Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Chevelle guys running hydroboost?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any Chevelle guys running hydroboost?

I picked up a hydroboost from a '94 GMC Safari today at the junkyard. Has anyone else here installed a hrdyoboost system new or retrofit?

Looks like it will all bolt right up and I will just need to get some new PS lines made. I was thinking about going manual brakes, but after this score I will be keeping my power brakes. I will post some pics in a few, I am cleaning it up right now.

I think this will make a great improvement in my braking power and reduce effort.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd like to check out your installation of this !.. keep us posted
Old 06-17-2006, 01:04 PM
11 Second Club

Got some pics. Just cleaned it up a little. I think I can just mount my power brake master on it.

The hydratech unit is mount the oposite way w/ the gold cylinder on top and the lines out the bottom. I don't know if I can just turn this around.

It had the distribution valve on it so I pulled it as one. After hearing about the hooker headers and possibly having to move it it on the frame I now have the option to mount it close to the master.

I will keep you all posted, but have been really busy.

Oh yeah and it was only $10.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yeah and it was only $10.[/QUOTE]

I put a 2003 ( I think) Mustang Cobra unit and paid way much than that.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great grab. I'm sure a few of us would like to know the vehicle you got it from .
edit: i'm dumb and somehow started reading on the second post, totally overlooking the first sentence. whoops.
olly
Old 06-19-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did my own DIY hydroboost aswell. If your running a SBC or BBC style powersteering pump you are supposed to flip the hydrobooster so the nitrogen cylinder is on top. This is to improve the braking power due to less line pressure from the powersteering pump. If your running a truck acces., grab the powersteering pump from a hydroboost truck and run it. This way you do not have to flip.

Oh yea,.... to flip. Just unbolt the Mastercylinder and bolt it right side up.

-Matt
Old 06-19-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sho...ght=hydroboost

Theres my build up. Lots of the pics are now not showing but if you need any for reference let me know!

Oh yea, the stock lines amazing worked. Only 1 needed to be bent. I'm going to re-do them later just to hide them more but it looks factory

-Matt
Old 06-20-2006, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the post. I'm sure that will help out a lot. Do you have any of the specs still for turning down the pushrod and threading it?

Do you also have to modify the pushrod comming out the MC side of the unit? I think that will be my biggest problem. I'm going to pick up a Grand Cherokee steering box this weekend to install as well.

Are you running 4 wheel discs? What is the bore of your master cylinder? How helpful was Paul even though you didn't buy the unit from him?

What were the pics at the bottom of this post?
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sho...0&postcount=11

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-20-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike, I have one of Pauls hydra boost set ups, if you want to look at it just come over or PM me and I'll tell you when I'll be home,
Old 06-20-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Forgive me for being ignorant, but I am reading up on a chevelle swap...

What is hydroboost?
Old 06-20-2006, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

Hydroboost is for power assited brakes. You replace the vacuum booster w/ the hydroboost unit which runs off of the power steering pump. This way you can run a huge cam, supercharger, or turbos w/o having the brake problems associated w/ no engine vacuum and have increased clamping force.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

So rather than a vacuum 'pulling' the brakes for you, you have power steering fluid 'pushing' the brakes for you?

BTW- Im supposed to look at a "show" chevelle this weekend, and have big plans for it
Old 06-20-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Payne
So rather than a vacuum 'pulling' the brakes for you, you have power steering fluid 'pushing' the brakes for you?

BTW- Im supposed to look at a "show" chevelle this weekend, and have big plans for it
now techniclly, on a "normal" brake booster, you have atmospheric pressure 'pushing' the brakes on... so they're both pushing...

and the hydroboost does store some pressure in that "can" on the side... just like the conventional brake booster stores some vacuum... so even if the engine dies, belt comes off, ect... you still have some power assist to stop.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stealth71
Thanks for the post. I'm sure that will help out a lot. Do you have any of the specs still for turning down the pushrod and threading it?

Do you also have to modify the pushrod comming out the MC side of the unit? I think that will be my biggest problem. I'm going to pick up a Grand Cherokee steering box this weekend to install as well.

Are you running 4 wheel discs? What is the bore of your master cylinder? How helpful was Paul even though you didn't buy the unit from him?

Thanks,
Mike
Paul told me to run a 87 Vette Mastercylinder. 4 wheel BAER disk brakes on the car... Paul couldn't be any nicer. He even called me but I missed the call! Because you have the stock MS.... You do not have to modify the pushrod. However if you change mastercylinders you will have to. I do not have time to explain it but I will later on.

Off to work I go!

-Matt
Old 06-21-2006, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Question for you guys...

My 96 Cobra still has the HydroBoost braking system on the car. I planned on using the LS1 power steering pump to power the Cobra braking system. Think the LS1 PS pump will provide enough pressure to run the system, and what lines from the LS1 PS pump are the pressure and return lines?

TIA
Old 06-21-2006, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mystic96
Question for you guys...

My 96 Cobra still has the HydroBoost braking system on the car. I planned on using the LS1 power steering pump to power the Cobra braking system. Think the LS1 PS pump will provide enough pressure to run the system, and what lines from the LS1 PS pump are the pressure and return lines?

TIA
I have Cobra unit in my and i dont see it as a problem. I remember some other guys running the same hydrobooster and it is ok
Old 06-22-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stealth71

Thanks,
Mike
Mike,

The push rod turned out nicely. It was the proper size to run a die over it. I can't remember exactly what it was, but thats easy enough to find out but checking the size of thread in your clevis.

That Cherokee PS box.... Let me know if theres another one available. I'm all over it if there is one so please let me know!

As far as the pics... I'll have to check and get back to you. I think they were just reference pics. I drew up my own mounting plate in auto cad and had it cut out.

-Matt

Quick Reply: Any Chevelle guys running hydroboost?