Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 heater hoses to 3rd gen heater core...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS1 heater hoses to 3rd gen heater core...

Hey everyone. I need to figure out what to do about the heater hoses on my car. The car is an 87 Trans AM. The motor is 99 Ls1. The LS1 heater hoses were a rubber metal combination. I think it had the 5/8 outlet on the pump go to the 3/4 fitting on the heater core. And I think the 3/4 outlet on the water pump went to the 5/8 fitting on the heater core. Thats by looking at the hose diameters. Is this corect?? If so..should I hook it up the same way to my thirdgen heater core???

I guess basically what I need to know is which nipple on the pump is outlet.. 5/8 or 3/4. And which nipple on the heater core is the inlet.. Im afraid to pump water in the wrong way and screw my heater core up somehow or cause an overheating problem. Anyone have any insight into this??

Justin
Old 08-31-2006, 04:32 PM
Conversion master

The larger is the outlet on the pump.

It shouldn't matter which way you pump through the heater core. Mine (70 corvette) just looks like a mini radiator with a fitting on each side. I connected large to large.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Yup, it doesn't matter which way unless you have one of those heater valves.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool guys...thanks. I might be using the 4th gen hoses... I found a way to nicely re-bend those hard lines and reuse the mounting brackets. The reason for me wanting to use the hard lines is you can easily make 90* bends and not kink. Makes hiding them easier. We'll see how it works. Worse comes to worse Ill just use hose.

LS1-IROC: Man this is off topic but I gotta say... Im usualy a bird guy, not into the 3rd gen camaros. But that is one sweet car you have. Absolutely gorgeous! Im convinced that the only thing better than a black thirdgen trans am...is a white iroc with paited buckets and polished wheels. Do you have plans to replace that engine at all?? Your screen name suggests you might be putting in a different power plant...

thanks again guys!

Justin

Edit...I just saw another post of yours looking for and LS1... that car is going to be friggin awsome!

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 09-01-2006 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Cool guys...thanks. I might be using the 4th gen hoses... I found a way to nicely re-bend those hard lines and reuse the mounting brackets. The reason for me wanting to use the hard lines is you can easily make 90* bends and not kink. Makes hiding them easier. We'll see how it works. Worse comes to worse Ill just use hose.

LS1-IROC: Man this is off topic but I gotta say... Im usualy a bird guy, not into the 3rd gen camaros. But that is one sweet car you have. Absolutely gorgeous! Im convinced that the only thing better than a black thirdgen trans am...is a white iroc with paited buckets and polished wheels. Do you have plans to replace that engine at all?? Your screen name suggests you might be putting in a different power plant...

thanks again guys!

Justin

Edit...I just saw another post of yours looking for and LS1... that car is going to be friggin awsome!

Thanks man! Yup, I am in the process of getting ready for the LS1 swap. I had a cam go bad in my old motor a few weeks ago (lost 4 lobes) so I am starting my swap a little early
Old 09-02-2006, 11:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to change topics here also but, that's a nice Iroc! Brings back memories of mine. I always liked white the best. I would love to see pix when you do the LS swap.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SilverBullet73
Not to change topics here also but, that's a nice Iroc! Brings back memories of mine. I always liked white the best. I would love to see pix when you do the LS swap.
Thanks! I'll be taking lots of pics!!
Old 09-03-2006, 08:16 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

i already told him his car was nice. he is gonna have a big head now.

Quick Reply: LS1 heater hoses to 3rd gen heater core...