Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 to LS1 swap ??????

Old 01-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 to LS1 swap ??????

I have a 93 TA with an LT1 motor in it. I want to swap to an LS1 out of a 98-02 TA or Camaro. Do I need to get a Complete wiring harness or do they make one that you can just swap the wiring harness under the hood?? Thanks for any info
Old 01-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Why would you swap out a V8 for another V8 that puts out like 25 more horsepower.

Just put a cam and heads on the LT1 and rebuild it.

- LT14Formula
Old 01-20-2006, 11:31 AM
What's a Sticky?

I'm sure Painless Wiring makes something. And I believe you will also need different motor mounts and I think the bell housing is different on LT1 and LS1's.

Not meaning to put you down on your idea, but did you realize with all of the money that you spend on this swap you can EASILY make your LT1 faster than most of the modified LS1's?? Just a thought.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Teching In

well, the problem is, i pit a performance waterpump on it from Summit and I think it is circulating my coolant too fast, i dont have heat anymore and the temp guage hasnt been the same since. I am fed up with my set up. Any suggestions??
Old 01-20-2006, 05:19 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

take that waterpump off?

Higher stat?
Old 01-20-2006, 05:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Best way to swap is sell the 93 TA and buy a 98 TA, if that water pump on the LT1 is giving you that much trouble I dont think you want to take on a swap like this because a swap like this is a ton of work, time, money and head ache. I have thought about it and really the only way I would do it is if I found a LS1 car that was wrecked from the back so I would have a complete parts car.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Default lt-1/ls-1 swap

you will need the wiring harness from the donor car and the sub frame the motor mounts are in different locations. if you want the easy way out buy a aftermarket tube sub frame summit has one in its catolog have fun with it :
Old 01-21-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would suggest a full LT1 rebuild instead of the LS1 and here is why

LS1 will yes put out about 30-40 more whp in stock form..

if you took an LS1 and LT1 and did the same options with say...3000 dollars *some things will be different* they will be around the same power bands due to heads/cams

be in your best interest to instead do a head/cam swap and you will be a lot quicker than swapping a used LS1 motor which could have problems...rebuild your motor and you know whats exactly done to it
Old 02-01-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok fellas i'm thinking of doing the same thing. The Reason: I drive alot and a little better gas mileage is all i need. I don't want a SUPER fast (heads cam) I just want a STOCK Ls1. I love teh LT1 but the gas mileage is so up and down. Just want a stock. maybe put some headers and exhaust system on it later!
Old 02-01-2006, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

thats retarted
Old 02-01-2006, 11:20 PM
Teching In

I just don't see the point of swapping a LT1 for a LS1. Granted the LS1 is a better engine stock for stock and probably modified (depending on dollars spent ofcourse), however it just isn't worth the hassle of a swap imo. The LT1 can make a ton of power if build right, just spend the money there. A low compression LT1 with a ton of boost =
Old 02-02-2006, 02:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackBirdWs6Zzz
Ok fellas i'm thinking of doing the same thing. The Reason: I drive alot and a little better gas mileage is all i need. I don't want a SUPER fast (heads cam) I just want a STOCK Ls1. I love teh LT1 but the gas mileage is so up and down. Just want a stock. maybe put some headers and exhaust system on it later!
The LS1 and LT1 gas mileage are the same buddy...You probably need a tune up, a big one. Headers will give you some better gas milage. Do your routine check on your car to see why your gas mileage sucks. Oh yeah, lay off the gas.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

O2 sensors could be gone
Old 02-02-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Isnt it funny how you ask for advice and everyone just seems to tell you your idea is stupid. You wouldnt want to get rid of that "all mighty" lt1 who puts down that whopping 275 horsepower. Swap in the ls1, much better motor with much more potential. If the motors were so closely identical and there were no benefits of building the ls1, then why would gm go through all the trouble to create a motor that was completely different and only retained the original bore size? Im not positive on what all you will need, but you will need kmember with mounts, wiring harness, computer, all accessories, etc. You might try the conversions section, you will probably get more help. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you Strokinit383! Ive been searching for hours on a thread that has a complete list of whats needed for an ls1 swap in an lt1 car. All I can find is "why would you do that". I have found a few bits of useful information though. I just need to know what to do about the wiring harness, fuel lines, and if the ls1 will bolt up to the lt1 4l60.

Heres why Im doing it: i have a rolling lt1 chassis, and an ls1 in the corner of my shop.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

haha....you two guys are awesome. Thanks for the back up. Obviously i know i could build up an LT1 bla bla. I do'nt want to buy a newer trans am cuz i love my body style ETC. I just want a LS1, i don't care about the hassle, it's what i want. So nail me to a stake!!

On second thought, just let me do a swap and please give me some insight on how i can do this. I have done my research and would rather put my money in a LS1 rather then an LT1.

So again, if somebody can help with a list. I have a few things listed. Just confirm if you can. I know someone out there has done it!! this is what i have so far.....

LS1 into a F-body '93 - '02 Parts needed:
LS1 and V8 Transmission (none of the F-body
V6 Transmissions will work behind the V
V8 Front Suspension Crossmember $150
(Each engine had different motor mount holes)
V8 Heater Hoses $40

Will need '97 Corvette fuel rails or rails modified by Street and Performance
to hook up the stock lines or an external pressure regulator.
Due to electronics changes from year to year and difference in V6 & V8 cars,
it is impossible list all the different changes and mods that would be required
to be made to install the LS1 in a V6 or LT1 car.

HELP ME PLEASE!
Old 02-02-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

haha....you two guys are awesome. Thanks for the back up. Obviously i know i could build up an LT1 bla bla. I do'nt want to buy a newer trans am cuz i love my body style ETC. I just want a LS1, i don't care about the hassle, it's what i want. So nail me to a stake!!

On second thought, just let me do a swap and please give me some insight on how i can do this. I have done my research and would rather put my money in a LS1 rather then an LT1.

So again, if somebody can help with a list. I have a few things listed. Just confirm if you can. I know someone out there has done it!! this is what i have so far.....

LS1 into a F-body '93 - '02 Parts needed:
LS1 and V8 Transmission (none of the F-body
V6 Transmissions will work behind the V
V8 Front Suspension Crossmember $150
(Each engine had different motor mount holes)
V8 Heater Hoses $40

Will need '97 Corvette fuel rails or rails modified by Street and Performance
to hook up the stock lines or an external pressure regulator.
Due to electronics changes from year to year and difference in V6 & V8 cars,
it is impossible list all the different changes and mods that would be required
to be made to install the LS1 in a V6 or LT1 car.

HELP ME PLEASE!

For those other guys who want to do this........this may help. Go to this site : http://www.hpsalvage.com/ and click on specs. Should find some stuff!
Old 02-02-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

The lt1 based transmission will not work with the ls1, actually it will but there will be 3 bolt holes that wont line up (this is what i heard) so i wouldnt recommend it. For fuel, you could just route new lines from the metal hard lines underneath the drivers side fender to a fuel pressure regulator. For some reason i dont think ls1's have regulators, but this should work. Thats what i did on my carb setup. Run AN lines to the regulator, then you could run AN lines to your fuel rails. The harness will just need spliced into the wires at the firewall, im guessing they will probably be the same color but IM NOT POSITIVE. Check your wiring schematics. Use the new computer, k member, ls1 mounts. Im not sure about the power steering pump lines, may or may not bolt right up to the ls1 pump. Youll need ls1 headers/exhaust manifolds. This should be good to get you started. Like i said ive never actually done the swap but im assuming you will need all these things.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the guys in this (lt1) forum are going to be a bit biased. I have a 93 formy w/lt1 and did an ls1 swap...now twin turbo. Think went much easier than expected. Check in the conversion section about how to do.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help! You guys will make this alot easier with your help! I've found some engines with pretty much everything (computer, wire harness etc) Just gotta find one close.

I found one engine but it needs throttle boy, rockers, intake, cam sensor etc, i'd like something whole.

I actualy did post in the convertions but got really no response.

I figured i'd get a bigger reply from the LT1 sections. Lots of bashing but sorry guys....i have a dream and i want to do it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 to LS1 swap ??????