Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a simple step by step on Conversion of LS1

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a simple step by step on Conversion of LS1

I Have an 1998 LS1 with a 4 speed automatic that I am installing in my 55 two dr hrd top, I need to know how to get it running. I have pcm and stock wiring harness. ( WHAT IS THE EASIEST WAY TO GET IT RUNNING? Is thier a bypass chip for the sensours? and what about the fuel tank, high pressure lines gas peddal etc. I need to know it all.

Thanks

OT04192
CARNUT
Old 05-26-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first thing you need to do is read the Stickies and FAQs at the top of the page. There is just a ton of information there that will answer many of the questions you just asked. The next step is to do a search on this forum for 55, 56 and 57 Chevy. There are others who have done your swpa and you can benefit from their posts. Basically here are things you will need to do.

Harness and ECU (computer). Since you said easiest, Call Speartech (www.speartech.com). He is an absolute guru on these things and can either convert your harness or build a custom one for you. I chose the custom harness for my Studebaker to get everything the lenght I wanted and to make the harness as small as possible. It came out perfect! John will also repgrogram you ECU for you, removing the things you don't need and customizing the other settings to your application.

For your fuel tank, you can either install an in tank pump (my recommendation) or use an inline pump. Then you will need a pressure regulator, most people are using a 99+ Corvette unit (Check the FAQ).

Gas pedal, you can adapt the exisiting throttle cable or convert to the electric throttle used on Corvettes. Speartech can give you info on that.

Street and performance (www.hotrodlane.cc) has lots of useful brackets and headers, but they are pretty spendy.

If you want, follow the link in my signature to see how I put an LS1 into my 50's vintage car. Might give you some ideas, I know I got a lot of ideas from looking at other folks projects here at LS1Tech.

Good luck

Pat
Old 05-26-2006, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

I Have an 1998 LS1 with a 4 speed automatic that I am installing in my 55 two dr hrd top
Wise choice. Are the engine & trans installed yet or are you at the planning stage only? I am currently installing an LS7 in my '57 hardtop so maybe I can help if I know where you are in your project.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Thanks for your reply. I just bought the engine and have not picked it up yet just trying to plan ahead. I am getting a 1998 lS1 with a 4speed Automatic. I am Getting Water pump, alternator, power steering pump, motor mounts, A/C compressor, complete EGR system, starter, engine wiring harness, LS1 intake, exhaust manifolds, MAF, throttle body and PCM. I am aperfectionist and sort of wanted to see how someone else did thier conversion to get ideas on how to go about it. What works and most importantly what doesn't any sugestion would be helpful although I must admit I know very little about the LS1 at this point.

What is the best way to mount the Swap in the car?
Will it fit without cutting anything?
What do I need to know about the electronics?
What about the fuel system?
Do I need the stock gas pedal?
Thanks
Kevin Smith
Old 05-28-2006, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Some quick responses to a couple of your questions. First, I would suggest that you contact Street & Performance (479-394-5711) and request one of their catelogs and CD's about Tri-five/LS engine swaps. Good ideas & information, even if you don't purchase their products.
What is the best way to mount the Swap in the car?
Side mount engine and rear mount transmission.
Will it fit without cutting anything?
You will have to modify the oil pan and, depending upon which engine mounts you use, you might have to reshape the firewall. This would be an excellent time to smooth it if you want to.

Send me a PM if you want more details.