Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running an inline fuel pump??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone running an inline fuel pump??

I want to swap my pump out to an Inline pump. i will be buying a new fuel cell to replace my old one and i want to run an inline instead. anyone have any recomendations on where to get a decent pump that is sufficient enough?
Old 07-13-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'm running walbro 255 gph inline pump. bought it for something like $120.

I fried the first one when I starved it. 2nd one is doing OK.

What fuel cell are you buying?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

Hows the longevity on the Walbro inline pumps? I'm thinking that Im going to go with an inline pump and a sump in my conversion... but I dont want to be swapping out dead pumps either.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

I trashed my first Walbro pump by starving it (dirty aluminum tank clogged filter)

I fitted a Delco boost pump to a one liter reservoir and used that to feed the Walbro. It has been good ever since.

The Walbro's work well
Old 07-14-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1Sandrail
I trashed my first Walbro pump by starving it (dirty aluminum tank clogged filter)

I fitted a Delco boost pump to a one liter reservoir and used that to feed the Walbro. It has been good ever since.

The Walbro's work well
That's the reason I asked what type of tank he was buying... I bought an RCI tank, and was lucky to open the neck up before I put fuel in. It had a lot of aluminum shavings in it.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:19 PM
12 Second Club

i have a spot made specifically for a certain size tank, i already have a cell and i figured id buy the same thing 25x17x9 i figured id buy a "plastic" drag cell. so why are your guys pumps dying? not gravity fed before it pulls it in and burns them out?

where are you guys getting these pumps?
Old 07-15-2006, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Default Inline pump stock application

I just completed my swap and am using a Master brand part number L2000.
Cost about 79.00 from Advance Auto Parts. It is a stock application for several Ford products in the late 1980s and early 1990s with a 5.0 FI.

So far it seems to be doing fine with no starvation I have found yet.

By using this pump, if I am "on the road" ala Power Tour or any run far from home, I can buy a replacement at most any decent parts store and just bolt her in. I am using 3/8 hard lines with FI rubber hose and FI clamps. Make SURE you get the SAE 9 and not SAE 7 (for low pressure injection like throttle body)

All of this is hooked to my stock 1958 Chevrolet passenger fuel tank.

I modified a new tank pickup and added a nipple for the return line into the pickup flange and added a small loop of hose on the end so as not to aerate the fuel. Also, added a prefilter of the old glass and nylon element BEFORE the pump and a conventional high pressure filter after the pump.

Pump is not very loud as some warned it would be. (It's not as loud as Blazers I have had in the past)
Old 07-15-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TPIMarow6.6
i have a spot made specifically for a certain size tank, i already have a cell and i figured id buy the same thing 25x17x9 i figured id buy a "plastic" drag cell. so why are your guys pumps dying? not gravity fed before it pulls it in and burns them out?

where are you guys getting these pumps?
Mine was drying because my initial tank design was not meant for a return line. It was a saddle tank, and fuel was being returned to one side only, so if the fuel went low enough, it would start sucking some air (because it would suck on side dry).

with my current RCI rectangular tank, I'm worried about anything less than half tank under fast cornering, so I've been keeping the tank full.

I bought the foam to put in the tank to help with that, but that won't work, because it will prevent my gauge pickup from working. I need to switch my fuel sender to a tube type first.

So many things to do, so little time.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

So is going with a fuel cell not a good idea? i dont want to starve my fuel pump but i want a good setup.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by indiana warmrod
I modified a new tank pickup and added a nipple for the return line into the pickup flange and added a small loop of hose on the end so as not to aerate the fuel. Also, added a prefilter of the old glass and nylon element BEFORE the pump and a conventional high pressure filter after the pump.
How long have you been driving this? Have you been in a lot of heat yet, and no problem with vapor lock?

If I undestand what you said, you are effectively doing dual fuel lines. One from the original gas outlet to feed, one back into the modified nipple.

S&P highly recommend two lines, and with the pump in the tank. So, I'm trying to decide whether to spend th $ on a new tank with internal pump. Not cheap.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cant hear my inline 255. On second thought, i've got open headers.. lol. it's just a little shudder, not very loud.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Default Inline pump

Roger:

As yet, no problems. Has been around 95 here and no vaporlock or anything like that. The cost going this way has been MUCH lower than the S&P recommended stuff.

I used Speartech for my harness and reprogram. Motor is a 6.0 LQ9.
I passed all the info to Speartech and they suggested the return line system.
(Stock on the motor is no return) I got a whole intake with injectors and the return rails from a boneyard for 50 bucks.

In the long run I think this setup will be much cheaper to maintain. The Vette filter/regulators could get expensive if you have a few of them clog. Also having replaced several GM and other intank pumps, I like that I can change out a pump in about 15-20 min.

Good luck on your swap and check out the Speartech stuff. Not much less than S&P, but great info and support.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info, Indiana Warmrod. I'll check out Spearteck.

I could always put in the more expensive route later if I find problems with this.

I remember seeing somewhere (haven't found it again recently) a pump you can buy with teh dual lines, etc, that you can use to modify your tank. I might check that out if I can find it.

Can you describe in a little more detail you you 'added the nipple for the return line into the pickup flange and added a small loop of hose on the end so as not to aerate the fuel." Did you just drill a hole in the tank, solder a mounting piece on for the nipple?
Old 07-16-2006, 10:06 PM
12 Second Club

im glad you guys are getting your problems resolved...yet im still stuck with my issue.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:51 PM
Conversion master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Walbro GSL392 which is the 255lph inline pump. Have had no starvation issues even with the tank pretty low and it is still running strong after 4 years. I got it for about $100.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TPIMarow6.6
So is going with a fuel cell not a good idea? i dont want to starve my fuel pump but i want a good setup.
sorry, didn't see your post. there is nothing wrong with going with a fuel cell...
in my application, the cell happens to be very wide (width of the car), and narrow (9" wide). My car can see 1.8 g's around corners in autocrosses, so without any baffles, i have an issue when fuel level is low. So in my case, I just have to add either the foam blocks, or some other baffle to restrict the fuel movement somewhat.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:45 AM
12 Second Club

ahh i see, i dont do any autox so i think ill be fine then. where are you guys buying your fuel pumps?
Old 07-17-2006, 07:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

I found an ebay outfit out of PA - tried to find their number for you, but no luck. There are several in the $119 range.

I do autox my car regularly, even without the baffles or foam. I just make sure the tank is 3/4 full. I bought the foam to put in the tank, but my gauge sender is the traditional type with a lever arm. I have to switch to the type that's a long tube, so the foam wouldn't interfere with its operation.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

i use a carter fuel pump from your local napa store, it is very quiet.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by indiana warmrod
I just completed my swap and am using a Master brand part number L2000.
Cost about 79.00 from Advance Auto Parts. It is a stock application for several Ford products in the late 1980s and early 1990s with a 5.0 FI.

So far it seems to be doing fine with no starvation I have found yet.

By using this pump, if I am "on the road" ala Power Tour or any run far from home, I can buy a replacement at most any decent parts store and just bolt her in. I am using 3/8 hard lines with FI rubber hose and FI clamps. Make SURE you get the SAE 9 and not SAE 7 (for low pressure injection like throttle body)

All of this is hooked to my stock 1958 Chevrolet passenger fuel tank.

Pump is not very loud as some warned it would be. (It's not as loud as Blazers I have had in the past)
This sounds like a great alternative, especially, as you mention, available anywhere. Does that Master pump put out enough fuel pressure? Do you know what it is rated at? Do you have a photo?

Thanks,
Andy1

Quick Reply: Anyone running an inline fuel pump??