Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Sequential Transmission to replace my T56

Old 11-12-2005, 08:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Manual Sequential Transmission to replace my T56

Has anyone replaced their stock transmission with a manual sequential gearbox? I think the C6Rs have the kind of transmission I am looking for. I don't drive my 99 WS6 Vert competitively, but I have spent a lot of time and miles in the saddle of a 92 Honda CBR600F2 and an 02 CBR600F4i and love the way those gearboxes work. I am not interested in paddle shifters. I still want gear selection from the existing area of the center console.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be sure to post the results of your search, once you find out. I'm sure many of us would like to know.
olly
Old 11-12-2005, 03:19 PM
Launching!

Well, C5R/C6R uses a transaxle so it sits in the rear of the car. They also use a $30,000 Hewland transaxle with trans and diff coolers. You'd be better off trying to find a way to get a sequential shifter than a sequential trans in your car. The only T56 I know of that is sequential shifted is in the Aston Martin Vanquish, and the gearbox alone (not including the pump, lines, computer and paddles) is $23,000.
Good luck with your project.

Tyler
Old 11-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Don't know of any sequentioal manuals, but Gear Vendors make a system that converts a 4 speed auto into an 8 speed manumatic via some extra overdrives. You can get the kit to me fully manual and have launch control. There was an aticle about it in the latest Camaro Peeformers magazine.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Well, I blew about three hours on Saturday looking for my new transmission. Found lots of interesting cars and companies, but it looks like the prices start around $18,000.00 for just the transmission. That is more than I paid for my car (used)! Anyway, since I opened this can of worms, I thought I would post the one I found most interesting. I believe Holden has a relationship with General Motors and this thing has to be a beast! The transmission comes from a company called Holinger Engineering. I have always wanted to keep by vert as stock as possible so I think I will cease my search and spend that time and money enjoying what I have. Thanks for the interest! Tom
Old 11-15-2005, 06:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Teetoe_Jones
Well, C5R/C6R uses a transaxle so it sits in the rear of the car. They also use a $30,000 Hewland transaxle with trans and diff coolers. You'd be better off trying to find a way to get a sequential shifter than a sequential trans in your car. The only T56 I know of that is sequential shifted is in the Aston Martin Vanquish, and the gearbox alone (not including the pump, lines, computer and paddles) is $23,000.
Good luck with your project.

Tyler
Actually they fired Hewland after the '03 season and went with Xtrac gearboxes. The Hewland pieces failed during the 24hrs of LeMans and had a less-than-stellar season that year, since they went with Xtrac they've had no trans issues that I've seen.

And to the original poster...it'll cost more than twice what you paid for your car. The shifter is tied into the PCM so it can interrupt fuel/spark during shifting, logic that doesn't exist in the stock GM microcode.

In the unlikely event you can pop $50K for all this, keep us posted!
Old 11-15-2005, 07:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GR8RYD
I believe Holden has a relationship with General Motors
As an FYI

Holden = GM Austrailia (more than just a relationship)

Similarly Vauxhall & Opel are GM's European divisions.

'JustDreamin'
Old 11-18-2005, 05:26 AM
Teching In

Hollinger is known to make great, albeit pricey, boxes.
The less computer aided sequential boxes use dog gears, and they have to be checked throughly on a regular basis. The BMW type SMG's use so many computer controls, that unless you are a computer science guy, with oodles of time and skill, you're not going to make it work for anything less than 30-40k.

Cool, yes.. Practical, no.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the education. Like I said earlier, I think I will cease my search and spend that time and money enjoying what I have. Thanks! Tom
Old 11-18-2005, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MattSEG
Hollinger is known to make great, albeit pricey, boxes.
The less computer aided sequential boxes use dog gears, and they have to be checked throughly on a regular basis. The BMW type SMG's use so many computer controls, that unless you are a computer science guy, with oodles of time and skill, you're not going to make it work for anything less than 30-40k.

Cool, yes.. Practical, no.

Yes, even if you could adapt one of the non computer controlled racing "dog box" sequentials to our cars, the gear whine from those things is deafening! (Think interior of a Trans Am series race car. And yes, I know most TA series cars are not sequentially shifted, but the noise volume is the same.)

Last edited by dailydriver; 11-30-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:59 AM
Teching In

What if you could do something similiar for less? This may sound awfully stupid...but one day you can have your T-56 converted to a clutchless manual for approximately $5-6K give or take. Well you still use the clutch for takeoff but once moving it's not needed. The synchros are replaced by roller bearing clutches, which allows 2nd gear to overdrive 1st and so on. Pricing isn't set in stone last I heard. www.zeroshift.com is the company.

The viper folks have talked about this, and there's alot of in-depth info here:
http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/sho...fpart=all&vc=1

I believe it's still in the testing phase but they've had great success so far. Can't speak for anyone else but I for one will definitely keep tabs on this.

Last edited by kovachian; 11-30-2005 at 01:05 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manual Sequential Transmission to replace my T56