327 LS1 69 Camaro Turbo AWD Protouring

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 327 LS1 69 Camaro Turbo AWD Protouring

Details

Stroke

I can hit 327 cu/in dead on via turning the crank and offset grinding.. Going from a 3.27 stroke to a 3.25 is easy..

Bore...

6.0 Iron truck block 4.0 bore'

Heads

Allpro

Exhaust

6.0 truck manifolds to turbos then into my own dual system with x-pipe using magnaflow mufflers...

Chassis... A rusty tub will get soda blasted, fresh rocker pannels and rear 1/4 pannels...

A tube frame kit and a tube frame floor pan kit will be used... Wheel tubs about like a mini tubed C5... Mostly because its easier to do than redo rusted OE... Fiberglass front end and deck lid... Original 327 paint scheme and badge.. Just alot better quality paint and finish...

Driveline... From dodge magnum AWD.. Mercedes based 5spd automatic 4matic... Magnum front diff and custom length CV 1/2 shafts. Rear live axle like most protouring cars but with 3 link and mumsford linkage locator....

Front suspension.. Front arms, spindles and brakes from magnum...

Wheels... Big centerline forged wheels..

Just some ideas... It will take alot of measuring and planning on doing the bellhousing adapter... A sheet of plate, a plasma cutter and a machinist buddy ought to cover it. A lockup stall will be available for the magnum eventually and I know a trans guy who could come up with some fortification ideas for any trans....

The rest of the car will be easier to put together than to find parts.. Not too many MAG AWD's in the yards yet..

I like to fabricate and weld and have some freinds who love to build a full car.... We are like allright ALOT of work..... If it all comes together 2 yrs out even I will admit its cooler than my DSM...
Old 08-23-2005, 09:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any LS1 powered car is cooler, and more reliable than a DSM

Id like to see the driveline setup, that will be the trick thing
Old 08-23-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

Mine is pretty reliable....

6 bolt block, ARP head studs and mains. O-ring head and block, ARP flywheel bolts.. SSG SFI approved flywheel.... I built reliablility in.... Alot of the thrown together 1/2 *** cars dont have 1/10th the component strength mods I added...

I say MY DSM is as reliable as a LS1.... If you know how to build them right a DSM can be a really fast fun car...

As for the driveline... Just look at a AWD magnum at a Dead Or Dying Green Elephant (Dodge) dealership...... Look underneath.. there are photos and diagrams of it online someplace too...

The hard part and main difference will be the bellhousing adapter.
Doing a custom chassis shop style floor pan will help me make room for the tcase etc.. Its alot easier to build the roller with engine and driveline. Then do the floor tin and finally put the body on.

I'll never have the LS1 with the lowest ET like W2W but I think I may be able to build the coolest pro-touring LS1....
Old 08-23-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Junkie

what about full IRS for the car also? with the rest of that, it seems like the only thing not really wild and trick. and id go with a LS2 if u want an 6.0 block cause of the weight dif between a truck iron block and an aluminum block
Old 08-23-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
what about full IRS for the car also? with the rest of that, it seems like the only thing not really wild and trick. and id go with a LS2 if u want an 6.0 block cause of the weight dif between a truck iron block and an aluminum block
1. IRS... Expensive.. Really expensive for high power.. Harder get to hook up... The trans Tq biases the rear more than the front.. In the front I might use a bigger reverse rotation diff from a truck in a carrier with stub tubes for equal length 1/2 shafts.

2. LS2 Block... Expensive.. Really expensive as compared to a truck block engine. 6.0 block handles alot of power..

Many details need to be dealt with. Its definately possible but finding the smart way to do it will take time and R&D.

I need to be able to afford to build the whole thing not just a rear end and a engine. Some parts will be the durable capable but economy versions. The really expensive parts with cheaper options are already out. Look what kurt at W2W did with the components in casper.. None of them are cheap but none jump out and say EXTREME hp part.

Last edited by V8_DSM_V8again; 08-23-2005 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Junkie

looks like if it works out that will be a awesome car in the end, just heavy. i agree on the cost of things, but u are going to end up with like a 70/30 weight distribution with all of the extra driveline components up front. the aluminum block weight diff might be worth the extra cost
Old 08-24-2005, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
looks like if it works out that will be a awesome car in the end, just heavy. i agree on the cost of things, but u are going to end up with like a 70/30 weight distribution with all of the extra driveline components up front. the aluminum block weight diff might be worth the extra cost
The magnum uses an aluminum front differential and axle tubes inbetween its CV's

I could also use a reverse rotation differential in a ford aluminum 8.8" IRS third member.. I'll just need a jackshaft and hanger bearing like on my AWD DSM.. This option will have more pan clearance... And I could use the LS2 pan with the axle hole thru it like the guy with the SSR says he has... the jackshaft will likely fit but the Magnum parts wont go thru it.

If I find a BW Astro Tcase or the newer escalade case it may get a GM trans to make it really easy to do..

With a 1pc glass front, full tube chasis, light forged wheels, glass trunk lid, and lexan everywhere but the windshield I'm not worried about building a porker. Eventhough I'll probably be running a LS1 Fbody AC system too...

The magnum is at 54/46 with its iron block... I will be close to 50/50 due to light front body parts and a heavier rear axle... Maybe a rear mounted battery etc.. Alot can be done on a ground up build..

Last edited by V8_DSM_V8again; 08-24-2005 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, I don't know where you guys are gettin all this time and money!!!! Sounds like a really really cool project... like something I'll see in the pages of a Summit catalog in a couple years!!
Old 08-24-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FastKat
Man, I don't know where you guys are gettin all this time and money!!!! Sounds like a really really cool project... like something I'll see in the pages of a Summit catalog in a couple years!!
No more like Chevy high performance, car craft and other such magazines.

The glass parts are cheap. I'm thinking of a normal hinged hood now.. Get the pro front end and a hinged glass hood. Maybe the bolt on trunk if the one it has is bad.. Then replacement sheet metal.. rockers and a pair of partial rear 1/4s

http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/679camaro.htm

$795

A good weld it yourself chassis kit is'nt too bad either...

Look at the cost of a new muscle car... I will be well under that with way more power and bragging rights as the builder of the car...
Old 08-24-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thought you were talking about an RX7 or some such?

You seem to have a lot of ideas. Sounds like you should pick one and build it.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, what is a DSM? The Magnum parts sound exspensive. Have you looked into a front diff from a trailblazer, explorer or liberty. I don't know anything about these but they may be easier to find.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Hey V8_DSM_V8Again

How much power are you shooting for out of that turbo motor?

Will that DC 5 speed stand up to that kind of power?

Seems to me it doesn't exactly have a proven track record as yet (still too new) especially at high power levels. And from all the stuff I've seen (Sy's & Ty's, and some other AWD applications) the transmission is usually the weak point. The front and rear axles usually hold up ok, and same with the transfer case, but the trans gets a beating.

I don't think the 700R4 / 4L60E / 4L65E would be any better. Its got a proven track record (of being weak and needing to be stonger). Maybe the 4L80E would be a good choice, but its heavy, real heavy.

The Dodge Magnum front end would not be my first choice either. It is going to have very limited availability which is going to mean high $$$. I'd suggest you look at the front end from either the S10 (82 to 04) or the Trailblazer. The S10 isn't known for being bulletproof, but most of the guys who break them are offroad and flying through the air (and the shock loading is what breaks them). However, they seem to hold up just fine in Typhoon and Syclone applications. There are a couple of Sy's and Ty's running 9's and 10's on the factory front diff & transfer case. Not sure if they're still running the 7.5" 10-bolt rear. The front axle is a aluminum case 7.25" unit. There aren't that many parts available for it, however (like a Zexel Torsen would be great, but I think the only option is a Powertrax locker, and even those are rumored to be discontinued). I don't have any info on the Tblazer stuff, you'd be on your own there.

But other than that, I think it'd be a WAY COOL RIDE!.... I'd thought about something like that, but don't have the time, $$$, patience, or skillset (being honest with myself) needed to build a ground up car.

'Dreamin'
Old 08-24-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Muffracing
First, what is a DSM? The Magnum parts sound exspensive. Have you looked into a front diff from a trailblazer, explorer or liberty. I don't know anything about these but they may be easier to find.
I think a reverse rotation ford 8.8" or 9" should be good for the front in a IRS 3rd member..
Old 08-24-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JustDreamin
Hey V8_DSM_V8Again

How much power are you shooting for out of that turbo motor?

Will that DC 5 speed stand up to that kind of power?

Seems to me it doesn't exactly have a proven track record as yet (still too new) especially at high power levels. And from all the stuff I've seen (Sy's & Ty's, and some other AWD applications) the transmission is usually the weak point. The front and rear axles usually hold up ok, and same with the transfer case, but the trans gets a beating.

I don't think the 700R4 / 4L60E / 4L65E would be any better. Its got a proven track record (of being weak and needing to be stonger). Maybe the 4L80E would be a good choice, but its heavy, real heavy.

The Dodge Magnum front end would not be my first choice either. It is going to have very limited availability which is going to mean high $$$. I'd suggest you look at the front end from either the S10 (82 to 04) or the Trailblazer. The S10 isn't known for being bulletproof, but most of the guys who break them are offroad and flying through the air (and the shock loading is what breaks them). However, they seem to hold up just fine in Typhoon and Syclone applications. There are a couple of Sy's and Ty's running 9's and 10's on the factory front diff & transfer case. Not sure if they're still running the 7.5" 10-bolt rear. The front axle is a aluminum case 7.25" unit. There aren't that many parts available for it, however (like a Zexel Torsen would be great, but I think the only option is a Powertrax locker, and even those are rumored to be discontinued). I don't have any info on the Tblazer stuff, you'd be on your own there.

But other than that, I think it'd be a WAY COOL RIDE!.... I'd thought about something like that, but don't have the time, $$$, patience, or skillset (being honest with myself) needed to build a ground up car.

'Dreamin'
Alot of power...... I wont do to a really high rpm stall..... I want a firm but low shock loading launch... like i do on the DSM to keep the trans in one piece... then once it is moving a bit give it more power...... I pull the hardest after a slight amount of roll...

I'm still thinking 8.8" or 9" front....

Maybe I will have make a tailhousing adapter plate and have a output shaft cut down and splined for the old 200R4 I already have torn down for a build up.......

I'll come up with something....
Old 08-24-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

The 200R4 would be an interesting choice. I'd always ruled it out because I didn't want to have to build my own tailshaft housing. Figured I had enough on my plate with the project I was looking at (6.0l v8 into a Bravada, what a sleeper it will be). And from what I understood, by the time the 200R4 was really strong, you had a bunch of money into it in billet parts and such. I have decided to go with the 4L80E for my Bravada, since its basically a T400 with a .75:1 overdrive. Stout enough to stand up to a beating in mostly stock form, and capable of 1000+hp in modified form (Parish has one in his 408 single turbo 10second 5000lb 1/2ton pickup, and so far I think he's only broken the input shaft once, and that thing is putting down at least 1000 ft-lbs to the tires.) Only problem with the 80E is its 32 spline and the BW 4472 AWD tcase is 27 spline. But there is an adapter available (from Turbotime).

Good luck with the project. Ought to be real good fun. I'm assuming its gonna have a full cage.....

'Dreamin'
Old 08-25-2005, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

It will be a tube chasis car... Based on the Art Morrison Max G chasis with some minor tweaks to make the AWD work... Just getting a old rusty 1st gen to get a tub from.... Then a bunch of VFN fiberglass....
Old 08-25-2005, 08:39 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a project for someone with lots of money and extra time. Good luck with it!
Old 08-28-2005, 05:15 AM
TECH Resident

That 67 camaro of yours prob cost some time and money too.. The main differences arent that much harder and the glass front saves both time and money over a oe style restoration... Mostly just the spindles, CV halfs, Jack shaft and trans with a T case are the main differences.. That and the frame but its a pre-bent weld together yourself operation with blue prints... We will have that part knocked out right and fast.. We love welding... I'll have a whole crew helping out with the big stuff like that. For the planning, engine building, turbo system and tuning it will be all me....

A freind will do the paint.. Another the machine work.... I just found out one can get me some cheap superflow dyno time.. I have connections and a band of gearhead brothers...
Old 08-28-2005, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Muffracing
First, what is a DSM?
turbo eclipse/talon/laser. Pretty much big piles of transmission breaking crap. Out of the guys I know that have modded them about 15 or so one has had good luck. All the others get on the road and break.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Most people get too agressive with the clutch on launch and kill the transmission....

Launch like some of those guys do and if it was a WRX STI, EVO, DSM it does'nt matter the trans is still dead...

I think its because only one out the 15 knew enough to build it right, tune it right and had the inteligence and self control to launch it right....

In the right hands that trans can handle 1000hp.... You just cant tap into everything you have the first part of the 60ft or else it will blow and blow bad...

Quick Reply: 327 LS1 69 Camaro Turbo AWD Protouring