Sponsored by:

New here doing a ls1 240sx race car

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here doing a ls1 240sx race car

Hi guys,
thought I would finally post after lurking for a long while.

I have a dedicated road race s13 240sx, that has had a turbo charged 2.4l Sohc motor up until now. The maintainance and reliablity has been a nightmare on it at high boost levels. So I decided last year to swap in a LS1 for reliability reasons. It should be a little slower than the turbo setup however dead reliable.

here are a few pics...so far of what is going on...

here is my motor from the engine builders...it has been rebuilt, and has an upgraded oil pump..everything else is stock..

pic of the engine that is being swapped in

the only mods really that really need to be done are a slight notch in the front crossmember, it has been reinforced inside with square tubing, and reboxed with 1/8 plate steel.

here is the old motor..sniff sniff out..it was a crazy build 2.4 litre sohc motor, with everything done to it possible...it ran 22psi boost on 116 gas , providing 430rwp and 460ftlbs torque.. it was a monster on the track...however it tended to melt everything on the car..and catch fire.

I am using a hinson kit to mount the motor, GTO oil pan to clear the crossmembers, and a speartech harness and ECU. Will also have oil cooler and will be using my custom "be cool" turbo rad that i was using on my turbo motor. Other than that the rest of the car is staying the same. Tranny is a stock t-56..and a ls7 clutch...

here is a pic of the car in a lapping session..

I do have a few questions...

1=how do you get around the Ls1's returnless fuel rails? should I just get the Napa #3737 fuel filter/return diverter that was used on the vettes? what did the rest of you do? I am running a ATL fuel cell and aeromotive inline pump system so I cant go to a intank system. any hints?

other than that I am waiting for a few parts and then the engine goes in.. will keep you updated.

Adam
Old 12-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Looks like it will be a sweet setup! As far as the fuel system goes, you can go with the vette fuel filter setup if your fuel pump already puts out the desired fuel pressure, if not you will need an adjustable return style regulator to keep it in the 55-60psi range. If you need to do this and want to stick with Aeromotive parts, I am using Aeromotive part #13109 and am very happy with it.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

just use the original lines to the filter. just grab some quick disconnect fittings from napa "dorman" brand and slap them on the filter and then add lines accordingly.

its covered in this thread ---> https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....9&postcount=18
Old 12-20-2006, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Dude that LS1 with a cam, headers, intake and proper tuning should surpass that KA24ET you had in there without a doubt. Keep us posted. What class are you running in anyway or are you just doing time attack with it.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Looks like an awesome car! I am getting ready to remove my SR20DET in favor of the LS1/6spd. How do you like the Hinson's mounting kit? I've heard alot of negatives on different forums about Hinson's.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

The picture of the car on 3 wheels is awesome. I really like the SR20DET swap in the 240SX, but these LS swaps are awesome too. It's an example of a car that was OK with the original motor (I'm being very generous here) that becomes great with a swap.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Teching In

the car is a solo 1 (solo sprint car), but conforms to GT racing specs..

he he car is actually on 2 wheels

Re: hinson kit... will advise when I bolt on all the spacers and see if the driveshaft fits properly..

BTW : speartech is awesome... very nice harness, very clean, and direct plug and play..
Old 12-20-2006, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

Hey man, I recognized the name immediately from way back in the day ('97) on the Amarok mailing list I think. I'm going the LS1 route as well on my S14. Good luck!
Old 12-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Teching In

yeah that list was a while ago

been racing s13's for a while now
Old 12-20-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

I think you'll like the LS1. Power all across the powerband and it can be made on 91 octane. With the price of 116 octane you will be saving money every race weekend.

I assume you upgraded the rod bolts? If not.. don't install it without either ARP or Katech rod bolts. With a simple cam upgrade, headers, and ported TB, LS6 intake, and tuning you should be able to see 400rwhp with stock stock longblock (ie unported heads).

Good luck... looks like a fun car.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:12 PM
Teching In

so finally got the clutch flywheel and tranny alltogether, and was able to test fit the LS1 into the engine bay... cant seem to get the engine to fit...tranny keeps hitting...

using the hinson kit with the lowering spacers..and corvette mounts with the hinson mount adapter....

anyone know when using the hinson kit if you have to beat the tranny tunnel a bit? it was supposed to be a direct drop in? any clues or pics of the correct orientation of the corvette mounts and the hinson mounts? there are alot of possibilities ..and moving the engin ein and out is a pain to try them all...

Old 01-22-2007, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Install it one time, mark where anything needs to be cut and wherever the tunnel needs to be banged.

I have taken my engine out about 10 times now pinpointing oil leaks, and getting the new one in.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Launching!

You dont happen to live in Minnesota?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ADAM HUTCHINSON
anyone know when using the hinson kit if you have to beat the tranny tunnel a bit? it was supposed to be a direct drop in?

nice car, hope you have better luck with hinson's junk than others here have. he advertises a lot of stuff as "bolt in" and i don't think he actually sells anything that actually is as quoted.

as for the car being "slower", it'll make less overall power but i'd be willing to bet it'll suprise you how usable the torque delivery is with this setup. i haven't done any roadracing yet with my car, but on anything other than the biggest roadcourses i'd be willing to bet the LS1 will give you far more usable power than the boosted KA-E.

Last edited by icantdrift; 01-22-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:53 AM
On The Tree

Do you have a link or info on speartech?
Old 02-04-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.speartech.com/
Old 02-04-2007, 12:35 PM
10 Second Club

im just using a F body tank and pump so i only have to run a single line to the intake.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

anyone know when using the hinson kit if you have to beat the tranny tunnel a bit? it was supposed to be a direct drop in? any clues or pics of the correct orientation of the corvette mounts and the hinson mounts? there are alot of possibilities ..and moving the engin ein and out is a pain to try them all...
haha. good luck, you're going to need it.

basically it makes a flat plane on top of the subframe you then mount hte corvette mount to........uhmm, yah no comment. making my own mounts for next season ftw.

you should take some pictures of all the peices of the hinson kit laid out with circles around it in different colors and ill tell you how to make it fit, no promises you wont have to modify stuff or it will ever fit though.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

We have worked with Adam to correct his problem, and his new parts are on the way to him.

Please feel free to contact us directly with any questions or concerns.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

wow they actually responded to something. and then didnt really say anything.

Quick Reply: New here doing a ls1 240sx race car