Ford F-150 gas tank. $57 bucks on ebay.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

I also have a modified 605 steering box that I was thinking about installing while the motor was out. I've had it for a few years but can't seem to bring myself to sawzall my steering shaft. lol

Are you scared of permanent modifications? Wait until you buy something, take it out of the box, measure it and start cutting on it within the hour. Hahaha!

I'm curious how the fbomb tank will work for you. It's been a long time since I was under one of those cars.

Quick Reply: ~ Projekt 57 Chevy Rocket Ship ~