Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swap idea... sr20/rb26 in an F-body

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default swap idea... sr20/rb26 in an F-body

It hs become common to see a s13/14/s15 with an ls1 and not going with a sr20/rb/turbo-ka swap. If i had one i would rath do that than a r20, maybe even with a magnason of kenne bell.

However, considering that in order to swap a ls1 in a s14you would need to fabicate motor mounts and other various mods, in order to be successful, can thesame theory be reversed and drop a nissian motor in an f-body.

I KNOW IT IS VERY UNORTHODOXED AND BLASPHEMY EVEN... however, the same thing was said before about droping in a v-8 in a silvia jap. chassis. Now look how common it is!!

I have access to a bare white 98 camaro with a blown engine. Also, i got a hook-up for jdm motors... so i figured, why not, that is what hot roding is all about.

SO anyone ver heard of anything like or knows specfically the mounts specs for a rb26dett? Have been around the various forums and it seems that i'm about 80% convinced that this is gonna work.

Ok, let em' rip!! I'm serious about this and not sme punk kid wasting web space. thanks!
Old 03-13-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont see why not?
Old 03-13-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

is the camaro alredy an ls1 car?
Old 03-13-2007, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

It sounds cool. I love things that are "unorthodox" and/or "blasphemous". However, with that being said, I don't know if it is the most practical route. Sure the SR20DET is a great engine and was used for a little less than 10 years on 240s in japan, but you have to keep in mind that they were powering cars weighing *stock* 2700-2800 lbs. Most people do weight reductions with fiberglass/carbonfiber further reducing their weight to around 2300-2500 lbs. The point is, the 4th gen Fbodies are relatively heavy at 3400 lbs (don't quote me, but it's around there) and the high numbers from the sr20 are only available at high RPMS. Stock, they had 200 HP, sure, but not until 6000RPMS. Perhaps with some major mods you could bring the turbo spool down a little, and with proper mods, you can bring the engine up to (in other words it's strong enough for) 450-500Hp, but I still question the driveability with the Fbody in question. However, if none of this concerns you, I say go for it.
Also, if you really want to go JDM and Nissan, the VG30DETT might be a better choice, which is the engine that powered the 300zx TT.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

i was actually thinking of a rb26dett. Mated with a r25det 5 spd trans.I believe the r34 rb26 was rated close to 300hp, which isn't that far off from a stock ls1 in 98.

m not sure if the camaro hs a v-8 or not, cannot remember really. However, i do have spare ls1 in the garage that i was saving for something fun. Im sure it needs to be cleaned up and over hauled, but nothing major.

I found some mounts from Mckennsey (spell check) but they are for s13/s14 swap. Im thinkin that maybe i can bolt/weld those mounts to the existing k-member. However, i haven't found any info on the dementions of the block, pre/post of the motor mounts.

thanks guys, will have some updates as this build progresses.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Ill trade you my sr20 for an ls1 haha.

And hybridynamics has pushed the sr to over 600whp on stock internals in their drag car.

Id love to see this as much as an ls1 in my engine bay.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

those numbers you are spitting out are peak, not under the curve... a 350 rwhp LS1 will not drive the same as a 350 rwhp SR... RB might be a little closer but still.

that is not really here nor there.

it would definitely be new territory but i am not sure as to the motivation. the first people to swap LS1s in 240s did it because the engine was available/accessible, light, powerful, relatively simple, plentiful, and had a flooded aftermarket and they could put it into a cheap, light chassis.

you are suggesting almost the exact opposite...
Old 03-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Teching In

its true they are peak, I was just saying what the internals are capable of.

With a properly mated turbo to the car it can see 350whp from 3200 rpm to 7800 which is still a pretty nice curve IMO.

If I were you Id stay with the ls1.

However, I would love to see it.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

well I have studied both sides i have a s13/240hatch right now I'm going to be putting a LS1 in shortly I'm moving in two weeks back to houston so money is tight for the moment. The rb26 is a great motor makes great power but you still have alot of fabrication ahead of you still need a r32 crossmember and a rb26dett is about 3500 for the motor and 1200 for a rb25 tranny. so for that cost i can have a ls1/and t56 for just 3600 and the rest of the money could go to a cam or headers. The rb26 makes great power just really expensive also when the starter goes out Autozone doesnt have one. Better know someone in japan lol or buy one on ebay either way it sucks
Old 03-13-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

the thing is, honestly, i wanta t get into something different. I finishing my current camaro right now. She' a 410ci s85, 4l80e vert. I love that camaro and i would never get rid of it!

Before i, was heavy into imports,however, since i was seven, the camaro has always been one of my favorite cars. With time, i understood the power capability of the 2jz and the rb26dett. This one awesome motor and its only 2.5 straight six. Im not looking at dominating everything, that is what the turbo vert is for! But this would be a fun 5 spd track/weekend car with a very dominate motor between the fenders.

I know the area under the curve theory, however, this thingcan rev to 10k and make tons on power. A stock skyline is about 3200-3300lbs. est. So it's not that far off.

we'll see, i dont want to do a supra swap, dont like that motor so much, but a rb26dett isas close to a skyline im probably gonna get, which is fine by me!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my friend has a 1997 nissan 240. its got an SR20DET swap. hes a ford fanatic as well so he appreciates an engine that values response and a wide power band over peaky power.
heres a quick mod list of his:
JWT ECU, S3 Cams, Cobra Maf, 60lb injectors, GT2871r .64 turbo, 3" exhaust, Greddy IM
he runs 20 lbs of boost on pump gas. this is what his dyno chart looks like:

it spools a little faster on the street. it feels like it has NO lag and still makes 400 whp. car moves out god damn good. beats my friends 440 rwhp trans am by a little bit.
IMO, for a 4 popper, it has a great power curve. I wouldn't do it myself, but it would be interesting to see.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

i dont see a difference in difficulty in swapping a ls1 into a s14 and swapping a rb26 into a f-body.

I guess i'll just buy a few of those starters just in case
Old 03-13-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

they make good power but for street driving i would hate the torque over the ls1. on mine dyno chart the ls1 makes right at 275 TQ at 1700rpms. but on the strip it might not be that big of a deal. i just like the instant power at any rpm. just my 2 cents. it should be one of a kind thou. just wondering why rb26dett and not something like a 2jz? dont a 2jz make more power with fewer mods? im not sure.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

the power is not really that great of a concern, that is why i somewhat discounted what i said about driving feel...

i feel more strongly about the rest of my post as well as things that wild1100 brought up like replacement parts that may be a real pain in the *** to get on short (less than a week) notice.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Hey guys, that dyno graph posted above is mine. Thanks Pete for posting it!

I'll address a few quotes, and add my opinions at the bottom

Originally Posted by RallyRed 98
those numbers you are spitting out are peak, not under the curve... a 350 rwhp LS1 will not drive the same as a 350 rwhp SR... RB might be a little closer but still.
At 350 hp, the RB and SR would have very similar curves...on the street a350 hp SR would be quicker than a 350 hp LS1 on the street, and a 350 whp SR 240 on track can run high 11's with a good driver. The biggest thing about the SR and it's power are the people building them. Guys like me who use properly sized turbos and parts will make a great dyno graph (dare I say V8 like)....in fact my turbo car has equal low end OOMPH imo than my build (heads cam, intake, carb, valves, headwork...everything) 302 did....but that may be due to weight of respective cars.

it would definitely be new territory but i am not sure as to the motivation. the first people to swap LS1s in 240s did it because the engine was available/accessible, light, powerful, relatively simple, plentiful, and had a flooded aftermarket and they could put it into a cheap, light chassis.

you are suggesting almost the exact opposite...
I disagree for the SR at least. It used to be harder to get parts about 3 years ago, but now any part I need I can get either locally at the dealer, or ordered within a week. There are a multitude of places in the US now that carry RWD specific SR20 parts now in stock (some of them being actual Nissan Dealers). For the most part tho, most FWD SR20 stuff crosses over.

Originally Posted by obZidian
I know the area under the curve theory, however, this thingcan rev to 10k and make tons on power. A stock skyline is about 3200-3300lbs. est. So it's not that far off.
Very true. An RB IMO would have an easier time pushing the heavier F body, however my S14 is a full option (a/c, power steering, everything) car and probably tips in at around 3000 lbs with gas and me in it...not the lighest car...but it's damn fast...and trust me when I say that...I'm not the typical import owner who's used to a 100 ft lb car, I'm very well versed in V8 power, and understand what big power V8 cars feal and drive like.

Originally Posted by obZidian
we'll see, i dont want to do a supra swap, dont like that motor so much, but a rb26dett isas close to a skyline im probably gonna get, which is fine by me!
Don't discredit the 2jZ....that engine is a VERY stout engine!

Originally Posted by zigroid
my friend has a 1997 nissan 240. its got an SR20DET swap. hes a ford fanatic as well so he appreciates an engine that values response and a wide power band over peaky power.
Hehe thanks for the words bud!

To everyone else, Turbo lag is the biggest pain in the *** IMO. It totally takes the fun out of a car, and makes any racing very dependent on speed/rpms etc...Honestly, anywhere above 3k in my car, just stop the gas, and within a second you're at full 20 psi...this thing really does drive like any N/A v8 car.

Originally Posted by zigroid
400 whp. car moves out god damn good. beats my friends 440 rwhp trans am by a little bit.
Dave is an excellent guy, but we're talking 4 or so cars here from a 30 roll...because of where we were, going any slower or from a dig was not really allowable...we both decided a 'low rpm 2nd' gear roll would be best for both cars, as we would both be out of our powerbands. I hate seeing most import guys wanting to run from a 45 or 50 roll, as that puts them at 4k/5k and in their powerband...that's no measure for how good a car is setup!

Equal result from an Equally powered Cobra too.

Originally Posted by fouz65
they make good power but for street driving i would hate the torque over the ls1. on mine dyno chart the ls1 makes right at 275 TQ at 1700rpms. but on the strip it might not be that big of a deal. i just like the instant power at any rpm.
True, but in reality, how often are you ever even at an RPM below 2500? I knowalot of v8 guys that have 2500 stalls just so they can roll off on cam, and not fight coming up onto it.

In my eyes, 3000/3500 is a good rpm to compare power at. If you look at Idle/1500 rpm graphs, a Ford Lightning would rule, but then look at 4500 k when it's dead, and i'm still making powr to near 8k

I love V8power, but any big cam V8 is equally doggish down low as most turbo cars are in my eyes...

i feel more strongly about the rest of my post as well as things that wild1100 brought up like replacement parts that may be a real pain in the *** to get on short (less than a week) notice.
Again, SR parts are either at local dealers, or a within a week shipped from the US....so not bad at all.

Anywho, my comments now regarding the swap:

It's a neat idea in theory, but by the time you add up the costs in making powerlike mine, or more, you could have created one hell of an LS1 that makes a shitton of power.

Secondly, as previously discussed, we're talking about a pushing a 3500/3700 lb car with driver in it...thats near 800 lbs more...a very big difference.

I also think LS1 swaps became common because of how reliable they are. Not so say MY Sr20 is not realiable (as its daily driver reliable), but most kids do hack jobs installing them, and then have problems forever...where an LS1 swap would take alot of the problems out of the equation!

Again, cool idea, but it would be a bit odd in my eyes...if it was mking 500 hp, then it may be fun, but you've got turbo lag to deal with...and I hate that!
Old 03-14-2007, 12:39 AM
11 Second Club

Don't even think about buying the McKinney mounts. If you can MIG weld, which any idiot can, make your own.

But, I have to wonder, why use an F-body when the Nissan S chassis are so much lighter and just better all-around?

And, yeah, 2JZ would be the ticket as parts will be easier to come by and if you're going to drag it and ultimate power is a possible goal...it's tough to beat.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:56 AM
Launching!

The VG30DETT from a 300ZX makes similar power to the RB26 but creates torque easier. If you want a Nissan engine that would be my choice, the stock bottom end is good for over 650WHP and the forged crank can take well over 1000WHP. The 300ZX also came with the R230 rear end which is physically bigger in size then the ford 9 inch and said to also hold 1000+ hp.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:08 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by codyace
got it, amazing how this site draws everybody in i agree with the SR, my friends in college were WAY too into SRs and they had parts coming in all the time.

i am 100% on board with your conclusion.

my post was assuming he wants to go RB.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:22 AM
Teching In

There is also the VQ,VK, VH from Nissan or even the . You can pick them up for cheap and boost them with a custom setup.There is also the Toyota/Lexus 1UZ-FE, 2UZ-FE, and 3UZ-FE.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

on the street a350 hp SR would be quicker than a 350 hp LS1 on the street, and a 350 whp SR 240 on track can run high 11's with a good driver.
could this be that age old "apples to oranges" comparison i hear so much about? comparing cars that are 1000# different in weight?

Quick Reply: swap idea... sr20/rb26 in an F-body