Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS4 W-Body swap

Old 12-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS4 W-Body swap

I had a few questions regarding swapping a 5300 V8 from an 06 Impala SS.

Background info...
The motor would be going into a 1st gen W-Body Regal (1995). The car already has an 3800 II S/C in it. I planned on buying a used w-body subframe from the junkyard to mount the engine and transmission on it and install the subframe/powertrain in one easy step.

Unlike the 3800/3400/3100 mounting in w-body cars, the 5300 does not have the center frame mount that supports the engine. It has a front and rear mount on the passenger side. I plan on using the mounts supplied with the engine.LS4 for sale on eBay

I plan on running the engine on an A4 F-body ecm. I won't connect the DoD soleniod and it will default to full 8-cyl operation A 3.23 axle ratio is close to the 3.29 axle ratio that the Impala uses. The passkey II security protocol is easily bypassed with this PCM, much easier than the passlock or the passkey III transponder system like on the Impala. Plus the f-body ecm will run the engine in a very liberal fashion...5800RPM rev limiter, 140+ top speed, etc. The f-body ecm should be able to control the shifting as long as they both go by the same 4000 pulses per mile standard. The only holdup now is the electronic throttle controls.

The electronic throttle control TB unit attaches to the intake with four bolts.
Most Gen IIIs use a three bolt configuration. The gen IV's use a four bolt electronic actuator. Is there any way I can mount a cable style system instead of the electronic actuator? That seems to be the only way GM controls the generation IV's.

Also on a side note, I would be all for using the electronic throttle actuator and the O6 Impala PCM to enable the DoD system, but there seems to be no way to bypass the Passkey III transponder security system without transferring the BCM, Theft deterrent module, and the ignition lock cylinder assembly... And it is not as easy as simply "programming out" the theft deterrent features. The new pcm architecture that is used, along with the new GM High/Low speed controller area network is not currently being hacked as far as I know....

I appreciate any help that you all can provide with this matter...
Old 12-26-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a few things,
what reductor wheel does the LS4 come equipped with?
if its the new style, then u have a problem using the f-body computer. swapping in a LS1/LS6 reductor wheel might work, but im only speculating.

what size is the throttle body?
if its a 90mm, then a NW or FAST 90mm f-body tb would probably work.
if you want to keep drive by wire for some reason, a C5 computer might work for your app

HP Tuners is very soon releasing support for the new style GM computer, and im assuming that the LS4 will be soon supported. that may take care of the passkey stuff by being able to disable it within the computer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS4 W-Body swap