Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring diagrams for LS1 and/or LS6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 08:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring diagrams for LS1 and/or LS6?

I was told that there is a post in LS1Tech somewhere that has links to many of the wiring diagrams for LS1's or LS6's, but I can't find it. Any ideas where it is or where I can get the diagrams?

I'm in the planning stages of an LS1 or LS6 transplant into a Mercedes. I have the wiring diagrams for the Benz but need them for the GM engine.

A friend has offered me an 02 LS6 with '98 PCM and IF I can afford it, that's what will be going into the Benz. BUT... I gotta wire it up. Are the schematics or wiring diagrams different for an LS1 vs LS6? Can I upgrade to a newer PCM for the LS6 without having to get a whole new wiring harness? This will definately be a street car and I don't have a problem running cat with all four O2 sensors.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-12-2006, 08:48 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

There's a book, "Corvette fuel injection & electronic engine management" by Charles O. Probst that has a lot of info, including wiring and ecu pinouts.

Covers LS1, as well as older models
Old 02-12-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM sells a book 'Ls1 Engine Kit Installation Guide' GM P/n 88959384. It has about 15 pages of pin outs and schematics, plus a lot of other info including Diganostic codes, part numbers and descriptions of how all the major engine systems work. It is kind of spendy at about $35, but it does have some excellent information. The same info may be available from other sources as Steve has said. You can get it from your dealer and I have also seen them on EBay

Pat
Old 02-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Launching!

I bit the bullet and purchased my friend's LS6 motor. Absolutely blew the budget, but now I got horsepower.

Are there significant differences in the PCM/ECMs and their wiring between LS1 and LS6? Can I still use the LS1 Engine Kit Installation Guide or do they make one for the LS6??

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-12-2006, 07:25 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You should be able to use the LS1 install guide, the LS6 is virtually the same motor, just a heads, cam and intake upgrade. A LS1 computer can be used to control it if you have the computer reprogrammed. The LS1 and LS6 should have the same wiring diagrams/ pin outs. The pinouts are available here https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/312119-ls1-swap-faqs.html
The problem is when you try to use a 98 computer with a newer harness, they changed the pin outs, you can repin the harness but it may be easier to just sell your computer and get a 99+ computer.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G-Body
You should be able to use the LS1 install guide, the LS6 is virtually the same motor, just a heads, cam and intake upgrade. A LS1 computer can be used to control it if you have the computer reprogrammed. The LS1 and LS6 should have the same wiring diagrams/ pin outs. The pinouts are available here https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312119
The problem is when you try to use a 98 computer with a newer harness, they changed the pin outs, you can repin the harness but it may be easier to just sell your computer and get a 99+ computer.
That's the link I needed! Thanks!!

If I go with a newer computer, maybe an '02 to match the motor, can the program or settings be downloaded and used with the "new" computer? The engine runs fabulously with the '98, but not sure if it can do the emissions or cruise control functions. Hate to have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-13-2006, 11:17 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it already runs with the 98 computer then you don`t have to worry about it, because whoever had it before either used a 98 wiring harness too or they repinned the 2002 harness to work with the 98 computer. I think the 98 computer should be able to deal with the emissions stuff but I am not sure if it will work with the cruise.

Quick Reply: Wiring diagrams for LS1 and/or LS6?