Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Several Questions... almost done with conversion

Old 07-11-2006, 02:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Several Questions... almost done with conversion

Well I've been working off and on puttin my LS1 into my 2000 Wrangler for a couple months and I'm about ready to wrap it up. I have a few questions now that I'm pretty close to the end here.

1.) Vacuum - There are two connections on the engine that I'm not 100% sure what's what. The maybe 1/4" nipple that sticks out next to the main air intake, and on the driver's side there's a plastic "wavey" 1/4" connection that runs along next to the head. if I had to guess I'd say the one next to the intake is the place I'm going to dump my fuel canister, and the long line next to the head is the vacuum connection. I need to figure both of those out, but I can't figure out how I'm going to connect to whatever that wavey line is along the head. It has a connecter that I've never seen before. Maybe it's a Chevy thing. If nobody knows what I'm talking about, then I can take pix. It just looked like there aren't but two things on the engine... one in front, and one on the side running toward the back of the engine. What's what?

2.) Power Steering Hoses - I don't really want to spend $300 on a set of power steering hoses, so I'm looking for ideas on how to get some made cheap.

3.) Coolant Hoses - Is there a better way to get hoses then to just go into the local auto parts store with a coathanger bent like I want and just start looking?

4.) A/C - I figure I'm going to have to pay a shop to custom bend all my A/C hoses and stuff. Is there a cheaper way to do that? Also, I don't know much about A/C, but there was a two wire sensor on one of the lines, and another one on the canister. What are those for? should I hook those back up with the new system once it's made?

5.) Fuel Lines - I don't know if this is something that the local autoparts store would carry or not, but I kinda thought they would have to be custom made. I'm going from one size smaller fuel line to the fuel rail. Is there a such thing as an adapter, and if not where do I get something like that custom made?

6.) Wiring - I bought a speartech harness and I'm very pleased with it. I do have a couple of questions though. Can the ETC module go under the hood? The wire isn't long enough to be mounted inside so I assume so. It just doen't look waterproof. Also, How is the computer supposed to mount? There aren't any holes to go through. I guess I've been assuming that the chevy computer can be mounted under the hood since that's where my jeep's computer is. Hoping that's right, cause that's all the room I have for it to go to.

Thanks... I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm hoping you guys can help me. I'm almost there!

Mike
Old 07-11-2006, 07:57 AM
Teching In

don't know about vacuum but, ps hoses --use the ends that you have? or get the correct ends mock it up with fuel line to get length ect then have it made at any hyd line shop ( I use napa ) just don't tell them it's for power steering, the lawyers don't like that... while your there they have books with pix of all kinds of ac fittings & can build just about any ac line you want...
I seem to recall fuel line answers in the posts at the top of the page, lots of good info up there...
good luck!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2006, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

napa can build ac lines also
Old 07-13-2006, 10:54 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1. I think I know what your talking about but I`m not completely sure since I don`t have a lot of hands on experience with f-body LS1`s.

2. Napa is probably the easiest solution, just cut the steering box end off the LS1 hose and then attach the steering box end from the jeep hose to the LS1 hose as a mockup. Take it to NAPA and have them put in a new piece of hose and crimp the ends on.

3. Unless you can find someone who has already done the same conversion and get the part numbers from them ...... its coat hanger time.

4. NAPA. As far as the sensors what line is the second sensor on? What AC system are you using? You probably need the on on the tank but I`m not sure about the other.

5. You could try using brass compression fittings, or double flare it and use brake line fittings.

6. Speartech to the rescue? I have no idea on the ETC module but I am sure speartech does. The computer is waterproof and can be mounted under the hood. There are different brackets to do this, I used a tahoe bracket, try doing a search and you should find pics of a few different styles, so that you can figure out which one works best for you.

You using a speartch harness or spintech? Your sig says spintech
Old 07-13-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike.. my two cents.. hope it help you...

1) Sounds like your talking about the Purge valve.. If the port that come off of the T/B Driver side. .it is the Purge valve setup. It is connected by a tube to the purge valve on the top/front of the driver side head and controlled by a two wire connector/Solenoid, it is then connected to the Gas tank/hoses.

You can connect it directly to the hose that comes from the Fuel tank. Or your can use it as vacum to the Charcoal Cannister... not sure if you need a PCV Valve inline or not.. as many of the older cars with Charcoal Can were connected to a PCV valve off of the carb or manifold (?). It many be safe to add one if you do this route.

2) as stated above or go the whole nine yards of AN fittings and SS hoses, I am about to the AN / SS hoses.. I think i came to about $100 in parts, adapters, elbow and SS hoses. But that will vary on you setup and routing. I posted in another thread, https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...9&page=2&pp=20

3) yup.. that is what I have been doing.. trial and error..took me three trips for the lower one.. and now doing the upper.

4) A/C.. the one of them is a High Pressure switch that inputs the PCM (on the line ?), not sure about the one on the Cannister(dryer?). I have a shop locally that will build or modify my lines once I come to that point. I am running my original system with the exception of the compressor.. just wiring the clutch connector to the old wires. I guess I will find out how well this works later.

5) too many adapter and fittings to list on too many way to doing a fuel system/lines..Almost anything that will handle the High pressure (I would say at lease 100psi to be safe ?) will work, as the LS1 requires 58-65psi to operate normally.

6) PCM mount..any model mount will do that can be modified your your location of the PCM. Goto your local GM dealer and order a mount.. I think I paid $13.00 for the 99 Camaro plastic mount. Or the junk yards..
I am mounting the PCM inside on top of the Trans Tunnel under the dash. just drilled a hole with rubber gromlet right behind the engine. Harness long enough for that. Iwould have put it on the passenger fender well.. but the A/C unit used all of that space up.

Have fun !
Old 07-13-2006, 10:48 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bczee
4) A/C.. the one of them is a High Pressure switch that inputs the PCM (on the line ?), not sure about the one on the Cannister(dryer?).
Yep the high pressure switch will be on the line and the switch on the accumulator (cannister, dryer, tank, its all the same) is a low pressure switch. Most of the older GM`s do not have a high pressure switch, just a low pressure switch, also called a cycling switch.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I've been working off and on puttin my LS1 into my 2000 Wrangler for a couple months and I'm about ready to wrap it up. I have a few questions now that I'm pretty close to the end here.

1.) Vacuum - There are two connections on the engine that I'm not 100% sure what's what. The maybe 1/4" nipple that sticks out next to the main air intake, and on the driver's side there's a plastic "wavey" 1/4" connection that runs along next to the head. if I had to guess I'd say the one next to the intake is the place I'm going to dump my fuel canister, and the long line next to the head is the vacuum connection. I need to figure both of those out, but I can't figure out how I'm going to connect to whatever that wavey line is along the head. It has a connecter that I've never seen before. Maybe it's a Chevy thing. If nobody knows what I'm talking about, then I can take pix. It just looked like there aren't but two things on the engine... one in front, and one on the side running toward the back of the engine. What's what?

Others have answered this question.

2.) Power Steering Hoses - I don't really want to spend $300 on a set of power steering hoses, so I'm looking for ideas on how to get some made cheap.

For GM power steering hoses connected right up my steering box but since your isn't GM then you will have to get a hose made. The return hose back to the reservor isn't high pressure so you could use high pressure fuel line to connect between using your old metal line on your steering box.

3.) Coolant Hoses - Is there a better way to get hoses then to just go into the local auto parts store with a coathanger bent like I want and just start looking?

Many parts stores have books with pictures of the hoses so you could find the bends and length you need and go pick out a few to try.

4.) A/C - I figure I'm going to have to pay a shop to custom bend all my A/C hoses and stuff. Is there a cheaper way to do that? Also, I don't know much about A/C, but there was a two wire sensor on one of the lines, and another one on the canister. What are those for? should I hook those back up with the new system once it's made?

I just had a shop custom make a set of hoses for my settup, vaccuum it out including a new dryer for a little over $300. I think for A/C it is just sometimes worth the money to have it done right instead of trying to run around all over the world trying to piece it all together. Some things are worth letting professionals just do it.

5.) Fuel Lines - I don't know if this is something that the local autoparts store would carry or not, but I kinda thought they would have to be custom made. I'm going from one size smaller fuel line to the fuel rail. Is there a such thing as an adapter, and if not where do I get something like that custom made?

I hope your car side fuel line is at least 3/8" to feed that LS1. I used AN fittings to my metal lines and purchased the fuel rail connector with a Stainless Steel flex hose with all the proper fittings. A little pricey but I didn't want to compromise on the fuel lines. I purchased a kit from a Arizona company that I can't seem to find their name right this moment.

6.) Wiring - I bought a speartech harness and I'm very pleased with it. I do have a couple of questions though. Can the ETC module go under the hood? The wire isn't long enough to be mounted inside so I assume so. It just doen't look waterproof. Also, How is the computer supposed to mount? There aren't any holes to go through. I guess I've been assuming that the chevy computer can be mounted under the hood since that's where my jeep's computer is. Hoping that's right, cause that's all the room I have for it to go to.

I used a SpearTech harness and it made life simple. I wouldn't put the TAC (Throttle Actuator Control) box in the engine compartment as it should be inside under the dash ideally. I was able to stuff mine behind the glove box under the dash out of site. It isn't weather proof and plastic. The PCM is weather proof and can be in the engine compartment in a good place away from heat and fluids. I had SpearTech make my engine harness extra long to my measurements to locate the PCM on my passenger kick panel where my old stock computer was located. Even though it is weather proof I thought this would clean up my engine compartment and make it look more stock.

Thanks... I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm hoping you guys can help me. I'm almost there!

Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Several Questions... almost done with conversion