Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 oil pressure sender behind intake what is its value?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default LS1 oil pressure sender behind intake what is its value?

I am concidering using the sock oil pressure sender mounted behind the intake instead of using the tap off the oil filter and my stock sender. By my stock wiring diagrams for the car I know what is the full range of the oil pressure sender, does anyone know the full range for the LS1 oil pressure sender mounted behind the intake?

If it is different then I can fabricate a resistor bridge to convert it to the proper range unless I can find one that is the proper range.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't you just hook up an ohmeter to the sender in a pot of water on the stove to get the range? You can also use any after market sender in the stock location by getting the AutoMeter adaptor and a 45 degree 1/8 npt elbow.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redmist
Can't you just hook up an ohmeter to the sender in a pot of water on the stove to get the range? You can also use any after market sender in the stock location by getting the AutoMeter adaptor and a 45 degree 1/8 npt elbow.
boiling water is for temp, not pressure.....

jdperk-86elco:
if they wern t so expensive, i would have mapped out the pressure vs resistance curve myself... i haven't found any detailed info yet.... if you do find some PLEASE post it up to me....
i can say that the curve of it is very similar to that of earlier SBC GM sending units.. hooking it to my 3rdgen gauge makes the needle movement accurate.... but i have know way of quantifying what the needle positions mean.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hook up a mechanical gauge to the port by the oil filter. (You can rent them from Autozone, etc.) I have an Autometer gauge sender down there and the stock '70 Vette mechanical gauge in the hole behind the intake. The two gauges read within a pound or so of each other. Then you can hook a multimeter to the LS1 sender and map its output.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:31 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking through my Corvette manual the Oil Pressure Sender output is voltage and not resistance.

First the Corvette gauge range is 0-80 PSI and the sender is 0-5 Volt range.
Where 0 volts = 0 PSI and 5 volts = 80 PSI. It is a resistor but the PCM input is volts not resistance. The sender has three wires according to the diagram

1- the 5 volt reverence
2- ground
3- variable output voltage to PCM

So the question is can a circuit be designed to translate the voltage range into a calibrated resistance for a stock oil pressure gauge. It should be able to and I will look into it.

My stock guage input is 0-90 ohms from 0 to max PSI.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:43 AM
Launching!

Hmmm... I think you're trying to make this more complicated than it should be. Plug 220, pin A is what gives oil pressure gauge output right? Hook this to the signal side of any gauge and the gauge should work. Now I havent messed with the actual sensor/sender on the motor, but if youre using the LS1's PCM and wire harness already then why not use the 220A output?

Just trying to understand and help.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdperk-86elco
Looking through my Corvette manual the Oil Pressure Sender output is voltage and not resistance.

First the Corvette gauge range is 0-80 PSI and the sender is 0-5 Volt range.
Where 0 volts = 0 PSI and 5 volts = 80 PSI. It is a resistor but the PCM input is volts not resistance. The sender has three wires according to the diagram

1- the 5 volt reverence
2- ground
3- variable output voltage to PCM

So the question is can a circuit be designed to translate the voltage range into a calibrated resistance for a stock oil pressure gauge. It should be able to and I will look into it.

My stock guage input is 0-90 ohms from 0 to max PSI.
that must be a corvette thing, because my harness only has one oil pressure wire...(and a ground)

Originally Posted by StngKlr
Hmmm... I think you're trying to make this more complicated than it should be. Plug 220, pin A is what gives oil pressure gauge output right? Hook this to the signal side of any gauge and the gauge should work. Now I havent messed with the actual sensor/sender on the motor, but if youre using the LS1's PCM and wire harness already then why not use the 220A output?

Just trying to understand and help.
you can, and thats what i did..
my only complaint is that while i can accuratly see good pressure or bad, and tell where normal idle and normal max pressure are, i dont know what the numbers are in PSI.

if i can get my hands on a extra sensor, i want to hook it up to a metal tube. this tube also has a air pressure gauge and a tire valve... you pump up the tube to 10PSI, then measure and record the sensor output... and repeat that at regular intervals...

then you can have a accurate map of what the curve is...
Old 07-09-2005, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

0ohm to 100ohm, 40ohm =appr 30PSI, This is from 1999 F-body service manual.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:44 AM
TECH Regular

Default Duh

I should pay more attention...
Old 12-17-2005, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

is there an electric autometer gauge we can use and use this ECM oil pressure output?

Dave

Quick Reply: LS1 oil pressure sender behind intake what is its value?