Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Rod Mag 'Old-Schooling the LS1'

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 04:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Rod Mag 'Old-Schooling the LS1'

If you haven't read it, it's in the May 2006 Hot Rod. It's basically a 'how to' on running a carb on the LS1 (doing away with fuel injection), and how to fire the coils without a distributor and without the OEM computer. Seemed a good enough article and got good power, but I was left with a big question: In this configuration, can it still get the economy AND performance that it gets in an OEM installation? Thanks!
Old 04-01-2006, 08:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I still wish they would do a side by side comparison of the EFI and carb. Stock vs. stock. And modded vs. modded.
Sure it made good power, because they added a bunch of peformance stuff.
But I'll bet those same performance add-ons would net more power, and be more fuel efficient if the EFI was kept.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

I think the purpose of the article was to show you how to run a LSx without 200 miles of wire in your classic auto.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's nice that they got it work, but my big question is still: WHY?

To me the beauty of the LSx motors is they can make awesome power and still be very tractable on the street and get pretty good economy. And the totally flexible tuning capability with the computer leaves the old days of jet changes and timing curves in the dust.

As Warren Johnson said about Pro Stock drag racing rules, why are we still running carburetors? You can't even buy a weed whacker with a carburetor any more.

I guess to each their own, there must be a market for it or they would not be building them

Pat
Old 04-02-2006, 01:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AceHaag
I think the purpose of the article was to show you how to run a LSx without 200 miles of wire in your classic auto.

thats why.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh... now I get it.
It's for the rednecks that would rather spend a bunch of money because they think there are "200 miles of wire".
You're right, this looks sooo much better, and less complicated....
Old 04-02-2006, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jones'n
Oh... now I get it.
It's for the rednecks that would rather spend a bunch of money because they think there are "200 miles of wire".
You're right, this looks sooo much better, and less complicated....
I know right... they make harnesses for the LS1 to run fuel injected that are less obvious that that for sure.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some people are hard headed and refuse to accept EFI over what they're used to. They're perfectly capable of learning to use it, but instead they'd rather stick on their quadrajet and tune away.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I was going to go to all that trouble and expense, I would just build a smallblock! The electronics are what really make this such an attractive swap package in my opinion. These engines are truly plug-and-play these days. But, different strokes for different folks!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 04-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

I know it's a little off topic, but who makes that 45 degree inlet adapter for the water pump?
Old 04-02-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Street and Performance make the swivel adapter in several different angles.
They are about $100.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 04-02-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

High tech engine, low tech minds.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Some times you just have to face the cold hard facts.... but I'm not one to really talk because I went from EFI to a carb... now I'm going back to EFI... Its on an LS1 though, thats my excuse.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Personally, I wouldn't use a carb anymore. I am in my mid 40's, and I have done my share of adjusting and jetting and all manner of carb-crap.......if I were to go that route..I would get a Demon Carb..a friend put one in his 73 vette and has been trouble free for 2 years...AMAZING....
Old 04-02-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
It's nice that they got it work, but my big question is still: WHY?

To me the beauty of the LSx motors is they can make awesome power and still be very tractable on the street and get pretty good economy. And the totally flexible tuning capability with the computer leaves the old days of jet changes and timing curves in the dust.

As Warren Johnson said about Pro Stock drag racing rules, why are we still running carburetors? You can't even buy a weed whacker with a carburetor any more.

I guess to each their own, there must be a market for it or they would not be building them

Pat
some rules are in those classes to keep costs down. EFI = even more costs which some of the smaller teams just dont have.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
some rules are in those classes to keep costs down. EFI = even more costs which some of the smaller teams just dont have.
Now that I can understand...
Old 04-02-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
Somehow, in Pro Stock, keeping costs down doesn't seem to be much of an issue... Those guys seem to be willing to spend whatever it takes. I can see where it would be in a sportsman class though.

Pat
Old 04-03-2006, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Here's a reason some people don't want to run EFI- they don't want to drive 200 miles and spend a couple hundred bucks to have a computer flashed. Sometimes it's just easier and more practical to run the carb, I don't see why everyone has to rip on it so much. I will agree EFI is a better set up, but that doesn't mean its more practical or even a good option for some people. I live out here in this technologically challenged state called Iowa, so this **** hasn't really come as a big deal out here yet. People are still oohing and ahhing over a 350 bored .060 over, you think these guys would know that much about putting an engine that has a computer or sensor plugged into every nook and cranny into a car where the most expensive factory option was A/C? And besides that fact, if you are driving a muscle car and are worried about gas mileage that much, what the hell are you doing driving it anyway? These are play cars, so you obviously have the extra money to spend on a play car, but you're going to bitch about gas? I have to drive a V8 4x4 as a DD, doing commuter work because I don't have the money to have 3 different vehicles and I'm not complaining about my 12mpg.... if you are fed up with your gas milage get a honda and quit complaining....
The following users liked this post:
Nitroshark (12-10-2020)
Old 04-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

NEWS FLASH.....if you want to call me a redneck, or a low tech guy...go f*ck yourself! I was building hotrods when most of you guys where shittin' green! (for you high tech, non-redneck guys, that means when you where in diapers)SO for me it has nothing to do with wiring, or fear of computers, i work with them everyday, and mean everyday for the last 15 years. My set up is just that , my setup. I don't remeber beatting any of you guys up when you made your descision to cut up your daily drivers so don't rip the rest of us old timers cuz we aint doing what you think is the right way to build a hot rod!
The following users liked this post:
Nitroshark (12-10-2020)
Old 04-03-2006, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

Such love in this thread. To each their own. I'm 41 and started on carb cars, but once I bought a 85 TPI Z28 new I never looked back.

Quick Reply: Hot Rod Mag 'Old-Schooling the LS1'