Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in a TVR Chimera

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 in a TVR Chimera

MOVED FROM EXTERNAL ENGINE AREA - just getting the hang of this forum!

Hi - this is my first post on LS1Tech.

I have been reading many articles on the LS1 including installing on carbs vs EFI the guys at popular hot rodding (http://www.popularhotrodding.com/en...re/0409em_gmpp/), and http://www.carcraft.com/techarticle...wap/index1.html from the guys at Car Craft.

There is a lot of talk over in the UK and New Zealand (see http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...133109&f=13&h=0 ) of putting LS1’s in newish TVR’s. There is also a lot of over inflated talk by one or two people starting to get into building kits for doing this, at frankly crazy prices.

I was wondering if you, would be able to help me out. I have a TVR Chimera 500 (5 litre Rover ex-Oldmobile – see pic’s). I would like to go the LS1 route, but would prefer to keep the EFI (std or after market efi) as it is a lot lower as far as the bits sticking up from the top of the motor (and TVRs have very low bonnets and would prefer to do all this with out having to cut the bonnet – much more fun).

I have found some info on the relative sizes of the two engines:- [ The Corvette LS1 engine measures approximately 25.25" long (Rover V8 is 27.5"), LS1 overall height is 24-25" (Rover V8 is 25.5" plus the carb and air filter or efi plenum, 29-30" or more), LS1 width across the cylinder heads is 20.5" (Rover V8 is 20")].

I can get hold of a used LS1 easily enough, but what I would like to know is:-

1) I see that from many you webpages you can get a system of plugging in the existing Vette or Camaro EFI loom to a different car than std, and being able to programme maps to the EFi for different engine setups (Cam changes? – LS6 spec?) / turning off parts of the ECU for things like AC - which I am not interested in.

HOW EASY IS THIS?

2) Any idea if you can mate up an LS1 to a t5 gearbox? I have heard this is a straight bolt up - but what about the spined hole in the LS1 clutch vs the spline I have on my t5 (not sure how many and what spec yet).

3) Does the Vette or Z28 have alternator / water pump externally mounted - they seem to differ.

It would be fantastic if any of you could give me any help with the above and / or be able to pass me on to anyone you think maybe able to help.

I want to be the first to do this in the UK using this great engine

Cheers
Jon Ellison in UK

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...0&memberId=7660
Attached Thumbnails LS1 in a TVR Chimera-purple-monster-engine.jpg   LS1 in a TVR Chimera-purple-monster-front.jpg   LS1 in a TVR Chimera-purple-monster-side.jpg  
Old 11-02-2004, 09:47 AM
SPG
On The Tree

John

I have an LS1 in a Cobra replica here in the UK, fitted using the T56, along with the GM loom and ECU. It was really rather straightforward

Gardner Douglas sportscars in Nottingham (who make the cob replicas) also sell Ls engines and Tremec boxes, and have a stand alone aftermarket ECU for the LS6, they might be a good choice for information and parts here, but they sell new stuff, not pull outs, so are priced accordingly

The LS1 is no bigger than the Rover, so it should fit fine

One issue is the air inlet, TB, and MAf are fitted to the front, so thats the point that you will have clearance issues, but if it fits in the vette, it should be OK in the TVR.

cant help with splines or gearbox fitting though, don't know enough about those.

You might need to change a few other items, like fuellines and fuel pumps to accomodate the 60psi pressure, and flow rates, but thats not difficult.

You can easily get the standard GM engine loom modified to work as a stand alone harness, or purchase an aftermarket loom.

drop me a PM if you want to and I'll give you my local number

I know another chap who is putting one of these in a COb who is in gatwick area, he may be close enough for you to pop over and have a look

hope that helps

Last edited by SPG; 11-02-2004 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Very project wish I could get the TVR legal over here.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

SPG - sounds the nuts maybe I should try to meet up sometime and see the monster.

I am having Tuscan caliper and custom 300m vented discs on the Chim in next few week - planning LS early next year - sell RV8 to finance most of the rest of getting LS1 and installation. If you could mail me you phone no I'll give you a bell.

Cheers
Jon
Old 11-02-2004, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

Mmm, I reckon your dimensions are not accurate when compared to a Rover. The LS1 is bigger than a Rover in almosy every respect and heavier, although not even close to the iron small block Chevy I used to run. I`ll measure the engine tonight when i get home. I bought my 2000 camaro engine for £3700 (yes I know america! faaarrr too many dollars, but this is rip-off Britain!) absolutely complete with accessories/ECU/Loom etc and 4L60 electronic transmission, from Rhino Salvage near Dover-Kent. I have subsequently changed to a Tremec TKO 11 3550 5spd. Your T5 is not a direct fit. Firstly the flywheel mounting flange on the LS1 sits 1/4" closer to the block and therefore so does the pilot bushing in the crank. A gearbox with correct input shaft length for a regular small-block is then 1/4" short of pilot bearing(spigot-bush). Secondly, your box will have the wrong spline count to retrofit a strong enough clutch. If you custom fit a clutch to fit the Ls1 cover then you need a bellhousing to mate the 2 up. Your box probably wont bolt up to a Chevy bellhousing so you will need an adaptor plate. That`s easy, but your input shaft has to engage the pilot bearing.....which it won`t! You can buy an extended pilot bush from Mcleod, but after all that your `box will not be strong enough! We all know that up until recently, a 400bhp TVR wasn`t! Their V8 probably won`t be as powerful as an LS1 and anyway has nowhere near the potential....500hp! Buy the correct box! I`ve bought a stand alone harness from Fuel Injection Specialties in Houston, Texas, for £380.00 delivered. The guy there, Vince, and the owner of the company, Tracy, were brilliant and spent hours explaining everything that I needed to know and why and three months later i still get e-mails from them asking how it`s going. I also sent them my ECU to be reconfigured for a manual transmission and to delete EGR/air-con/rear O2`s etc etc for £270.00. There are lots of sponsors on this forum who do similar work and If I did it again I`d use them but only because of that support. I got Injection`s details from Car Craft magazine before I discovered this forum!
I`m going with the GM ECU and will shortly be buying HP Tuners software which will be a sharp learning curve but look at the help available from this site....
Incidently, I was going to use a DTA or Emerald system from here in England but the DTA needs different trigger wheel and their people were not very helpful at all. Dave Walker at emerald(ppc magazine technical guru) slammed the LS1 as archaic and overated and actualy said no to me paying him to devise a management programme for it!
Although `live` mapping is not yet possible with the GM software, once it`s set up how many times do you really need to fiddle with it? Only after engine mods etc.....
Alternator and water pump are external, Camaro alternator mounted low down on the right(as you look at front of block), Corvette high up on right. I`m using the standard Camaro sump, untouched which fits great in the Capri chassis. (It`s a rear hump sump). These engines are supposed to be "old pushrod" technology but having recently been in a 2001 camaro I can`t wait to start the old capri up! It`s light years ahead of the small block I used to run. If you need more info come back to me as I`m typing this at work..Regards Robert

Quick Reply: LS1 in a TVR Chimera