Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 v6firebird to 1999 ls1/auto conversion ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2001 v6firebird to 1999 ls1/auto conversion ?'s

Hello i am fairly new to the site but intend to stick around a while.
here is what i have going, i have a 2001 v6 firebird, but i wanted a formula so i decided to build one instead of buying one. so far i have just did external mods including tinted side and rear windows, avs taillight black outs, 2 12"dvc fosgate subs and amp, suncoast ws6 style hood and airbox kit, i purchased 17" ws6 wheels had them powder coated mettalic gold, purchased some falken tires, recently switched door emblems to formula and added 30th anny style stripes and 30th anny daytona 500 stripes, purchased new tail filler panel had it painted black and installed mettalic gold formula decal and bird, pontiac inlay in bumber formula door decal, head light door decal, windshield pontiac decal. car can be seen by going to http://www.geocities.com/sr71knight/firebird018.jpg
Anyway here is the reason for the post
i just purchased a 99 ls1 with auto trans it has the wiring and computer with it, i also got the instrument cluster and fuel pump-
-question one will the drive shaft have to be changed?
-does anyone know for sure if 01 steering rack is same for v6 and v8 according to a gm catalog site they are the same
-is everyone in agreement that it is best to drop front end to get engine assembly out??
-any additional things required for swap i.e. potential problems with engine pcm being 99 and rest of car 01,
- i am considering slp long headers(good invesment)
-if not headers at least cats, y pipe, and loudmouth cat back, anything better?
-some say pre-00 ls1 have oil pump problems should this be changed engine has 48,xxx miles i am going to go ahead and change plugs and wires.
--i am planning on doing this swap myself unless anyone out there would like to help or know someone with in 150 miles of southeast missouri that would do it up nicely.

thanks for reading and any and all help would be greatly appreciated in this time of anticipation sr71knight@mail.com
Old 04-29-2003, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: 2001 v6firebird to 1999 ls1/auto conversion ?'s

Cool looking ride.
If you don't have a kmember you'll need one for the ls1. I think but am not sure the steering rack will fit if it has the same part#...the one you need has the main box tilted about 15-20degrees towards the drivers side-if it shoots pretty much straight up it won't work. I'd consider bigger injectors as the 99 has dinky ones..I'd also put in a stall while the motor is out as it's much easier to do and you will want one.
Drive shaft should be the same if you have a 1 piece..if it is a 2 piece loose it.
I would go with the motor from the bottom, it works killer. I don't think you'll need the instrument cluster as the 99 and 2001 use the same single signal feed. If that's the case I'll buy your 99 cluster.
I put one in a 99 into a 97 and the wireing was hell. Hopefully yours will be closer. Best bet is to get both year shop manuals or see speartech.
If you are planning to put heads/cam on in the future this would be the time to do it.
You could try Raging Motorsports---> in KC and see if they'd do it. You'd need somone to help just with the muscle and line up part if you do it yourself.
Don't forget you'll need a radiator and look at the ac fittings 'cause you may need to modify 'em. Not sure how the 01 brackets are, you might be able to swap the whole unit, removing it before you drop the motor and reconnecting it after avoiding the system purge.
Rest assured weird things will show up that need changing, stash about $500 for incidentals and multiply your projected time schedule by 2.5.
Good luck! Check out magnus's thread on v6camaro.com
Old 04-29-2003, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

i dont now how far you live from cape, since you only say your locatoin is se mo, but in anna, about a 30-40 min frive from cape, their is a shop calld slingblade performance, and they will proly do the swap for you, they are into the performance stuff, they were goign to do stuff to my car for me, but im goign to sell and buy an older camero and put an ls1 in it, so you might try to call them if your not to far away.

shane
Old 04-29-2003, 04:35 PM
Teching In

thanks for the posts, i forgot to mention i have radiator for it, but was wondering why my k-member would need to be changed?? is it not the same? i am also new to ls1 performance parts what would be the best stall, headers, and possibly cam and heads to get best performance at a reasonable price? thank you, and i am just south of cape will call singleblade and check with them, but am kind of excited about doing it myself, but a little worried too.. sr71knight@mail.com
Old 04-29-2003, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

I just sold someone a complete 99 LS1 drivetrain and converted their 99 v6 camaro to an LS1. If you have everything you need it is an easy swap. It took me less than a week for the complete swap. I also have a 2000 v6 firebird that had an engine fire that I am going to convert to an LS1.

You do have to change the k member, the ls1 will not bolt up to the v6 k member. I am not sure if the steering rack has to replaced. but I did replace it since I just swaped out the complete front suspension. The under hood wiring harness has to be changed. From the research that I have done for the firebird that I am going to convert, a underhood wiring harness from a 2000-2002 ls1 firebird will work, you just have to get a harness that did not have traction control if you are not installing traction control. You will have to replace the gas & brake pedal assembly since the v6 uses electronic throttle. Also the front to rear fuel lines will need to be changed. Listed below is a complete list of everything that I changed, Some items may not need to be changed but I changed them since we converted his car to traction control.

Complete engine & trans
Radiator
Under hood wiring harness
Cruise control module
Air pump
Abs module
LS1 air intake system
K member
transmission crossmember
LS1 exhaust
front to rear fuel lines
fuel pump
rearend
traction control computer & modulator
Pedal assembly
Z28 cluster
Aluminum driveshaft

Hope this helps you some.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:42 PM

I have a 2001 formula with an instrument cluster problem. the tach, speedometer, gas, and temp, periodically dont work. the amps and oil gauge always work. can anyone help?

Quick Reply: 2001 v6firebird to 1999 ls1/auto conversion ?'s