Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference in camaro floors on automatic vs manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Difference in camaro floors on automatic vs manual

I am in the planning stages for my El Camino LS1 / T56 conversion. I know the El Camino floor needs to be cut to make room for the T56. Here is what I would like to do:

I would like to use the camaro interior, e-brake and console. So I was thinking of splicing a large section of the camaro floor into the El Camino floor. This way, I have all the correct mounting points to use the console, e-brake and proper location for the transmission.

Is there a difference between the camaro floor for an automatic versus manual. The donor car is an automatic.

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by enganeer

Is there a difference between the camaro floor for an automatic versus manual. The donor car is an automatic.
There is no difference in the floor pans, but the transmission crossmember is different IIRC.

Mike
Old 06-04-2007, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Thanks,

I picked up a t56 crossmember just in case.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be very surprised if you had to cut anything except a hole into the floor of the Elky. They came with those big autos stock, so I would think a T56 should fit no problem. Might be easier to just use the crossmember for the T56, and fab up some mounting locations on your existing chassis. ?

Good luck with it.

Mike
Old 06-05-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

I would like to see pics if you get them when you are finished
Old 06-05-2007, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

For as much room as you would think would be available on the chevelles, they did not give much vertical clearance, as the tranny's were more wide than tall.

I keep waffling back and forth on whether to just do the LS1 / T56 with the existing El Camino interior or to use all the parts I saved from the Camaro. My El Camino interior is toast from the AZ sun and the dash is a frickin disaster.

However, it will take work and a lot of trial fitting to replace the firewall and floor from the Camaro to match up properly with the engine and transmission for shifter location. But THAT is the challenge. I saw a Camaro dash installed on a Chevelle and it looked darn good plus I would have all the amenities such as HVAC controls and a stereo I could actually mount into.

Quick Reply: Difference in camaro floors on automatic vs manual