Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It has begun, 5.3L swap into 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default It has begun, 5.3L swap into 3rd gen

Today I did a little test fitting. I found out a few things that I pretty much expected. The truck exhaust manifolds won’t work, the oil pan is very very close to the ground, and the intake is very tall. So now I need to get some f-body manifolds, and we’re hoping a cowl hood will fit over that tall intake. I was thinking of just chopping the oil pan and getting it welded up.

This car is somewhat of a budget build, it belongs to my buddies old man. It was a 2.8L V6 car, he said he wanted to put a V8. in it, so I told him I have an engine in my garage that we can make fit. The 5.3L came out of my truck, I swapped it for a 6.0L two years ago. I have the harness and everything that came with the 03 6.0L.
Using a car intake would be a lot easier, but I would need to get a lot of parts the make the car intake fit.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:43 PM
10 Second Club

nice. a 327 third gen
Old 01-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

u should leave that oil pan on just to see how long it lasts....wouldnt want to be driving behind you over speed bumps.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that oil pan is low. I would swap it with a f body pan that should give good clearance. and I would also look for a regular ls1 manifold, should fit the 5.3 and clear the original hood. you could probably find one for between free and 40 dollars. unless you already have the cowl hood.

good luck, like the color.

Josh
Old 01-23-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think that pan would hit or be very close to hitting the ground, if the suspension bottomed out. Me and my buddy pushed down of the front the car to see how close we could get it, and I think we had it down an inch from the ground, maybe less. So I think the plan is to cut and weld up that pan, i'm not sure how much to take off yet, probably 2" would be enough.

As far as the intake goes, its not really the intake that cost the moneys its all the stuff you need to go with it, all the accessories have to be changed. Its also a lot harder to find camaro parts up here, unlike truck parts. I do have a used bolt on hood cowl coming, its off my neighbors iroc, I haven't seen it yet, but he says it’s a 4" cowl, so I hope it works.

Quick Reply: It has begun, 5.3L swap into 3rd gen