Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wires, wires, wires! Gauges too.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wires, wires, wires! Gauges too.

Noobe building a 78 Malibu with a 99 LS1 from a T/A. The engine and transmission is in, fuel delivery sorted out, now its time to wire everything up. I've seen some of the threads on the harness and PCM but I feel a little overwhelmed on the subject. Anyone with a tip or words of caution please reply. I was also wondering if anyone has retrofitted the oem gauges into an earlier car, and what is neccessary to do so?
Old 07-19-2006, 11:41 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you read wiring diagrams? if you can it really is not that difficult. As far as tips make sure you solder and shrink wrap all your connections, and if you are going to put a connector in use a weatherpack or some other type of waterproof connector. You do not want to use butt splice crimp on connectors or the slide together spade terminals like you can find at the hardware store, they will corrode and cause you nothing but headaches later on. If you are unsure where a wire goes you can use a cheap VOM (volt ohm meter) to check for contininuity. You are best off buying a digital one since an analog one or a test light could allow enough current through to damage the computer if you have the battery hooked up and grab the wrong wire. A digital VOM has a high impediance and it is nearly impossible to screw anything up with it. You don`t have to buy the most expensive one either, I see ones that are just like mine sell for under $15, I paid 3.99 for mine at a discount tool store. I usually use the cheapie instead of grabbing my good meter .

Oh yeah and leave the computer disconnected and out of the car until you are done and have made all your connections, checked for loose wires, etc.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting closer!

I've done more research, especially in the FAQ and figured out all but seven conectors, the five closest to the ECM; a 10 pin grey connector, an 8 and 10 pin black connector, a single wire(purple) connector and a three wire connector(red/blk, grey, and purple). The other two connectors are the 10 pin blue and 10 pin white that go through the firewall. I imagine these two are for gauges, A/C cruise control etc. all of which I want to use. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm confident that I can read diagrams and have a source for weathertight connectors. I started the project 1 1/2 years ago and now it's time to get movin' and learn how to wire the thing up.

Last edited by LS1bu; 07-20-2006 at 12:45 AM.