Sponsored by:

Eclipse GSX w/ AWD and LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 02:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eclipse GSX w/ AWD and LS1?

Hey all,

I know this has been tossed around on here before, but I'm on dial-up so figured I'd try and get some updated responses in this thread while I do a ton of searching over the next couple of days.

I'd like to swap a LS1 into a GSX while keeping/strengthening the AWD but I'm unsure what tranny is workable with the AWD. I'm not sure if the T56 would work, or Chevy's new six-speed auto, or what direction I should look in...

Anyone have any ideas? It'd be a fun street car with 400HP, AWD, and relatively low weight.

Thanks!

Thomas
Old 02-10-2006, 03:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol your nuts, good luck, if you can do it, and finish it, let us know and post vids
Old 02-10-2006, 03:54 AM
On The Tree

No way. I owned a Talon Tsi, no way. The motor and transaxle are mounted in front, along with the transfer case being part of the tranny. You can't keep the AWD. Most likley the motor and tranny won't go in any how. But good luck?
Old 02-10-2006, 04:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe a EVO. I think there engine points forward.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

as far as an ls1 in a dsm... small block has been done w/ rwd setup. but awd ls1... ur out of control. u need to lock it down.

the 4g63 breaks axles, transfer cases, transmissions. wut will an ls1 do?

to make it happen... maybe the ls1 out of the new impala (i doubt it will fit), but if it does thats ur best bet for awd and trying to retain the weak mitsu trans, etc.

if u really wanna swap something in, i would search about typhoons/cyclones awd v6 turbo. maybe that would be more awd swap friendly, but who knows i could be way out of line w/ that comment

and the evo engine does not point forward. i do believe their bay is slightly larger, though.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

The Typhoons & Syclones' AWD drivetrain isn't really all that special.

Transfer case is production item from the '91 to '96 Bravada and '90 to '97 AWD Astro and Safari minivans.

Front axle components are the same as the Bravada which uses 95% of the standard S10 4x4 parts. Nothing really earth shattering there.

An AWD DSM with and LS1 would be very cool. However, I don't think ANY of the Mitsu drivetrain parts could stay (I expect you'd break just about anything you kept), so this won't be a little swap. Basically you're talking about replacing everything: engine / trans / transfer case / driveshafts / differential(s) / half-shafts / hubs / bearings......At that point, you might as well build a tube chassis car and hang DSM sheetmetal on it. Or fabricate some really cool sheetmetal for it, since it won't be that much more work.....

Needless to say, you're looking at a project that will take a boatload of time and an equal amount of money. Probably time to set your sights a little lower.

'JustDreamin'
Old 02-10-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

probably impossible..unless you make it rwd. the stock engine is mounted transversly...and a ls1 is to long to be put that way...and if you mount it the other way..you won't be able to keep the awd...so..unless you left it a lil bit and get a awd drivetrain...maybe a awd drivetrain from an audi put in...put any way you cut it...u'll be the first...and it'll be expensive.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

kinda off topic, but i saw a eclipse with a northstar engine mounted in a midengine setup. really cool idea, but wasn't executed all that great in the rear design
Old 02-11-2006, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastlt1
Maybe a EVO. I think there engine points forward.
Nope, I've had a look under the hood of my buddy's Evo (as well as a few at various shows) and it's a transverse-mount setup, much like the old DSMs. Fun car though
Old 02-11-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone did do a LS1 rwd, but he sold the car with out it being a finish project.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

Nothing is impossible, but this kind of swap will requiere alot of planning measuring, cutting, welding and pacience, lots of it.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:18 AM
On The Tree

What about the drivetrain from an early Audi quattro coupe?

Hell, what about the Audi quattro coupe? Like the 1983 Audi Quattro Coupe.

Maintaining the 4 wheel drive drivetrain, removing the turbo 5-cyl and stuffing an LS1 into it.

2800lbs, all wheel drive, 300+ hp and torque. Or a Audi TT? (That's getting a little expensive for my taste, but just for speculation...)

Quick Reply: Eclipse GSX w/ AWD and LS1?