Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9/4L80 Chevelle conversion - drive by wire to cable throttle body conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default LQ9/4L80 Chevelle conversion - drive by wire to cable throttle body conversion

I emailed this to Speartech but thought that I'd post it here as well and see if any one wants to chime in. I found some info on the a/c question by searching but nothing very specific.

I am putting a LQ9 engine w/ a 4L80E transmission into a 72 Chevelle. I will be using an aftermarket ecm (Megasquirt) to control the fuel/spark but would like to be able to control the transmission and air conditioning using the stock PCM. I have a PCM and wiring harness that came with the engine out of an Escalade (not sure what year) but was for an LQ9/4L65E setup with drive-by-wire.

Questions:
1. Can my stock PCM and wiring harness (out of the Escalade) be reworked to work with a cable actuated throttle body w/ IAC and the 4L80E transmission?

2. Does the Escalade air conditioning compressor require the stock PCM to function properly or can I activate it with the Chevelle’s stock wiring?

3. If question #2 is possible, would I be better off getting an aftermarket computer (TCI ?) to run the 4L80 transmission or should I use a GM PCM?
Old 09-19-2005, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If it were my project

I'd get a Fly by wire to cable, conversion throttle body from Scoggins-Dickey, or Howard Performance about $475.00. (avoid FAST) And I'd run an upgraded GM OEM, PCM (Powertrain Control Module, proper nomenclature for GM ECU with engine management & intergrated control of 4L60E and 4L80E automatic trans) and complete new wiring harness pacakge.

Good luck on your project
Old 09-19-2005, 07:23 PM
Conversion master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you let us know what Speartech says. It could be useful info for others. Also, I may be interested in your fly by wire throttle body if you want to lose it.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 70 LS1
Make sure you let us know what Speartech says. It could be useful info for others. Also, I may be interested in your fly by wire throttle body if you want to lose it.
Will do, and if I go without the ETC I'll hit you up to see if you still want it.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:17 AM
Conversion master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very cool.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's the response to my email (from John at Speartech, I think he posts on here sometimes so I hope he doesn't mind me posting this):

1. Yes it can. There is some extra work involved due to the throttle and transmission change, but it is certainly do-able. It would add about $85 to the rework price ($450).

2. You can run the A/C from the Chevelle wiring. You can just come off of the low pressure switch of the Chevelle system and go directly to the A/C compressor and leave the PCM out of it completely, or you can still hook up the PCM A/C "status" wire so that the idle adjusts when the A/C comes on. It will work ok either way.

3. If you have eliminated the PCM for everything else it might be easier to just use the TCI unit. It's kind of expensive but might be easier than just using the GM PCM for trans control.

Personally, I would rather use the GM PCM to control ALL of it, but I understand different people have different ideas on what they want.

John
Speartech Fuel Injection Systems, Inc.

Quick Reply: LQ9/4L80 Chevelle conversion - drive by wire to cable throttle body conversion