Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 swapped into an EVO!

Old 06-11-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 swapped into an EVO!

I searched first so I hope this isn't a repost, but this just looks odd. Something just doesn't look right, but they say the car runs and drives!

Old 06-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Interesting, I would like to see the drivetrain config. The first thing that caught my eye wasn't the motor, moreso the tint of the motor. I'm sure all of you guys are seeing it too.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Here's the original thread on the EVO board...

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=276551
Old 06-11-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's cool!
Old 06-11-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, not to mention the angle at which the motor is sitting. Definatly looks weird. I wonder how it runs.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

something is strange with that setup

a fast90 manifold would have alleviated all need to cut the hood with that setup...
Old 06-11-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

maybe i dont know what im talking about but the SC isnt hooked up. maybe they just rushed it and have not got to that yet.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Teching In

I hope the oil pickup isn't in the front. And even if not They should do some creative baffling or wind age management for that to be remotely reliable.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Motor is sitting at a hellacious angle, that drive shaft has to be hurting. Blower isnt hooked up yet, probably because he still needs to make piping. Notice the air filter.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:14 AM
10 Second Club

will jents

i have seen this car last night it was running ideld prety damn good , ans yes the blower is still no hooked up due to rush to get it on the road for these fotos

i can tell you one thing you should have seen the look on the evo owners face that were there

it was worth 1000000000000000000$
Old 06-12-2007, 03:53 AM
10 Second Club

O yes i 4got ( evo 6 )

my car is next
Old 06-12-2007, 07:30 AM
8 Second Club

guess i should post up the writeup:

Started with a regular run of the mill evo 7 , decided to make it a “real” car by putting a real engine in it.
First the stock evo engine and transaxle were removed from the engine compartment for the mock up process. After placing the mockup ls1 in the engine compartment ( with the proper north-south orientation) it came apparent that the stock evo cross member had to be modified to fit. The [problem was interference with the oil pan and the placement of the steering rack. To address this issue it was decided to relocate the mustang steering rack from the rear to the front of the cross member (converting it from “rear steer” to “ front steer”) , to make this swap possible a whole new cross member was fabricated . The stock front lower control arms attachment points were left in place and the rest was chopped off and replaced with the custom made unit that attaches to those points and frame. To make the relocated steering rack work the left and right steering knuckles were swapped around so the tie rod attachment points were in front of the front axle centerline. Furthermore, the steering shaft had to be modified; it was lengthened because the rack was moved forward and had to be moved outward due to interference with the engine block. The nice thing of the cross member is that it provided ample room for headers to pass through.
The cross member utilized stock Lumina motor mounts and stands to locate the engine, which was placed as far back as possible. The plan was to run a t-56 six speed but it was decided to simplify the process by installing a th-400 first and getting the car running, and then convert it to a six speed. Due to the placement of the engine, the firewall had to be cut and the transmission tunnel “formed” to clear the bell housing. The tranny was mounted using a custom cross member ( read : a welded bar with a hole in the middle ) the cool thing is that the hurst auto shifter pokes up at the same location as the original.

Stock evo radiator handles the cooling, but the fan was swapped to one that cleared the water pump and pulleys. A custom drive shaft connects the tranny to the stock rear diff. Fuel system consists of a Toyota Echo tank placed in the trunk, with dual bosch 420 lph pumps that feed an Aeromotive regulator in the trunk and feeds the engine through –8 braided line. The interior is as stock as an evo can be , except for the hurst shifter that will be shortened to make it look like a stocker and the addition of an 8 pt. Roll cage, the rear seat bottom has been temporarily removed, and incase you are wondering , yes it has a fully functional AC.

The engine is an iron blocked LS1 6.0 with forged diamond pistons and forged rods and crank. Ported heads and victor jr. intake manifold with a 100 mm throttle body. Compression is at 8.5 :1 with a big cam to help with the D1-SC procharger . The intercooler is a custom front mount air-to-air cooler. The only drawback to this setup is that the hood had to be cut a bit to clear the throttle body. The headers were custom made in alotaibi exhaust shop and are full-length headers with one bullet muffler on each side (no H or x pipe yet). Incase you were wondering why the gas tank was relocated to the trunk its because the stock tanks were removed to make room for real mufflers in the near future.

as for the blower piping , its all there , including the intercooler. its just off cause the drive pully was damaged.
the engine angle is just fine, its the slope of the hood that is big.

as for the oil pickup , its just a camaro pick up and pan.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:13 AM
8 Second Club

and incase you are wondering, it didn't cost an arm and a leg. most of the done was done in his garage. a major part of the funding for the project came from selling the old evo engine,tranny and xfer case ( i even think he still some left ) . the blower came off his gto. and he assembeled the engine with forged pistons and rods.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:16 AM
8 Second Club

as for the AWD system , it will come eventually. planning to use the tranny, transfercase, front diff and oilpan from an envoy to make it work.

currently the car is lighter than original. the front coilovers are lowered all the way and the tire/fender gap is bigger than stock!

Last edited by 1dirtyZ; 06-12-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sultan(ZR-1)KSA
will jents

i have seen this car last night it was running ideld prety damn good , ans yes the blower is still no hooked up due to rush to get it on the road for these fotos

i can tell you one thing you should have seen the look on the evo owners face that were there

it was worth 1000000000000000000$
OMG, someone please take away this person's keyboard.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:51 AM
8 Second Club

LOOOOL , i have to translate his posts every now and then
we love you sultan!
Old 06-12-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats pretty sweet!
Old 06-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Hmm, I thought about doing this to my 95 Eclipse but never thought engine would fit. Engine bay seems small.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

not digging this one....
Old 06-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by StevenK
OMG, someone please take away this person's keyboard.
LMAO

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 swapped into an EVO!