Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between a 98 or up LS1 and regular 5.7

Old 02-25-2006, 02:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Difference between a 98 or up LS1 and regular 5.7

Hey guys, I am rebuilding a 65 El Camino and plan to put an LS1 engine into it. I have looked at a few junk yards up here and they are very hard to come by. My question is, what is the main difference between say a 98 LS1 and a regular 5.7 that may have come out of a truck or van from that year. I know the LS1 will be aluminum and the other block iron, but i was just wondering if the truck block form that year was just the older style block with vortec heads? Thanks guys i appreciate any feedback.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that the vans still used the older 5.7.

The ls1 and the traditional sbc you mentioned (w/ vortech) are very very different and will not have parts that will interchange. I don't know if someone makes a retrofit kit for your el camino, but others have put ls1's into their older cars. It would at the least involve motor mounts, trans crossbrace, fuel system, etc. It may be easier to just stick with the sbc if you are working on a budget. Check out the "hybrid section" of the forums too. good luck!
Old 02-25-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

LS1's and the vortec 5.7's that came in 98 trucks are completely different and don't have a single part that can interchange.

I don't know a whole lot about the truck 5.7's, but I believe that they are basically traditional SBC's, but with a different intake manifold and fuel injection.

The 5.3's & 6.0's that started showing up in the 1999 trucks have a lot in common with the LS1's, but still have an iron block.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

there is a el camino at the local performance shop with a forged LS1 stoked and supercharged...383+supercharger+el camino= BADFREAKIN ***

but the owner is freakin RICH and it has been at the shop for over a year...so your lookin at some time and money my friend
Old 02-25-2006, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys, i knew that parts wont interchange just wanted to make sure i was on the right page that it was still the orginal sbc style. I know it may be easier to stay sbc and not go ls1, but i am never one who does things the easy way haha. I appreciate all the helpful comments guys. I have saved up some money for this project now and you guys will probably be hearing from me more often now. Right now the car is completely apart and it is driving me nuts that i dont have something nice to drive haha so this projects gettin a jump start now.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SWEET! Welcome to the forum, best of luck with your swap. Go with the LS1. You wont regret it.
olly
Old 02-26-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by HeapaShifter
LS1's and the vortec 5.7's that came in 98 trucks are completely different and don't have a single part that can interchange.
Actually the rod bearings and the lifters are interchangeble.

Andrew
Old 02-28-2006, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Actually the rod bearings and the lifters are interchangeble.

Andrew
Haha took the words from my mouth!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Difference between a 98 or up LS1 and regular 5.7