Sponsored by:

camaro subframe assistance

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default camaro subframe assistance

Guys,

I have looked everywhere I know for the following information. Thanks in advance for your help...

I have a customized 1959 chevrolet apache truck that I would like to put an LS1 in. In the past on these trucks, people simply cut off the old front suspension and then welded a 1970-ish camaro/firebird front suspension on it. Then they had disc brakes and small block chevrolet mounts. I would like to do the same, except with a modern camaro/firebird front subframe. That way I could have the disc brakes, power steering, and LS1 mounts. Does anyone know anything about a conversion like this? Here are a few questions I have. Anyone with one of these cars can answer them pretty easily.

1. I have the dimensions of the engine with motor mount locations. Where relative to the centerline of the motor mount is the centerline of the wheel? If the engine is too far back, I might have to rethink this approach.

2. How high from level ground is the stock subframe on a LS1 camaro/firebird (with factory wheel/tire sizes)?

Any input on my project is also appreciated. Thanks again...
Old 10-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that you may have some issues with the later front clip, the 70's camaro/Volare/nova clips were almost the same width as the 55-59 clip. You can still use the 70's disc brakes or get a aftermarket brake setup.

Look at what I'm doing with my 55 Apache.
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...Chevy%20Truck/
Old 10-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Teching In

What fuel tank did you find that fits in between the factory frame rails like that? I am doing the same setup with my 1958 Apache....I'd like to know for sure what tank that is. Also, where is the filler neck? Thanks in advance....
Old 10-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Teching In

You can get a 65-68 mustang tank. I have one but since I'm going to EFI I will just pay the cost for a Rock Valley tank.

Quick Reply: camaro subframe assistance