Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 Vortec to 5 speed Trans

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6.0 Vortec to 5 speed Trans

I want to install a 2005 6.0 LQ4 Vortec in a '90 model GMC Sierra SLE 1500 that currently has a 350 Gen I with a factory 5 speed manual OD transmission. Can I use the earlier '90 flywheel, hydraulic clutch and transmission with this engine? I understand there is a flex plate adapter that is necessary if you want an earlier automatic with the newer flexplate but I can't seem to find any information on the swap I want to make. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lakewood sells a bellhousing that does just that.

safety bellhousing-gm
The stock cast aluminum bellhousing is adequate for OEM applications, but mounted behind a high horsepower - high RPM engine, the cast aluminum bellhousing could become deadly shrapnel in the event of a clutch/flywheel explosion. Hydroformed from premium quality steel plate to ensure uniform thickness throughout for superior strength. Stress relieved after forming results in a stronger, safer bellhousing. Mig-welded threaded inserts for transmission mounting bolts, clutch pivot ball and clutch linkage brackets where required. Precision machined to assure proper bolt hole and center bore alignment. Blanchard ground mounting surfaces for precise parallel alignment of engine and transmission. Dedicated applications assure a direct fit for all popular passenger cars. Approved by all major racing sanctioning bodies and meet SFI 6.1 specifications. Complete with safety block plate and grade 8 hardware. Fits Chevy, 1997-02 with 5.7L V-8 LS-1. Notes Designed for mechanical clutch linkage. Will not fit T-56 transmission. Transmission GM Muncie/Saginaw, and BW T-10. Bore Diameter 4.684. Depth w/ Block Plate 6.45. Fork opening 2.50 x 4.05.
Part Number: 15005
Old 05-17-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh, you'll need to find a way to put a pivot ball for the clutch linkage, I don't know what people are doing about that, but the LS1 has no threaded hole to accept one.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Teching In

The stock '90 model clutch is hydraulic and I wanted to keep that system. My main concern was the match up of the transmission to the back of the crankshaft. I believe the transmission input shaft is too short to properly align to the pilot bearing without some type of extension on the back of the crankshaft for the input shaft and pilot bearing to reside in.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:21 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don`t know if an earlier flywheel will bolt up. Hopefully this might help a little https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=pilot+bushing
Old 05-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Teching In

G-Body
Thanks for the great links. That is the type information I could not seem to find with the "search". I have the TKO600 with the factory flywheel, clutch and hydraulic master and slave system. The slave (mounted from the engine side pushing rearward) simply moves the fork and is not the hydraulic throwout bearing type.

If I am understanding everything correctly, my bellhousing and transmission system will bolt to the LQ4 6.0L and work correctly with the addition of the extended pilot bushing (GM #12557583 or McLeod # 8617), which is exactly what I need to do to make this swap as cheap and painless as possible.

It also sound like the LQ4 starter will correctly engage the teeth on the flywheel so please update me if this is not the case.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:25 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Which flywheel were you planning on using, I see a post that says you can use a standard SBC flywheel and one that says you need a special flywheel. I have no idea if one or both of these statements are true, I have an auto, never played with anything stick.

I have a 71 Camaro with an LS1 bolted up to a tremec t-56 that was originally set up to bolt to an first gen style 350. I used the LS1 version of the Lakewood scattershield, but the old-style scattershield will work as well - just drill the shield for the extra mounting hole on an LS1. Old style clutch and disk will bolt up to LS1 flywheel - that's what I've done, although you may have to slightly clearance the clutch mounting holes to fit the LS1 metric clutch bolts.
Ok guys here is another question. I talked to Mcleod which is not easy to get in touch with there tech guy and he said that I can use the standard BBC SBC scattershield and use the longer pilot bearing. He said that I would need to use one of there flywheels. I want to use the standerd clutch setup and linkages and was wondering if the LS1 had a place to mount the ball the goes into the block?
Old 05-20-2006, 07:02 PM
Teching In

I want to use the '90 TKO600 flywheel if possible.

I want to mate a LQ4 to a '90 GMC 1500 series drivetrain for the least cost and achieve the most results. I am not clear on why you couldn't just machine an adapter to adjust the distance between the new design and the older design parts except the ring gear on the flywheel probably would not align correctly with the LQ4 starter. It looks like worst case I might have to purchase a LQ/LS type flywheel and mount the older pressure plate and clutch disc to it.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Randy,
Have you made any progress with this?

I am pondering a TKO600 for my Supra as I can't find an R154 Supra Turbo trans & it is doubtful it will hold up to my power levels anyway. There is also the clutch issue that was never resolved. A T56 won't fit my tunnel, and I just found out yesterday a TKO series will courtesy of a "mate" in Australia on a Supra board that is running a TKO500 behind the Toyota 6.

I have a mid-80's GM truck bellhousing (possibly the same thing you have) that mounts a hydraulic slave cylinder, along with an LS1 flywheel & clutch setup (no throwout bearing yet, I'm waiting to finalize the tranny).

Keep us posted on your progress.

Quick Reply: 6.0 Vortec to 5 speed Trans