Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plans For Datsun 210 Hybrid

Old 10-04-2004, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post Plans For Datsun 210 Hybrid

Engine
My intent is to install a LS1 V8 out of a Z06 Corvette that is rated at 405 horsepower stock with the T56 also swapped in. I am wanting to get a C5R block so I can bore and stroke it to a 454 cubic inch mouse. I have been thinking of some sort of forced induction but I am not sure I want to deal with the added weight that turbos or a supercharger would add to the front end wait. I am thinking that adding a twin turbo set up to it would add at least 100 pounds. Once you get the intercooler and all associated plumbing into the car. I am not sure that the 210 could really handle all that extra wait added onto the front of the car. As is I will be adding about 570 pounds on the front of the car from the engine alone so the twin turbos or supercharger my make the weight balance really bad. I want to get the weight balance as close to a 50% front/rear split. Now for the size of the LS1.
I need to find the external dimensions of the LS1 with out any accessories mounted to the engine.

Transmission

The T56 is a 6 speed manual transmission that gives me good acceleration in gears 1-4 and good cruise rpm’s in gears 5 and 6. The size specs for the T56 is

Front Suspension

I am going to redo the front suspension. My intent with redoing the front suspension is to get rid of the strut type front suspension fro an un-equal length a-arm design. From what research I have done the un-equal length a-arm front suspension will give me a better handling car while also take some unsprung and sprung weight off the front end. I want to use the C5 Corvette front a-arms because they are made out of aluminum instead of stamped steel like most factory control arms are. I could custom build my own front a-arms out of chromoly steel tubing. But that way I could use any type and size of disk brake that I want to. I am wanting to go with around 14 inch rotors. I have been tossing around the idea of titanium rotors instead of the normal cast iron or steel.

Rear Suspension

My next obstacle will be trying to find a rear suspension design that can handle the power that the LS1 will put out and be able to get traction on the 220. One of the ideas is an Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) design. But I am thinking I will be able to apply more power to the ground with a solid axle design than I even could with the IRS. But with the IRS I could mount the disk brakes near the center section instead of near the wheels. Which would also lighten my unsprung weight. Which would give allow the tires to stay in better contact with the road than if I mounted the brakes to the end of the axles inside the wheels. I figure that if I mount the brakes near the center section I will be able to get the best braking possible from the car and yet still be able to switch to a 15 or 16 inch wheel when I want to run on the dragstrip. The only thing that seems to be holding up this decision is whether or not I will be able to apply the power effectively to the ground instead of waisting it in tire smoke when I am trying to get off the line as fast as possible.

Wheels

I am wanting to run a set of 18x12 wheels with some 335/ZR30-18 tires. I am not sure on what type of wheels I want to go with. I have been throwing around the idea of going with a 5 spoke design kind of like the old Cragars. But it would have to be a bit more contemporary design to go with the theme of the car.
Body

I am going to have to flare the body so I can fit the wheels underneath the car. I am going to use steel for the rear quarter panels. But for the front fenders I have choices that range from steel to carbon fiber. The carbon fiber would give me some more weight saving to off set the engine. I could also go with a carbon fiber hood that would decrease the weight as well even further.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:09 PM
12 Second Club

How much damn money do you have?
Old 10-05-2004, 02:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HotRod68Camaro
How much damn money do you have?

NO ****!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

a lot of it will bedoing over a couple years but I want to get the engine and trans in first. I am lucky though because I have a few friends that do a lot of fabricating so I can use their help on most of it.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Good luck! Sounds like it will be a pretty crazy car!!
Old 10-08-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, sounds like it's gonna be sick. Where are you gonna get your 18x12 wheels from? I can't even find any.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Plans For Datsun 210 Hybrid