Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

differences in cables?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default differences in cables?

Anyone have any idea what the differences are between the F-Body battery cables ('98-02) and the full size pickup battery cables ('99-05) are?

I'm coming to a close on my swap, and the F-Body cables are too short, trying to stay somewhat stock, and I'm curious if:

* The truck motors ground in front of the starter like the F-body does (same location - in front of starter)?

* The starter connection for the truck uses the same size ring terminal?

*There are the same number of positive/negative wires coming off the cable end?

* Anyone know the length of both the ground and power cables for the truck?
Old 04-11-2007, 02:20 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The truck + cable goes from the starter, around the front of the block by the oil pan, up the drivers side accy. brackets, to a power distribution box on the accy. bracket, and then has ~24 inches coming out of the dist. block to go to the battery.

The - cable just attaches to the block, I think I attached mine to a bolt by the water pump.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So the truck technically only has a single power cable going to the starter only?

I don't suppose anyone has any pictures of this setup, do they?
Old 04-11-2007, 04:53 PM

I *Think* that my bat + cable had the large diameter battery cable and a second large wire coming off of it to feed the underhood fusebox, but I can`t remember for sure. I cut the end of the cable off and spliced it because I needed more length. I may have some pictures of it on my f-quick account, I could snap some of the engine compartment, but it probably wouldn`t be until friday.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not working on the truck till Sunday, and I'll have access from the hotel in Savannah I'm staying at, so I could potentially stop by a dealership and pick one up if necessary. It doesn't look like I'm going to get my cable ends by Friday as expected, but ... pleasant surprises never cease to amaze, so ...

Here's keeping my fingers crossed that we get to have a first fire-up on Sunday

any pics you can contribute, or any info anyone has on the truck cables is appreciated.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:15 PM

I measured the cable today after it exited the junction box and it is 30" long after the junction box. The junction box is the red box next to the alternator.

There was no way that I could get a tape in to measure the entire length of the cable, sorry.

Quick Reply: differences in cables?