Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1978 trans am carb ls2 alternator wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 06:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 trans am carb ls2 alternator wiring question

I have been reading and searching for days now and I can't figure out how to wire up my new powermaster 230 ad alternator into my original wiring harness. i bought the holley pigtail for that alternator to connect to the brown wire (i-field). see attached picture. I know to connect one red wire from the battery to the lug on my new alt. My question is where do I connect the red wire (sensing) on my new alternator? Also, what do I do with the third red wire that is with the a/c line conn in the picture. Those two red wire (sensing and the bottom one) connects together in a 4 wire splice with 2 wires going to to 2 different spots on the bulkhead connector. if that is too confusing, let me know.

So what I have done so far is cut away that 4 way splice. So i have 2 wires coming from my harness going to FZ and CY on the bulkhead connector. I do not know where to connect them to my new alternator.

Thank in advance for any advise.
Jesse
Attached Thumbnails 1978 trans am carb ls2 alternator wiring question-20170529_164358.jpg  
Old 05-30-2017, 08:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

According to that diagram both of those should go to the battery as well.

That's the way most of the GM stuff of that era got power inside the car to the fuse box, either from the alternator or the starter.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks i will try that!

Quick Reply: 1978 trans am carb ls2 alternator wiring question