Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 Radiator Into Third Gen Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 Radiator Into Third Gen Trans Am

I Want To Use The Radiator Of The 4th Gen And Put It In The 3rd Gen Trans Am. Direct Fit? Any Modifications That Will Need To Be Done? Will The Original Air Cleaner Fit?
Old 08-10-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it doesnt fit very well.... unless you cut/weld the car. then it fits perfectly.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would stick with the rad. you have. What are you needing to swap radiators for? ls1 swap?
Old 08-11-2005, 07:35 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default help

i fit my 4th gen rad by standing it strait up and using an lt1 shroud with ls1 fans.
02 ss rad
02 ss fans
97 shroud.
lil modifying (time consuming) to the shroud and everything fit with lil effort.
it makes the swap look that much cooler.
it almost doesnt clear the steering box. depending on the car, you may have to cut the fan blade cover a bit, but no mechanical differences.
in my setup, the 4th gen fans worked WAYYYY better than my stock fans (with a spohn wonderbar) stock fans and a spohn bar was a pita to remove them.
good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Ls1 Radiator Into Third Gen Trans Am-may16-08.jpg  
Old 08-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Thnx guy's! Hey TJ your picture help me much! I will look into a shroud of a 97 Lt1 trans-am. I notice the radiator cap sticks up a bit, im sure the hood closes fine right? My next question is...How did you go about for the aircleaner? along with the mass air flow sensor? any pictures? Just finished today installing my 4th gen tank into my 3rd gen. Went in with no problem! only thing I noticed was the fuel neck sticks out to much about 3 inches and need to trim it so the fuel door will close all the way. I bought some 4th gen fuel lines from ebay and on there way! Project going smooth, thnx to u guys. ahhh one more thing.. the vapor canister were is it located? is it the one that mounts on top of the fuel tank?

Reiko,
links to my ls2 pictures
http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ture0643lr.jpg

PS. did u install the ls1 a/c condensor as well? or kept the 3 gen?
Old 08-11-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The vapor canister on a fourth gen is in the drivers side rear wheel well. If your 3rd gen had a v8 it will be located under the hood on the passenger side front corner v6's had it on the drivers side. one line to the tank the other to the canister purge solenoid on the intake.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Thnx! can u take a pix of ur canister? my 1982 had the v8 crossfire and was located on the driver side under hood by the radiator and cruis control. Will I need this for emissions?
Old 08-12-2005, 01:47 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mexricanboy26
Thnx guy's! Hey TJ your picture help me much! I will look into a shroud of a 97 Lt1 trans-am. I notice the radiator cap sticks up a bit, im sure the hood closes fine right? My next question is...How did you go about for the aircleaner? along with the mass air flow sensor? any pictures? Just finished today installing my 4th gen tank into my 3rd gen. Went in with no problem! only thing I noticed was the fuel neck sticks out to much about 3 inches and need to trim it so the fuel door will close all the way. I bought some 4th gen fuel lines from ebay and on there way! Project going smooth, thnx to u guys. ahhh one more thing.. the vapor canister were is it located? is it the one that mounts on top of the fuel tank?

Reiko,
links to my ls2 pictures
http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ture0643lr.jpg

PS. did u install the ls1 a/c condensor as well? or kept the 3 gen?
i have a carb on my ls1. the hood shuts just fine with the rad cap sticking up, tho i do have a SS fiberglass hood. a 90 degree elbow will be your best bet for a cold air, the stock 3rd gen is VERY restrictive.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Teching In

This is it...
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Ls1 Radiator Into Third Gen Trans Am