Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After market gauges in 2nd gen T/A

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After market gauges in 2nd gen T/A

I've been looking around for some after market gauges for my 79 trans am. The holes in the instument bezel are 4 inches for the spedo and tach. Autometers spedo and tach come in two sizes, 5 inches and 3 3/8 inches. The holes in the bezel for the other instruments are 2 inches. Autometer makes these gauges in 2 1/16 and 2 5/8 inches. Anybody using these gauges or similar have any advice? Also, when the gauge is measured, What part is actually being measured? Is it only the face of the guage or the entire gauge including the ring? Lastly, how are the gauges held in? Do they attach to the dash bezel do they some how attach somewhere inside the dash?

Thanks
Old 01-09-2007, 03:59 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

they attach to the bezel
Old 01-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Launching!

I am using the ultralite 5" tach and 5" speedo and 2-1/16" fuel, volt, water temp., oil pressure and trans temp. The mounting hole for the tach and speedo is around 4 3/4". I marked the circle with a black marker and used a grinder to enlarge the hole. The smaller gauges are very close to fitting.
The autometer gauges slide in and use a u-shaped piece of aluminum that bolts to the back of the gauge and presses against the back of the turned aluminum dash piece. I had the oil and water gauges in my old TA just pressed in and didn't use the mount piece. If you put gauges where the ac vents were, you may have to remove some of the dash material for clearance if you use the mounting piece.

Last edited by 76LQ9TA; 01-09-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

When you enlarged the tach and spedo holes, how close did it bring the two gauges together? Enlarging the holes seems like the only way to make it work but I don't want to have to enlarge the holes to the point where the new gauges will be touching or on top of one another. I guese my question is if there is enough room to do it without it looking too crowded? The stock location did not look like there was much room for expansion.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Cut out two 5" diameter circles and place them over the speedo and tach holes to see the spacing. I can post a picture later this week when I am home. There was a picture on the internet of a TA with these gauges. The gauges don't cover the turn signal arrows. If they are located correctly, they will just fit from top to bottom on the dash piece.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Ok thanks. Pics would be cool if you have the time. PM me if you want.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Here is a post with a trans am with autometer gauges.
http://www.transamcountry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30

Quick Reply: After market gauges in 2nd gen T/A