Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 6.0L LQ4 installed & running on Megasquirt! 1967 chevy pickup

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2002 6.0L LQ4 installed & running on Megasquirt! 1967 chevy pickup

I just completed the install of a 2002 6.0L vortec engine into my 1967 chevy shortbed pickup. First fired it up sunday afternoon, now have exhaust and everything done on it.

I am using the Megasquirt controler with EDIS code for ignition control.

all fuel and spark is controled by the megasquirt controler.

view my website for more info

www.lt1swap.com click on vortec 6.0L link at top of page.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Junkie

schweet!

are you running ford coilpacks, or did you somehow get the stockers to work?

i was going to run MS on my blown roller 400 SBC, but i ended up selling everything and swapping a cammed LS1 in. actually, i still have my MS.. i might need it someday.... lol.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I may have missed it but what oil pan are you running?

Are the mounts S&P or BRP style?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2005, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent!!!!

Busta ran a MS on his last motor too, an 8.1... He's using the EDIS coilpacks from Ford, much easier to deal with than trying to trigger the stock coil packs. EDIS and wasted spark do not work well with COP ignition, you're basically doubling the current & duty cycle on the COP coils and also doubling the power requirements form your charging system if you try to run COP in wasted spark mode...

So this is the third Megasquirt'd LS1 currently running, including turboberserker's pickup truck - which is in the final shakedown stages.

Good stuff guys, keep it coming!
Old 03-09-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ahh got my cold start enrichments worked out this afternoon. it was 41 degrees when i fired it up. started and idled great!

I was running the Ford coil packs on the 8.1L, but i switched to GM DIS coils, like what is found on 3.8L front wheel drive engines. I have the coils mounted behind the intake on the fire wall, almost invisible without looking for them. I am going to cut the bosses off the valve covers and epoxy them in, and maybe paint them to clean it up a bit. I also ordered a LS6 intake, I may swap it out, for the looks mostly, or I thought about the Cadalliac engine cover for the 6.0L.

I am using the stock 6.0L oil pan, it hangs down a bit, but it clears everything fine.

The motor mounts are from ebay, the are copy's of what you can buy from Transdapt for $49.95.

I am running headers. I used 1990 mustang shortie headers (aftermarket, not the stock crappy ones) and cut the flanges off, heated the tubes and reamed them to the oval shape of the LS1 ports, then welded to my LS1 flanges. They cleared the frame, motor mounts, and sparkplugs just fine using 45 degree boot plug wires. i will try to get pictures of the completed swap. keep checking my website.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Quick Reply: 2002 6.0L LQ4 installed & running on Megasquirt! 1967 chevy pickup