Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In-tank or In-line? 68 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In-tank or In-line? 68 Camaro

I'm having trouble making up my mind and was hoping for some feedback. Initially, the idea was to fabricate an in-tank fuel pump/tank system like the one posted in the conversion sticky by Schitzo (thanks for the info by the way). However, after trying a few times to call tanks inc. and further reading that their support stinks, the idea of having an external fuel pump/tank system seemed like the way to go. But now I see that Year One sells an in-tank fuel pump/tank for $858.00, which is not as bad as $1200 plus the other tanks go for. Has anyone used the Year One tank pn#T8678CS? Or is the external fuel pump still the better way to go?
Old 12-30-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Hmm I didn't know about the year one tank I wonder if they make one for chevelles. A major advantage to an in tank pump is the pump will last longer because it is always being cooled by the fuel. Also it may have better fuel control ability depending on how the tank is baffled.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

They have one for Chevelles, pn#T064CS goes for $884.00. Nice ride BTW.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

You can take a tank out of 96'ish Caprice and make it fit with a little work. Sure beats the hell out of $800+ IMO!

check this out:
http://mcspeed.homestead.com/69_Cama...urrection.html
Old 12-30-2006, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

I put an intank one in my 69 camaro don't know for sure but I heard the in line ones make alot of noise and don't last as long
Old 12-30-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

In-line pumps have been used without issue by many. In-tank pumps are a better solution.

Andrew
Old 01-01-2007, 11:18 PM
drv
Teching In

I started with in line. had a lot of inconsistent flow specially if tank below 1/2. changed to in tank got pump and housing from tanks Inc. Works very well.
http://tanksinc.com/
Old 01-02-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth, I had pretty good service from Tanks inc, and the products are excellent. Maybe they are being overcome by demand, hopefully that will be fixed.

Pat
Old 01-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

Just an update, I called Year One and the rep said that you need to get a diff pump - Holley FP155 instead of the AC Delco pump. So the total with tank, sender, pump, shipping (Cali) comes to a little under $1000, PLUS an 8 week lead time. I'm thinking about going back to the initial idea of using the tanks inc pump. Stu Cool's tank looks great on his journal. I wanted to know how is the tanks inc. baffling when it comes to corners, acceleration, etc. Is it still running good after a year? Also, what do you think about the Yank torque converter, a friend of mine wants to sell his to me. Thanks for the help
Old 01-02-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer in-tank. Especially if some the design makes servicing the pump easy (ie, trap door, etc)
Old 01-02-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For baffles, I am not out roadracing mine, but with a little over 2k miles on the swap I have never experienced fuel starvation. My Tanks Inc tank has a front to back baffle that controls sloshing from side to side, and the tray that the pump sits in to keep fuel around the pick-up. It's not a fancy tank, made of sheet metal, welds are good, all the gasket locations are well set and have threaded backing plates to fasten the filler pipe, sending unit and pump or pick up housing to. It's pretty much a factory quality tank with the extra baffling. Mine was designed to fit a '49-'52 Chevy. They did not have one for a Studebaker, so I studied the dimensions and filler pipes and decided on that one. I had to modify the filler a little bit, but it came out pretty nice. I have about $400 invested in the tank and pump and they definitely serve the purpose. Pretty quiet too, you can hear it when you first turn the key, but once the car is running it barely noticable, just a slight whine.

I am happy with the Yank Converter, I bought it from a guy here on the forum. It drives pretty much like a stock one till you get on it then it flashes up pretty good. The 2800 stall seems just about right for my driving. It's a blast to punch from about a 10 mph roll, car is rolling along nice and quiet, then it revs up and all hell breaks loose. I gotta get the rear suspension working! That's this winters project!

Pat
Old 01-02-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Rock Valley for my tanks. They make a 100% stainless tank with baffled well for the pump, and a the pump is installed (usually a walbro).
Their tanks are a little pricey, but offer great value, in my opnion. I will NEVER EVER run an inline pump again. The in-tank pumps are quiet, last a long time, and just work better.
Rock Valley's customer service is great and their turnaround time on tanks is quick.

Regards, John McGraw

Quick Reply: In-tank or In-line? 68 Camaro