Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3/4L60E into a 68 elcamino??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 5.3/4L60E into a 68 elcamino??

Hey guys, I have the opportunity to get a 5.3/4L60E out of a new chevy truck...What all is involved in getting this combo to fit in my 68 elcamino? I have read about oil pan swaps, trans tunnel cutting, A/C compressor swapping...Is this all necessary? Any help would be great!
Old 06-20-2007, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's only necessary if you need it to fit. This all depends on what you have and what you are putting it into. I am not familiar with the truck accessories, so you may want to post what model and year.

The oil pan I believe for the chevelle needs to be a f-body or cts-v. Unless you good with welding aluminum, and then you can modify the truck one. The F-bodies and cts-v oil pans fit around the chevelle engine crossmember better and less likely to have interference problems with the center link and tie rod ends.

As for the floor, you would need to cut if installing a t56 6 speed.

Is the 4l60E a 2wd or 4wd? If 2wd, I believe you may have to do some minor adjustment to the floor with a hammer for clearance. 4wd wont work as the transmission case is shorter to mate with the transfer case.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Must swap into the A-Body's with a 4L60e does not require any trans tunnel cutting, it might require a bit of reforming with 3lb hammer.

Depending on which style of adapter plates you use will also tell you what Oil Pan direction you take. If using the S&P style of plates, you will need to modify/cut the oil pan and use relocated accessories in may cases. If using the BRP style of plates, you can used a stock F-body (will be tight) or the CTS-V oil pan. With the BRP, you can use the OEM Accessories and mounts, with the exception of the AC compressor, but a notch in the front of the x-member will resolve that problem.

Depending on which trans and x-member you have, you many be able to modify the Trans x-member or buy/build a new one. Drive shaft will need to be shorten.

You will need to modify your fuel system to handle a 58lbs pressure requirement of the LSx Fuel system. So.. depending on your budget.. you can get a custom tank with a intank pump or external pump from Rick's Hot Rod or Valley. Other options are to modify your 68 Elky tank, TanksINC is a good choice or else you wiill have to baffle and slump your tank to keep it from staving. You can use your current hard line if it is a 3/8" line or replace the whole line. many people use SS and AN fittings, but it is not really needed, good OEM or replacement lines and clamps will do for the budget minded swappers. You will need a return line to the tank and a regulator, many opt for the 99 Vette Fuel Filter regulator (both in one unit) and has a return line in it.

I think this should give you enough to think about and come up with specific question next time.

Many of other A and G body swaps will give you good information, just search for them. check out my cardomain site on my project swap, link in my sig.

Good luck.

Last edited by bczee; 06-20-2007 at 10:58 PM.