Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Dimentions vs standard SBC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Motor Dimentions vs standard SBC?

Hey guys, I am new to this forum and recently decided to go with an LS1 for my project car. I have a 1986 Volvo 240 wagon I purchased for the intent of putting a small block in it. I was always planning on just putting in like a zz4 and calling it a day, but I found a wonderful carb conversion kit for the LS1. This would make my swap weigh about 40 pounds more than the stock motor.

To me, this is wonderful. I dont have to bang out the firewall (no distributor) and since its all aluminum it weighs so much less. Well I have general questions about the LS1.

First off, what is the difference in size? Like is a 350 block the same size? Is the ls1 skinnier? Wider? Taller? The conversion manual I bought deals with LT1/350/305s. Nothing is stated about the ls1, it wasnt really out when the first edition of the book was written. I am okay with hood clearence problems, hood scoops and stuff always fix that right up, but the steering shaft will be a big issue if the motor is shaped differently. Also, where is the oil filter in relation to the older ones? And one last question. Is the oil pan shaped similarly to the LT1 oil pan? Or is it way different?

Edit: By shaped, i mean dimentions, not bolt pattern.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well here is my educated guess. i hope this info isnt wrong and i look like an ***.

well the ls1 has a longer stroke and a shorter bore than a lt1 or other sbc. and since i know that your cant really bore an ls1 because there isnt much room to do so, therefore:

the engineis slightly shorter than an lt1, similar width, and maybe the block is a little taller but i think the ls1 intake manifold compensates for that. the best thing to do it look closely at the clearances in an lt1 f body vs and ls1 f body since it is the same size engine bay (you would think) and the two different engines.

i used to have a 1982 240 and a 1987 740 turbo. i loved those cars and i wanted to do the same thing but i got rearended in the turbo at 60 mph
Old 01-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Teching In

Sounds good, the company that makes the manual also makes the motor mounts. Is an LS1 motor mount located in the same area?

Also, i assumed this one but thought of it now, do all the bellhousings for a standard 90 degree motor fit? I need a non-camaro(not tilted towards driver) bellhousing.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:18 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The LS1 uses a different motor mount pattern than a standard SBC, 4 bolts instead of 3. One of the bolt holes is in the same position, the bottom center of a SBC. There should be patterns for adapter plates in the FAQ`s.

Any standard SBC bellhousing will bolt up to an LSx series motor, however the crank flange does not stick out as far on the LSx series motors. There are spacers that will make older style automatics bolt up, but as far as a stick , I am sure someone makes an adapter, but I can`t really point you in any direction
Old 01-15-2006, 12:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LS motors are actually alittle wider at the bottom and more so at the top. I'm basing this off what a 4.3 V6 was (same width as a 350) in my S10 pickup. I'm thinking you might (no way without actually dropping it in there) have to modify the steering on the car to clear manifold or headers. Good news is the LS1 is actually about 2 inches shorter than a regular 350. I know it is just slightly longer than the 4.3 that was in my truck. Hope this info helps.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G-Body
The LS1 uses a different motor mount pattern than a standard SBC, 4 bolts instead of 3. One of the bolt holes is in the same position, the bottom center of a SBC. There should be patterns for adapter plates in the FAQ`s.
Do they mount in the same location to the vehicle?
For example, if i took an LT1 out of an old camaro, and put in an LS1, would LS1 motor mounts fit the chassis of the LT1 motor mounts?

This is the motor mount, see what i am asking?
Volvo 240 SBC motor mount

Last edited by misterbill; 01-15-2006 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:32 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you mean the same position as in width? or front to back? The width should be the same but it depends on the thickness of your adapter plates, and front to back depends on whose adapters you buy, or is completely adjustable if you make your own.
Pictures of street and performance places (factory front to back location)
http://www.hotrodlane.cc/ONLINETECH/ls1motormounts.html

Dimensions of the plates
http://matt.undiagnosed.org/ls1/imag...ount_plate.jpg
Old 01-15-2006, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G-Body
Do you mean the same position as in width? or front to back? The width should be the same but it depends on the thickness of your adapter plates, and front to back depends on whose adapters you buy, or is completely adjustable if you make your own.
Pictures of street and performance places (factory front to back location)
http://www.hotrodlane.cc/ONLINETECH/ls1motormounts.html

Dimensions of the plates
http://matt.undiagnosed.org/ls1/imag...ount_plate.jpg
I did some searching on the site and figured it all out.
From what I see, I'll need:
volvo motor mount to SBC bar, old corvette sbc motor mount, those backing plates, and then bolt them to the mounts on the ls1.

Thanks guys, looks like all the hurdles will be taken care of.
Now for some other questions, ill be making a new post.

Quick Reply: Motor Dimentions vs standard SBC?