Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 & manual tranny to toyota tacoma, which tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 07:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls1 & manual tranny to toyota tacoma, which tranny?

I am going to be putting a ls1 Into my 97 tacoma, A buddy who has done a 69 camaro, and is in the process of a 240z ls1 swap, is helping me. I had my heart set on a six speed. The motor I have found locally out of an 01 f-body has one, my concern is by my measurements, the shifter will be about 7 inches back from where the stock one is located, which is just too far even if I put bucket seats in it. Is there anyone who makes a shifter, that would curve foward, to compensate for this or is there any other way to do this. From the front edge of the bellhousing to where the shifter exits the tacoma tranny is about 21 inches, and I believe the t56 is about 28. I guess I could look for a t-5, or other options, but as I said earlier I was really wanting the six speed for the closer ratios, and tall 6th gear gas mileage. Thanks for any help, opinions and suggestions.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:13 AM
Conversion master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give Kiesler automotive a call. They have T56 conversions for several cars and I think they offer different shifter locations.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:34 PM
Launching!

I have been searching around, and It seems that there is a kit to move the shifter foward about 3 inches, come with a new rear section, and linkages. which would probably work, but it is $685 wich is not an option. Tremecs aftermarket tranny looks to also be offered with a 21"ish shifter location, but good luck finding a used one. What 5 speed tranny does the new full size trucks have? Are they any good, maybe that could be an option. Thanks again.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Well, I think I am going ahead and trying the f-body t56, and figure out the shifter problems once it is in the truck, The shifter in my mustang, curves back about 4 inches, and I think jtr makes an one inch adapter plate, that will make it only about 2 1/2 inches back, which I will deal with.

Quick Reply: ls1 & manual tranny to toyota tacoma, which tranny?