Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TT LSX into 3rd Gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 07:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT LSX into 3rd Gen

I'm planning on building (depending on how great the price difference) a TT LS1 or LSX (gonna price it when all the parts are available) and swap it into a 3rd gen f-body. Just poking around for motor combinations, parts required for the swap, basically any advice that someone can give. This will not be my first LS1 build, but will be my first swap to a 3rd gen car. My goal is to have an 800+hp street car, 6sp manual with daily driveability (even though it won't be used as such). Basically I want a turn key, drive to the track, blast off some good times, drive home kinda car. This is planned to be a 2 year completion, but depending on how deep I get into it (widening the rear fenders, etc etc) it may take a little longer, but I plan on building the motor this winter. I'd like to have a complete powertrain from engine to rearend by next spring, then start mocking up the parts in a car and doing the fab work for the turbo piping, etc. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Motor combos, places to look for parts, etc. I've already been reading up on thirdgen.org, and one guy is doing an awesome build with a similar setup, except I think he's going roots style forced induction.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Having done a thrid gen LS1 swap I can say that many of the parts are interchangable with the 4th gen cars. You can also buy most of everything else you will need for it.

The rear suspension is all interchangable with the 4th gen cars (the 4th gen axle is slightly wider, but will still fit/ bolt in. you'll just need more backspacing on your rims)

you can buy all the engine mounts, etc.

4th gen gas tank will fit right in (get the plastic tank as the rubber neck is easy to trim. you need to shave an inch or 2 off the neck for proper fit)

the big limitation right now I'd say for the LS1/ 3rd gen swap is the exhaust, but since you're planning on a TT set up you'll need to make custom exhaust anyhow.

There's a thread or 2 on tubular crossmembers over on the 3rdgen.org, most people have good things to say about the Spohn tubular crossmember. You may want to consider one of these for more room/ clearance for your TT set up. Everyone is also saying there's a long leadtime to recieve the part. you may want to order early.

If you have any specific questions regarding installation on the LS1/ 3rd gen cars, let me know.

I hope this is helpful.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

There are several conversion parts available. Search for Hawks Third Gen parts, F-Body Motorsports and there's a conversion forum on www.thirdgen.org

I'd stay with the stock gas tank, there really isn't a gain from using the 4th gen tank; you'll have to connect plastic to metal fuel lines if you do. As said above, several tranny crossmembers are available but it forces the exhaust around them and under the frame rails; this makes your exhaust hang pretty low. On thirdgen you can search for "Drews crossmember", he makes a crossmember that lets the exhaust go under it. If you remove the overflow and wiper fluid tank you should have room for a turbo and pipes, of course a battery relocation will help too.

Good luck.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Great, thanks for the tips so far guys. I do plan on relocating all the parts that are in the front corner of the engine, battery, wiper tanks, etc. As for a fuel tank, I think I am going to try a fuel cell for now. My main concern was the exhaust clearance under the trans crossmember, as all my previous 3rd gens had this issue as well.

I plan on doing a BMR tubular k-member and tubular front suspension. I've heard of people having clearance issues with the Spohn setup as far as the steering components go. Looks like I'm gonna go with the LSX block and LS7 heads.

I know that the Edelebrock carb style TB intake works with the LS2 heads, but what about the LS7 heads? Will it have to be massaged to match the rectangle port heads or do they make one that will interchange?
Old 03-28-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the BMR K-member as well, you'll probably wait a year to get the Spohn piece, if you ordered it. Here's a pic of Drews crossmember:

Quick Reply: TT LSX into 3rd Gen