Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0L vs 5.7L wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 6.0L vs 5.7L wiring harness

I know some of you FI guys run cast iron truck blocks in your FBodies so maybe you can answer my question...

I have a wrecked 2003 2500 series van with a 6.0L/4L80E setup to swap into my project car. However I want to go with an aluminum block engine for a variety of reasons... Will the stock 6.0L/4L80E ECM and wiring harness from that van work with a late model Carmaro or Firebird 5.7L engine while still properly controlling the 4L80E trans? What kind of problems will I run into? (It's going on a boosted setup, btw)

I know Speartech has an adapter for the FBody harness, but why spend the $300 when I already have the parts?

Thanks, -Dave
Old 08-11-2005, 06:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes the harness should control it, but you need the computer, and im not sure if the gauge hook up is different.
if your going to program it youll have to get the programmer for that year and computer vehicle type etc.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:16 AM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

If you use a truck harness on an LS1 you'll have to change the injector connectors as they are completely different. Plus the truck harness is kinda awkward looking on an LS1, but it can be made to work (in fact, it's even awkward looking on the truck engines it was designed for ).

If you are talking about our 4L60E to 4L80E adapter kit, it is $150 not $300!!

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 08-11-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Cool... $150 isn't too bad... I emailed you guys about the 4L80E adapter harness about a month ago but never heard back. Now is your chance to sell me on it!

Originally Posted by Speartech
If you use a truck harness on an LS1 you'll have to change the injector connectors as they are completely different. Plus the truck harness is kinda awkward looking on an LS1, but it can be made to work (in fact, it's even awkward looking on the truck engines it was designed for ).

If you are talking about our 4L60E to 4L80E adapter kit, it is $150 not $300!!
Old 08-11-2005, 05:31 PM

Sorry if I missed the email (that does happen here sometimes ). The kit gets you the plug and play adapter as well as the 4L80E 2 wire ISS harness that goes from the trans up to the PCM.

This would let you use the better looking LS1 harness on your project, but like I said before, you can use the truck harness and change the injector connectors, and add the truck MAF if you prefer.

www.speartech.com
Old 08-11-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info! If I go with the LS1 harness I will def be giving you a call... it is going to depend on the condition of the parts as well as which one fits the vehicle best. I'll be giving you a call if I decide to go with the LS1 harness!

Originally Posted by Speartech
Sorry if I missed the email (that does happen here sometimes ). The kit gets you the plug and play adapter as well as the 4L80E 2 wire ISS harness that goes from the trans up to the PCM.

This would let you use the better looking LS1 harness on your project, but like I said before, you can use the truck harness and change the injector connectors, and add the truck MAF if you prefer.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 Running Correct

The correct way to operate a 6.0 in on 6.0 electronics with the proper fuel map. Only when you cannot program the proper way, should you mix and match parts such as these.
If GM engineered it without some kind of adapter, wouldn’t you want to do the same.
If this method of thinking were correct, we would all have 6.0 Escalades running with 5.7 programs and totally different anti theft signals. Wow, sounds like a whole bunch of stuff that will not work. I think I would be fired, by all of my major prototype clients, if I built on this level.

Zac Speed Scene Wiring.
GM Wire Technician on fuel injection applications GM , Ford Chrysler. If its wire, I can make it work.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

So what are you suggesting? I shouldn't run the 5.7L engine with the 4L80E trans because GM never made a vehicle that did that, and the OEM parts aren't available to make it work?

Originally Posted by Speed Scene Wiring
The correct way to operate a 6.0 in on 6.0 electronics with the proper fuel map. Only when you cannot program the proper way, should you mix and match parts such as these.
If GM engineered it without some kind of adapter, wouldn’t you want to do the same.
If this method of thinking were correct, we would all have 6.0 Escalades running with 5.7 programs and totally different anti theft signals. Wow, sounds like a whole bunch of stuff that will not work. I think I would be fired, by all of my major prototype clients, if I built on this level.

Zac Speed Scene Wiring.
GM Wire Technician on fuel injection applications GM , Ford Chrysler. If its wire, I can make it work.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Default 5.7 LS1 w the 4L80e Trans

The luck that people have with electronic adapters mixed with GM electronics are very marginal. I would program the LS1 as a standard and run a stand alone, fully programmable TCI Transmission controller 4L60E / 4L65E and 4L80E / 4L85E. You can even custom tune the line pressure and solenoid timing with your laptop. You may spend about 155.00 more this way. Money is always the issue.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would have the computer programmed to a 6.0 w/4L80, and then just change the engine tuning to run the 5.7.
Since you are most likely goign to want to do the programming anyway, this seems liek it would be a smart route to go. I am sure John at Speartech could do that, unless he thinks the adapter is really the best way to go.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Default Have a great night.

My way of choice, would of course be to just run the 6.0 and the 4L80E electronics factory and not dice it up with the LS1 Idea. If you need a harness mod or just programming I can arrange a program for the LQ4 6.0 for 150.00 same day turnaround and free shipping. But I’m told I must leave my desk because we are closed for the day now. I enjoyed talking with yall today, have a good one.

Zac / Speed Scene Wiring
Old 08-12-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Alright man, thanks for the insight. I will keep you in mind when I figure out what components I am actually going to use... it's going to come down to whether or not I can find a wrecked FBody at the salvage auctions for the right price.

My way of choice, would of course be to just run the 6.0 and the 4L80E electronics factory and not dice it up with the LS1 Idea. If you need a harness mod or just programming I can arrange a program for the LQ4 6.0 for 150.00 same day turnaround and free shipping. But I’m told I must leave my desk because we are closed for the day now. I enjoyed talking with yall today, have a good one.

Zac / Speed Scene Wiring
Old 08-15-2005, 10:38 AM

Zac Speed Scene Wiring.

Zac,

Welcome as a new sponsor, BUT; do not come on here and bash our products!

Our 4L60E to 4L80E conversion kit is a proven product that we have been making for almost 2 years. It is in use on MANY vehicles in the GEN III community, and not some prototype client item or whatever you said in your immature and meaningless post above.

As a long time sponsor of this board I take pride in posting HELPFUL and ACCURATE information for others who frequent this area. You should try and do the same. If FastKat wants to buy something from you that's fine, I have no problem with competition, but you are not going to come on here and talk down our products in order to push your own.

After reading a few of your posts, here's a little advice:

1) Learn some Internet etiquette
2) Learn a lot about LS1 electronics

Have a good day!

www.speartech.com
Old 08-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Default Speed Scene Wiring

Hi Speartech, thanks for the heads up. As an avid competitor in this market, I would not talk you product down, I don’t like jump through modules that, may, make a trans shift.
And as for the 1 and 2 thing, keep it to yourself, don’t step on toes, it will only make you look like you need to impress people, due to a lack of knowledge. I’m sorry, if running the correct 6.0 electronics and transmission that belonged with the 6.0 operating system, is incorrect, You may want to inform GM about you findings. But in fact we are talking about the 6.0 not the LS1, there is an idea of going with an LS1 block. What harness does he have 6.0. What engine does he have right now 6.0. What trnas does he have right now, 4L80E. Sound like the simple and effective way to go, would be 6.0 electronics. I know you have been the only wire technician on this board for a long time, and that may have given your ego great rewards but you need to park that. Instead, enrich the user experience with a quality product and valid information.
I have enjoyed meeting you and thank you.

Zac Speed Scene Wiring.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, I do have a full 6.0L package now but I want to shed the 100lbs off the nose that the cast iron block adds to my already heavy car.... plus buying a 5.7L would make more sense, as I need the oil pan, intake, manifolds, etc for my build.

Speartech has been in business for a long time, has a very well-respected reputation and their products have been used (and recomended) by top automotive enthusiasts for a LONG time. (even before electronic engine systems were "cool!" )

One of the reasons I like this board is because I get a wide variety of valid viewpoints that are helping me plan and build my car, and I get to share what I learned with others... however, I think it's an unspoken rule that sponsors don't bash other sponsors... they just promote their own products. Coming in with an attitutude and trashing other vendors isn't going to help your sales... anyone considering giving you their hard earned money will agree.

Hi Speartech, thanks for the heads up. As an avid competitor in this market, I would not talk you product down, I don’t like jump through modules that, may, make a trans shift.
And as for the 1 and 2 thing, keep it to yourself, don’t step on toes, it will only make you look like you need to impress people, due to a lack of knowledge. I’m sorry, if running the correct 6.0 electronics and transmission that belonged with the 6.0 operating system, is incorrect, You may want to inform GM about you findings. But in fact we are talking about the 6.0 not the LS1, there is an idea of going with an LS1 block. What harness does he have 6.0. What engine does he have right now 6.0. What trnas does he have right now, 4L80E. Sound like the simple and effective way to go, would be 6.0 electronics. I know you have been the only wire technician on this board for a long time, and that may have given your ego great rewards but you need to park that. Instead, enrich the user experience with a quality product and valid information.
I have enjoyed meeting you and thank you.

Zac Speed Scene Wiring.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I knew there were mulitple reasons I don't like Speed Scene, I have heard several horror stories about their customer service over the years. Since I have been reading the posts on here, I am still very unimpressed.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

Default Other side of the coin

Well, I have used Speed Scene Wiring for a few years on a number of projects. The only problem I have had is that there phone was busy.

Originally Posted by Jones'n
I knew there were mulitple reasons I don't like Speed Scene, I have heard several horror stories about their customer service over the years. Since I have been reading the posts on here, I am still very unimpressed.

11 Second 69 Firebird — 12.9’s 99 T/A all stock
Old 08-16-2005, 06:59 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Programming a computer is the easy part. So, if you're cool with have a PCM from a van, this wouldn't be a big deal IMHO. What I would like to hear about is what all needs to be changed on the wiring/inj harness side of things. Is this a big deal?

Let me ask this. Which harnesses have a 4L80E in them from the factory? I"m guessing its just trucks and Vans.

I've seen posts about folks trying to retrofit a 4L80E into a car with various results.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/242824-has-anyone-succeeded-even-attempted-4l80-swap-yet.html

Let me ask this. Can a standard Ls1 car harness be retrofitted with the required connections for a 4L80E? I know speartech can build anything to anything harnesses. I'm just curious if you harness out the connectors right, is there a bunch that needs to be done to the stock computer required to make it work, or is it just the straight forward programming. Also, would it be simple to fab upa simple conversion harness pigtail to go to the 4L80E?

Obviously after reading NineBall's thread about how much of a PITA it was to do a painless harness in the Camaro, it sounds like a full on cusotm harness is the best way to go, but I just like to understand the options.

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Let's keep it civil please!
Old 08-17-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This guy talking "lack of knowledge" to Spears about GM electronics and software is like watching a Poodle bark at a Rottweiler.

Here are Spears' credentials since he's obviously too modest to bring the reality down...personally, I'd say 23 years working for GM, a EE degree, and a US patent make him pretty credible and cover the "given your ego great rewards" statement below.

http://www.speartech.com/whossfis.html

Haven't seen what Speed Scene Wiring has for credentials. Is "GM Wire Technician" a professional certification from some sanctioning body?

And as for the 1 and 2 thing, keep it to yourself, don’t step on toes, it will only make you look like you need to impress people, due to a lack of knowledge.

You may want to inform GM about you findings.

I know you have been the only wire technician on this board for a long time, and that may have given your ego great rewards but you need to park that.

Zac Speed Scene Wiring.

Quick Reply: 6.0L vs 5.7L wiring harness